• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

You guys think that is enough for its own forum?

Yes.

Yes, and there would be more if it had it's own forum I think.

Good point. With a dedicated WTB forum I might take the time more often to post books I'm looking for. Not to mention taking the time to read other want lists.

why not, as they are just responding to a collectors request to buy.....

you'd think the requests need to be specific....instead of .....wanted to buy all SA keys in VF or better.

so can "dealers" sell on this WTB forum? just trying to clarify here
I would assume so

I would think if a dealer had the book(s) listed in the WTB thread, he could state so, give a scan, condition, price....that would be fine. What I would not want to see is a dealer continuously posting his link in every WTB thread.

However, in reality, whoever has posted the WTB thread has probably already checked the main dealers websites and either they do not have the book in question or they do not have it in the desired condition/price.

so can "dealers" sell on this WTB forum? just trying to clarify here
I would assume so

I would think if a dealer had the book(s) listed in the WTB thread, he could state so, give a scan, condition, price....that would be fine. What I would not want to see is a dealer continuously posting his link in every WTB thread.

However, in reality, whoever has posted the WTB thread has probably already checked the main dealers websites and either they do not have the book in question or they do not have it in the desired condition/price.

Not exactly true. My inventory turns over very fast. I may have just gotten in that day certain books that boarders are looking for. So it's not even up on my site yet. It's sad for me to say that sometimes it takes 2 weeks + to get books entered into the system with grades, prices and scans.

or their like me and don't have time to check all dealers sites, but still wants the book.

Yup, or they want to be catered to. Sometimes dealers can be a pain in the 893censored-thumb.gif to deal with. On the boards, you may get multiple offers from boarders that have the same book in the same grade depending on scarcity. Then you just sit back, look at scans, prices etc and pick which one you want.

• Administrator
39 WTB new threads over the last week.

154 in the last month.

NO

I would expand on your reasons for wanting to keep it as one forum if you'd like your thoughts to get serious consideration.

Thanks,

Arch

154 in the last month.

NO

I would expand on your reasons for wanting to keep it as one forum if you'd like your thoughts to get serious consideration.

Thanks,

Arch

ok Arch, I saw someone post "yes" and I thought you were just asking for a raising of the hands so to speak.

Basically I'm an advocate for status quo in this case. In my opinion most WTB are not long standing requests and they usually get filled within a day or two. The people who have your book for sale respond very very quickly in my experience so there really isn't a need for bumping it.

The long standing wish lists Mutant Keys mention are better off being placed in your signature line for everyone to see whenever you post.

Don't create yet another forum that will get very little traffic like the Ebay/dealer section. I hardly ever visit that area.

Just my $0.02

154 in the last month.

NO

Thanks,

Arch

ok Arch, I saw someone post "yes" and I thought you were just asking for a raising of the hands so to speak.

Basically I'm an advocate for status quo in this case. In my opinion most WTB are not long standing requests and they usually get filled within a day or two. The people who have your book for sale respond very very quickly in my experience so there really isn't a need for bumping it.

The long standing wish lists Mutant Keys mention are better off being placed in your signature line for everyone to see whenever you post.

Don't create yet another forum that will get very little traffic like the Ebay/dealer section. I hardly ever visit that area.

Just my $0.02

I know that the forum would get significant traffic. To relate it to ebay/dealer section is like apples and oranges as the WTB section is forum specific and the ebay/dealer section is not.

Many WTB posts are never ending like Bronty's and he just keeps bumping his Barks requests. My WTB post I would love to bump every so often, but I don't want to clog the main page up.

154 in the last month.

NO

Thanks,

Arch

Just my $0.02

I know that the forum would get significant traffic. To relate it to ebay/dealer section is like apples and oranges as the WTB section is forum specific and the ebay/dealer section is not.

Many WTB posts are never ending like Bronty's and he just keeps bumping his Barks requests. My WTB post I would love to bump every so often, but I don't want to clog the main page up.

Hey I'm not STRONGLY opposed or anything. You could be right.

However, one thing that could happen (and this is no slam to you dealer types) is that this new WTB section becomes frequented more and more by dealers with high prices rather than the sweet forum pricing we have come to love from our fellow collectors who would frequent this area less. I would not be a fan of that.

That's a good point and that's also a question I can't answer since I'm more of the dealer type and would, of course, frequent that forum. I'll defer on this one.

Who cares who frequents it? If I put up a WTB post, I couldn't care less who fills it. Lowest price wins. If a zilliion dealers respond to a WTB post, the price will come down.

• Administrator
That's a good point and that's also a question I can't answer since I'm more of the dealer type and would, of course, frequent that forum. I'll defer on this one.

Who cares who frequents it? If I put up a WTB post, I couldn't care less who fills it. Lowest price wins. If a zilliion dealers respond to a WTB post, the price will come down.

I tend to agree with this. Why does it matter who responds? Will forum members be LESS likely to respond simply because dealers are responding also?

I tend to agree with this. Why does it matter who responds? Will forum members be LESS likely to respond simply because dealers are responding also?

I think Buckeye's point was that "true" forum members will frequent that forum less and it will become a dealer centric selling forum.

I disagree to some extent. 1) The line between dealer and collector is blurred 2) many forum members are always looking to unload what they have, sell their doubles etc, or just help out fellow forum members 3) if the prices being offered are too high, then the forumites won't buy. Most buyers here on the boards are extremely savvy about what to pay for the books they are looking for, and let me tell you, it's not high retail, for the most part.

In the words of Bob Kaufman, of Bob's Dicount Furniture, "I DOUBT it!" (For you NE board members.)

Plus, it will make the Market less cluttered. sumo.gif

Perhaps it will just be another forum, that in principle makes sense, but in practice is abused . . . grin.gif

I find very little use for the marketplace forum now, and find myself simply scanning the sellers names - you can no longer see the forest from the trees. makepoint.gif