• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber 7's and above please! Can I see a 10?

661 posts in this topic

MickeyMouse41935.jpg

OK Bluechip, I rarely have anything to contribute in these rarefied circles, however . . .

I picked this up many years ago. This is as it presented, I certainly didn't do anything to it:

MickeyMouse4442x600.jpg

My question for you is: what does the inside back cover look like on the "original version?

My reason for asking is that on this issue, the inside back cover has a pasted in advertisement for a sauce/condiment (earliest known variant? :insane:) Here is what it looks like:

MM3IBC419x600.jpg

I'd just like to know what is underneath the pasted down promo for PMU sauce.

One can also note the disclaimer that "competitions mentioned in this magazine are not applicable to Australia". This also defines it as not being a British import.

Can you help a brother out?

just starting on the amazing man run, Owl. have a half dozen or so; i'll shoot a little group shot this weekend.
:applause: but if you land a 25 and 26 before me....oh buddy, there will be a storm arising! :baiting:

just starting on the amazing man run, Owl. have a half dozen or so; i'll shoot a little group shot this weekend.
:applause: but if you land a 25 and 26 before me....oh buddy, there will be a storm arising! :baiting:

are they supposed to be hard? those were the 3rd and 4th I found.

:signfunny:

you don't believe me? really, the 25 was up on the wall at this little hole-in-the-wall shop in shangra-la i've had some luck with. stumbled on the 26 at a kiosk at the mall in oz.

you don't believe me? really, the 25 was up on the wall at this little hole-in-the-wall shop in shangra-la i've had some luck with. stumbled on the 26 at a kiosk at the mall in oz.

zzz

That Oz mall kiosk is where I found my Marvel Mystery Annual. Great place to find scarce stuff! Avoid the flying monkeys though.

That's cool Jon!!! Love it even more now!!! Bone white pages, incredible!!!!

what is interesting is that I have found the funny pages and funny picture story early centaurs I have, all have really nice pages...was the paper quality better initially?...I have some later centaurs, with rough PQ, but the early stuff is almost always nicer

rick

That's cool Jon!!! Love it even more now!!! Bone white pages, incredible!!!!

what is interesting is that I have found the funny pages and funny picture story early centaurs I have, all have really nice pages...was the paper quality better initially?...I have some later centaurs, with rough PQ, but the early stuff is almost always nicer

rick

That must have been the case. As you get into the later issues, it's a miracle to find nice paper. Even sacentaur can relate the case with the Claire S. Moe copies being ultra-high grade, but with aberage paper.

I've had multiple early books (i.e. when Comics Magazine was the pub) with nary a problem with the paper.

One more, a 7

Liberty Scolibertyscouts0001.jpguts

WOW! Never seen that one before!

Cool book Sharon! (thumbs u

Thanks, Ronaldo, I never saw one before either, I'm not usually much of a War book collector:) but this was cool:)

I seem to remember there being a couple of different Centaurs (?) with that cover.

The same book was printed as "Liberty Guards". The name change occurred because the "Boy Scouts" felt it infringed on their name.

51711-libertyguards.jpg.49e84beb5648fa52087c77ef7fe4f444.jpg

Here's a few that I had as I looked through the first volume:

All-American #11 = 8

All-New #2 = 7

America's Best #6 = 7

Big 3 #2 = 7

Blue Beetle #30 = 7

Catman #13 = 9 (previously posted)

Dynamic #14 = 7

Exciting #28 = 8

Heroic #11 = 7

gerbers-1.jpg