• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

That's a good point and that's also a question I can't answer since I'm more of the dealer type and would, of course, frequent that forum. I'll defer on this one.

Who cares who frequents it? If I put up a WTB post, I couldn't care less who fills it. Lowest price wins. If a zilliion dealers respond to a WTB post, the price will come down.

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

Also, dealers that are asking more for their books than the "forum market" is willing to pay are unlikely to continue to even bother responding if their posts aren't being met with sales.

That's a good point and that's also a question I can't answer since I'm more of the dealer type and would, of course, frequent that forum. I'll defer on this one.

Who cares who frequents it? If I put up a WTB post, I couldn't care less who fills it. Lowest price wins. If a zilliion dealers respond to a WTB post, the price will come down.

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

Also, dealers that are asking more for their books than the "forum market" is willing to pay are unlikely to continue to even bother responding if their posts aren't being met with sales.

I think that's the laissez-riche theory insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Exactly. thumbsup2.gif

Hell...I just be happy with a response to one of my WTB threads... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Jim

Seperate the forums...that way WTB and FS will no longer be necessary...

Methinks this is a good idea just because of it's elegance in simplicity... wink.gif

I do think that will help. I never liked the idea of "forcing" someone to use the "correct" FS terminology instead of writing out 'Superfella # 44 for sale'

And seeing people getting smacked on the wrist with a ruler for not doing so was too rigid.

So if the "forced" terminology goes away then I'd be all in favor of the split.

Now that we have the banner ads, and no holds barred for the forum-only thread . . . grin.gif why not just shut down the eBay dealer thread and make just two marketplace threads: "Funny Books For Sale" and "Funny Books Wanted" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

wink.gif

I tend to agree with this. Why does it matter who responds? Will forum members be LESS likely to respond simply because dealers are responding also?

gossip.gif Spammers without relent gossip.gif

Maybe it's time to seriously start addressing the issue what to do about bad sellers/buyers...

More and more situations like these seem to be happening

Naughty Seller

I think I know to whom you are referring... gossip.gif

I think there should be a minimum post count to be able to sell here confused-smiley-013.gif

Anything over 12700 posts should be about right. stooges.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif hey, did you get my PM, I forgot which books I bought from your site makepoint.gif

I think there should be a minimum post count to be able to sell here confused-smiley-013.gif

While I agree with the sentiment of this idea, I think all it will do is encourage spamming from questionable sellers/buyers. Not to mention, there are several low post count buyers and sellers that I have had very nice transactions with. "Throwing out the baby with the bath water" comes to mind...

I think posting a thread about bad sellers/buyers is probably the only realistic way for us to address the issue right now.

While I agree with the sentiment of this idea, I think all it will do is encourage spamming from questionable sellers/buyers. Not to mention, there are several low post count buyers and sellers that I have had very nice transactions with. "Throwing out the baby with the bath water" comes to mind...

I think posting a thread about bad sellers/buyers is probably the only realistic way for us to address the issue right now.

this is probably all pointless as I don't know if Arch's software could even be tweaked to not allow someone access to this area until some numbers have occurred. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it were possible I think ten posts should occur before being able to conduct a sale here. A spammer is usually figured out in those first couple of posts. And having a low number like ten might be a good compromise for what Oldguy is saying.

My guess is the moderators would want no active part of the buying/selling threads. They already have a blurb absolving themselves of any comittments or responsibility regarding sales and I'd be surprised if they took a more active role

Seems to me commons sense is all that's required. If the seller is new and noone can vouch for them, stay away. Especially if their prices are strangely low and no scans are provided. I understand the feeling of wanting to not miss a great deal, but it's still a risk with a noob. Like everyone else here, if they take the time to build trust slowly, and establish relationships, they will be fine. .

My guess is the moderators would want no active part of the buying/selling threads. They already have a blurb absolving themselves of any comittments or responsibility regarding sales and I'd be surprised if they took a more active role

Seems to me commons sense is all that's required. If the seller is new and noone can vouch for them, stay away. Especially if their prices are strangely low and no scans are provided. I understand the feeling of wanting to not miss a great deal, but it's still a risk with a noob. Like everyone else here, if they take the time to build trust slowly, and establish relationships, they will be fine. .

Yeah, it always comes down to the same thing : Caveat Emptor