• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,810 posts in this topic

I don’t collect Four Color comics as a series. I have great admiration for those who do though. A very tough but rewarding endevor. That being said, I do have MANY of them in my collection though.

Over the years I have become a sucker for those matte cover issues. From maybe 1947-1948 maybe. The ones with the little round Dell logo. The matte covers really make the color jump and are usually very rich. Also seems like some of the best issues of all characters are in this era. Just love them no matter what the character. 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t collect Four Color comics as a series. I have great admiration for those who do though. A very tough but rewarding endevor. That being said, I do have MANY of them in my collection though.

Over the years I have become a sucker for those matte cover issues. From maybe 1947-1948 maybe. The ones with the little round Dell logo. The matte covers really make the color jump and are usually very rich. Also seems like some of the best issues of all characters are in this era. Just love them no matter what the character. 

It’s such a massive series too…would be difficult to complete the entire run these days.  Personally, I look for any being sold already slabbed…like a cover I really enjoy.  I don’t really collect them raw because I don’t sub anymore.  A few here and there, but barely a drop in the bucket.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:34 AM, Galen130 said:

It’s such a massive series too…would be difficult to complete the entire run these days.  Personally, I look for any being sold already slabbed…like a cover I really enjoy.  I don’t really collect them raw because I don’t sub anymore.  A few here and there, but barely a drop in the bucket.

You do realize you can still collect them raw as well. They look so purty in a nice clean mylar too…:baiting:

I'm certainly not trying for the full run, way too big a project.  But I do enjoy grabbing cheap issues when I spot them, for no reason other than they're part of the four color series.  And there's lots of issues I want for various reasons.

Maybe I should figure out how many Looney Tunes related books there are other than the basic Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig runs, and start trying to get those.  That seems like a large but not insane project...

On 8/30/2022 at 10:42 AM, Robot Man said:

You do realize you can still collect them raw as well. They look so purty in a nice clean mylar too…:baiting:

Yeah, I'm trying to reduce my entire raw collection as much as possible.  I only keep a few comics that I really want, like cool 4-color covers.  I don't want to increase my collection with the complete Four Color comic run.  That's a lot. lol

On 8/30/2022 at 9:49 AM, OtherEric said:

I'm certainly not trying for the full run, way too big a project.  But I do enjoy grabbing cheap issues when I spot them, for no reason other than they're part of the four color series.  And there's lots of issues I want for various reasons.

Maybe I should figure out how many Looney Tunes related books there are other than the basic Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig runs, and start trying to get those.  That seems like a large but not insane project...

At this point in my life, I feel fairly complete with what I want. I have written of a few books like Suspense #3, COC #19, Crime Patrol #15 and several others. Still very close on FH and Schomburg Nedors that aren’t out of the realm of possibility. No way would I take on a big run like the FCs. But I do buy a few here and  there just for fun. Just last week, I ran into a few pretty high grade Spin & Marty and a couple TV show issues for 3 for $10. Just fun & nostalgic. 

On 8/30/2022 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

At this point in my life, I feel fairly complete with what I want. I have written of a few books like Suspense #3, COC #19, Crime Patrol #15 and several others. Still very close on FH and Schomburg Nedors that aren’t out of the realm of possibility. No way would I take on a big run like the FCs. But I do buy a few here and  there just for fun. Just last week, I ran into a few pretty high grade Spin & Marty and a couple TV show issues for 3 for $10. Just fun & nostalgic. 

Most of the ones I grabbed at ECCC were in the $1-$3 range.  The only one over $10 was the Daffy 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, OtherEric said:

Most of the ones I grabbed at ECCC were in the $1-$3 range.  The only one over $10 was the Daffy 

Aahhhh ... if only that was still the case. I remember when that was possible but the ones I have left won't come that way unfortunately.

As for your other question, when I started on the run, I made the following chart indicating how many issues of each title are buried in the second series. If you want the whole list, PM me and you can quickly get an idea of how many Looney Tunes related issues there are.

From the list below, you are looking at 28 Bugs, 26 Porkys, 16 Elmers, 3 Daffys, 3 Tweety & Sylvesters, etc.

Name Count
Mickey Mouse 30
Donald Duck 29
Bugs Bunny 28
Zane Grey 27
Porky Pig 26
Oswald the Rabbit 20
Duck Album 17
Francis The Famous Talking Mule 17
Santa Claus Funnies 17
Andy Panda 16
Elmer Fudd 16
Woody Woodpecker 16
Goofy 15
Zorro 14
Johnny Mack Brown 13
Roy Rogers 13
Little Beaver 12
The Little Rascals 12
Tillie the Toiler 12
Frosty the Snowman 11
Little Lulu 10
Pluto 10
The Brownies 10
The Two Musketeers 10
Chilly Willy 9
Fury 9
Raggedy Ann & Andy 9
Silvertip 9
The Little People 9
Uncle Wiggily 9
Buck Jones 8
Daisy Duck's Diary 8
Flash Gordon 8
King of the Royal Mounted 8
Popeye 8
Smokey the Bear 8

On 8/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, Scrooge said:

... and, yes, I have all the 17 Francis, the talking mule comics :facepalm:

It's out on Blu Ray.

https://www.amazon.com/Francis-Talking-Mule-Collection-Haunted/dp/B09TTYZPZT/ref=sr_1_6?crid=18847Y9XZYETW&keywords=francis+the+talking+mule+complete+collection&qid=1661915883&sprefix=francis+the+%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-6

Not that I knew that before looking it up just now. :whistle:

It has been quite a project to try and collect  all of the four colors,  especially through trading.

In the early days of the quest I would take most any condition in a trade as long as it filled a hole.  At least a Place Holder

AS i brought the missing issues to under 100  I added  maybe 200 hundred books (2.5 or below)  to the want to upgrade  section.  

Now the missing books is closer to 60 and I upgraded nearly 100 of my worst copies so I added quite a few more by raising the upgrade level to 3.0

On 9/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, kaculler said:

Two more issues arrived today - Four Color #64 and #251.  The Hubert issue doesn't show up very often, though there is another decent copy on eBay now that was just listed.

I have 54 issues left - 33 from 1-99, 9 from the 100s, 8 from the 200s, and 1 each from the 300s, 500s, 600s, and 800s.

fc 64.jpeg

fc 251.jpeg

I went the opposite way.  I have been focusing on higher grades for the later issues  and mainly focusing  on anything acceptable in the under 200 categories.  As such I only need 8 issues below 100  and only missing 110  from that range

More recent additions during the Pandemic years

fc 1071 bc.jpg

fc 1071 Real McCoys.jpg

fc 1097 bc.jpg

fc 1097 Rawhide.jpg

fc 1102 bc.jpg

fc 1102 Wanted Dead or Alive.jpg

fc 1186 bc.jpg

fc 1186 Yak Yak.jpg

finally  updated  my thank you list  which recognizes  where each book in my collection came from.  Working towards having BOLD for every books that is either Graded  or high grade.

Will probably also have italics  for all 200 books that could use an upgrade.

I do not think I have published this  in a few years

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_01.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_02.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_03.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_04.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_05.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_06.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_07.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_08.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_09.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_10.jpg

FourColorInventoryAUG2022_Page_11.jpg