• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

A win from the last Clink auction arrived this week. I have been looking for this book since the 70's so it was nice to finely snag a decent copy. It is a CGC 7.0 but I rescued it from it's plastic cell and let it out to run free!

Great backup story with Dumbo and the Seven Dwarfs. Funny how Thumper meets the Seven Dwarfs came out prior to this book's release. Makes you wonder who thought up that early team up!!

Congrats on picking up an elusive book :applause:

Thanks! Is anyone on these boards familiar with the early work done by Don and Maggie Thompson in investigating the Four Color series? I believe they were the first to figure out the publishing schedule or at least write about it in early fanzines. I would be curious if anyone knows where they first published their research. I have some late sixties issues of their fanzine Newfangles but I think that was after they had published the Color / Four Color information.

Also, does anyone know the story behind the various Dell / Western Publishing file copies?

Finally, some of you Four Color fans might get a kick out of the following pictures, which I snapped in Racine Wisconsin a few years back. I detoured over there on the way to Millwaukee and asked a postman if he knew where the old Western Publishing building was and sure enough he gave me good directions. These were the Racine headquarters of Western Publishing although they also had offices in New York city, Los Angeles and I believe Poughkeepsie, NY.

Enjoy, and if anyone has any good Western Publishing stories, please share or point me to them on the boards.

70326.jpg.d9c771e167bf93e05bc09229d769199b.jpg

70327.jpg.d1766a2fb74d0afbd74d622028cff5e4.jpg

70328.jpg.80d0fb56c98acbde090bccb80354a8a9.jpg

70329.jpg.65ce9060565d8f3cedd72f04d9491ba3.jpg

Was reading # 234. Never trust Dumbo to save you ...

I love seeing copies like mine here!

And they have inside pages too? Good stuff!

Which story is that? Iss ue is well indexed at GCD.

Tony Strobl on Sky Voyage

Gil Turner on Dumbo and Little Pedro

Don Gunn on Dumbo the Musician

All those names draw a blank for me -- the legions of undercredited Disney artists.

Jack

Which story is that? Issue is well indexed at GCD.

Tony Strobl on Sky Voyage

Gil Turner on Dumbo and Little Pedro

Don Gunn on Dumbo the Musician

That's a page from the Little Pedro story. Little Pedro is the young plane mail carrier flying with Dumbo at the end of the story (thumbs u

I bought this at a yard sale amongst some old school books from the 1950's. Someone (as many people did back then) used this classic Uncle Scrooge 4-color cover to make a book cover. What a waste! :( Should be in Geppi's Museum showing people why comics are so rare in high grade today!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

On a chemistry textbook -- what a waste of an Uncle Scrooge cover!Seriously, if you'd ever like to get rid of this abomination, let me know.Thanks for the most unusual pix of the day.Jack

I bought this at a yard sale amongst some old school books from the 1950's. Someone (as many people did back then) used this classic Uncle Scrooge 4-color cover to make a book cover. What a waste! :( Should be in Geppi's Museum showing people why comics are so rare in high grade today!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

looking for some low grade Dell 4 colors to purchase

hope its ok to ask for these here

I am looking for low grade but complete copies of 4c 5,6,7,27,38,63,94 and 98, torn - cover loose cf loose etc are fine

thanks

bob