• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Some more odds and ends on buying and selling.

If the comic you list for sale doesn't sell, you really don't need to ask everyone why it didn't sell. Either the price was too high, or there isn't a specific buyer for that book currently checking out the For Sale thread. Or both.

That's the reason it didn't sell, not because you forgot your deoderant. Generally speaking, if your book or ones like it are consistant sellers on other venues, then your price is too high for the grade it looks (notice its not the grade you give it). Otherwise the books you have are not in demand (ie they suck)

If a buyer wants a discount it really should be done once and in increments of 5% or at least $5 or greater for comics less than $100. Or ask for free postage or free extra comics but asking for $10 off a $300 book is just plain annoying.

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed. gossip.gifflowerred.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I think I've seen himpost a new thread for every book he sells. makepoint.gif

If the comic you list for sale doesn't sell, you really don't need to ask everyone why it didn't sell. Either the price was too high, or there isn't a specific buyer for that book currently checking out the For Sale thread. Or both.

That's the reason it didn't sell, not because you forgot your deodorant. Generally speaking, if your book or ones like it are consistent sellers on other venues, then your price is too high for the grade it looks (notice its not the grade you give it). Otherwise the books you have are not in demand (i.e., they suck)

If a buyer wants a discount it really should be done once and in increments of 5% or at least $5 or greater for comics less than $100. Or ask for free postage or free extra comics but asking for $10 off a $300 book is just plain annoying.

Once the spelling has all been corrected . . . these are very good points grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

That's the reason it didn't sell, not because you forgot your deodorant. Generally speaking, if your book or ones like it are consistent sellers on other venues, then your price is too high for the grade it looks (notice its not the grade you give it). Otherwise the books you have are not in demand (i.e., they suck)

Once the spelling has all been corrected . . . these are very good points grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ok, I'll disagree, just for fun. I feel pretty strongly thay buyers, sellers, pretty much whoever, can post/ask whatever they want to whomever they want, including asking why their books aren't selling. Nothing wrong with requesting a little feedback as long as they are prepared for the answer, which could be 'your books suck' or 'your prices are wacky, sailor'.

And no harm in making an offer, even a lowball offer. Don't like the offer, say no.

Long live the first amendment!! acclaim.gif

...and a few more odds and ends re: buying:

If you post the takeit.gif graemlin in a FS thread, PLEASE be ready to close the deal within a day or two at the most, unless you've made other arrangements with the seller (in this case, ME!) beforehand. I've been getting hit lately with a rash of "I'll pay you as soon as my books sell on eBay" excuses, and/or other variations on the old "I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" technique.

That's BS. Making payment terms before you commit to buy is fine and encouraged, and there are always emergency circumstances which can legitimately delay payment. But this kind of comics "check kiting" is just not fair to sellers, nor to other buyers who may have wanted the books you're sitting on and would have paid promptly.

Thanks!

-Mikey

If you post the takeit.gif graemlin in a FS thread, PLEASE be ready to close the deal within a day or two at the most, unless you've made other arrangements with the seller (in this case, ME!) beforehand. I've been getting hit lately with a rash of "I'll pay you as soon as my books sell on eBay" excuses, and/or other variations on the old "I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" technique.

That's BS. Making payment terms before you commit to buy is fine and encouraged, and there are always emergency circumstances which can legitimately delay payment. But this kind of comics "check kiting" is just not fair to sellers, nor to other buyers who may have wanted the books you're sitting on and would have paid promptly.

Thanks!

-Mikey

I agree with Mikey and aren't we supposed to be better than e-bay. I know some of you must be thinking, how can Miss pay on payday say that.

My point is that it's so simple to send off a quick PM to make arrangements or request permission to pay on a certain date. If the book is a wicked deal and gets snapped up before you can send a PM then it's my fault for not having funds available when the book is posted. I never hit the takeit.gif and then begin the bargaining and we should all try to stick to these simple common sense guidelines.

thanks.

Thanks!

-Mikey

I agree with Mikey and aren't we supposed to be better than e-bay. I know some of you must be thinking, how can Miss pay on payday say that.

My point is that it's so simple to send off a quick PM to make arrangements or request permission to pay on a certain date. If the book is a wicked deal and gets snapped up before you can send a PM then it's my fault for not having funds available when the book is posted. I never hit the takeit.gif and then begin the bargaining and we should all try to stick to these simple common sense guidelines.

thanks.

I always PM ahead if I need time to pay. Most of the times when I list books....I list them because I need cash immediately.

Nothing worse than posting a book at a reduced rate to provoke an instant sale, only to have the buyer tell you they'll send the cash in a week from now. tonofbricks.gif

At what point is it OK to resell items if items are not paid for? I missed out on one purchase I wanted because of waiting on payment and now I have an opportunity for another item and need the funds. Would a week with no responses to pms be Ok if you know the other party read them?

Not wishing to p!ss on anyone's bonfire, but I'd rather we didn't turn into eBay-lite around here. There seem to be a number of sales threads recently headlined by versions on the 'LQQK!!! MUST SEE!!!! KEYS!!!! GEM MINTS!!!!'

Could we not simply state the type of books, maybe titles, the grade range, and whether they're priced under Guide/discounted/new prices? (shrug)

If I'm wrong, tell me... :(