• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAGE GUIDELINES - comment thread
3 3

1,589 posts in this topic

Seems like it's been happening forever, though. Someone will post a list of books in the Announcement thread and then only some of them will actually appear for sale.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe the main purpose of the Announcement thread is to cage some prelisiting offers. hm

Yeah, I guess the thing that's lame is saying one thing and doing another.

If someone posts pics of books in the announcement thread and says "I'll be listing books from this stash later in a sales thread. If you see anything you're interested in before then, PM me"...not lame.

If someone posts pics in a sales thread and says "I'll be listing these in this thread later" and then preemptively sells them, that's lame.

I think the latter case is what Andy's initial example referred to.

Not sure a rule is the answer...seems more suited for public shaming. :devil:

Edited by edowens71

Yeah, I guess the thing that's lame is saying one thing and doing another.

If someone posts pics of books in the announcement thread and says "I'll be listing books from this stash later in a sales thread. If you see anything you're interested in before then, PM me"...not lame.

If someone posts pics in a sales thread and says "I'll be listing these in this thread later" and then preemptively sells them, that's lame.

I think the latter case is what Andy's initial example referred to.

Not sure a rule is the answer...seems more suited for public shaming. :devil:

Yes! The more of that, the better! :D

I have announced my first :takeit: in the sales forum. I want to follow the rules and start acquiring Kudos so I can begin buying more and putting seller's minds at ease.

Question: Is it my job to contact the seller and say, "What's your paypal address so I can send funds?" or do I wait for the seller to contact me? The seller does not have a paypal address listed in his opening page. I have not found rules about who contacts whom anywhere.

Just want to play by the rules and buy comics.

Edited by NoMan

Most don't post the address as Google will then show it and spam mail shall follow.

No real harm in pm the seller saying hey what's your pp I'll fire over funds...i can't think of many that don't want to be paid right away. (some sellers may put in thread invoices sent after thread closes though). Communication is key here many problems would be resolved if people talked.

Congrats on picking something up.

Most don't post the address as Google will then show it and spam mail shall follow.

No real harm in pm the seller saying hey what's your pp I'll fire over funds...i can't think of many that don't want to be paid right away. (some sellers may put in thread invoices sent after thread closes though). Communication is key here many problems would be resolved if people talked.

Congrats on picking something up.

Thanks! I would PM him but this is my thinking: The individual is listing lots of books in cycles over several days. I'm thinking the seller is going to post all books then contact buyers. It seems quite a big endeavor to post w/pictures over a hundred books and I don't want to hassle him with a PM, just yet. I'm figuring the man is busy.

I'm new here, want to begin buying more expensive books and don't want sellers to be weary of that fact I'm new so playing by rules and acquiring Kudos is important to me.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Selling for first time (few times) can be a bit of a challenge, establishing your bona fides. Although I've seen new members often jump right in with sales thread when they are established Ebay sellers and they give reference to their ebay ID.

But buying for the first few times is much less of an issue - first "take it," and then pay. As mentioned, you can wait for the seller to send PM-invoice, or just shoot them a PM. Even when busy with a sales thread, they'll soon get to it.

I've never heard someone complain that they've gotten too many PMs (even when accurate).

People here love using PMs. And even if you jumped in with your very first post and bought Amaz. Spiderman #1 instead of Doc Strange 1, the seller will be happy to take your money before he ships the book. Authenticating yourself as a buyer rarely seems an issue - just give 'em the money.

Selling for first time (few times) can be a bit of a challenge, establishing your bona fides. Although I've seen new members often jump right in with sales thread when they are established Ebay sellers and they give reference to their ebay ID.

But buying for the first few times is much less of an issue - first "take it," and then pay. As mentioned, you can wait for the seller to send PM-invoice, or just shoot them a PM. Even when busy with a sales thread, they'll soon get to it.

I've never heard someone complain that they've gotten too many PMs (even when accurate).

People here love using PMs. And even if you jumped in with your very first post and bought Amaz. Spiderman #1 instead of Doc Strange 1, the seller will be happy to take your money before he ships the book. Authenticating yourself as a buyer rarely seems an issue - just give 'em the money.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I have a collection that I would like to sell whole (hundreds of slabs) to a dealer or collector. I'm not willing to ship the collection (at least for the time being) so the transaction would be local, in cash. Would it be ok to advertise here on the forums? If so, which particular forum would be appropriate?