• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

Thats too bad about the Western Penn Flash #127. Of the high grade books that I own I would never break open the CGC slab to look at the insides of the book. I have only done that with some lower graded books that I have bought slabbed. Its too easy to damage comics taking them out of their mylars. Whenever I am at a show I always ask the dealer to take expensive books out of the mylar for me. Thats a tremendous hit on the Western Penn Flash #127 but we all make mistakes! Still a great looking book! Erik

:o

Feel bad for the guy. Must have wanted to resub for better page quality or upgrade to 9.6

Just to be clear, I'm the guy who resubbed it when it was a 9.4 because I was going to sell it on Heritage and I didn't like the idea of the book having a torn-off corner sitting in the slab's URC seal. Perhaps a more cynical person would've said a 9.4 label is 9.4 label, and sold it as is, on the basis that the buyer could see the damage that had taken place and decide for themselves what they should pay for this "9.4" book, but that didn't sit well with me. CGC and Steve B were great and compensated me fairly for loss of value when they reslabbed the book as a 9.0 because the damage was caused by the slab, and then the book sold for around $3K as a 9.0 (which was still way more than I paid for it as a 9.4), so I was still a happy camper.

And just to be even more clear, I'm not the guy who sold it as a 9.0 on CL for $600.

Has anyone taken a look at C-Link's August auction. A lot of Flash action again. Are the prices just drawing books out or is it normal for this many high grade books to appear?

Since August we have had:

Rubin's

Marlowe's

Fantastic Frank's

David Toth's and a whole slew of others.

I feel a lot of pressure to buy now because I am not sure if the quality books will be there in a year or two. I missed out on a couple in the last round of auctions and I was a little ticked off.

Has anyone taken a look at C-Link's August auction. A lot of Flash action again. Are the prices just drawing books out or is it normal for this many high grade books to appear?

Since August we have had:

Rubin's

Marlowe's

Fantastic Frank's

David Toth's and a whole slew of others.

I feel a lot of pressure to buy now because I am not sure if the quality books will be there in a year or two. I missed out on a couple in the last round of auctions and I was a little ticked off.

Has anyone taken a look at C-Link's August auction. A lot of Flash action again.

I can't seem to find a link on CL for a preview of their August auction. (shrug)

Has anyone taken a look at C-Link's August auction. A lot of Flash action again.

I can't seem to find a link on CL for a preview of their August auction. (shrug)

Ditto, no preview is up as far as I could see. :whistle:(shrug)

Ditto, no preview is up as far as I could see. :whistle:(shrug)

i went to auctions, highlighted "all auctions" then typed in flash, then you have to scroll past the june auctions and get to the august books. clink website "bringing the 20th century to your living room"

Purchased from board member GreatEscape, but now in my collection...

(worship) It is my grail book.

In 1988, a comic book store in Miami bought a complete run of flash including the Showcase issues all unrestored. I was in college at the time and did not have a lot of cash. He sold the 105 at NM and at the time it would have been a 9.2-9.4. I bought it for 1100.00 and I sold it for 1500.00 and because of my handling was probably a 9.0.

The sad thing is that I passed on the SC 4. Easily an 8.5 and he was selling it for 1500.00. It seemed quite expensive at the time but of course that was before the one at Soethbys sold for 4,000.

Hopefully, I will own this book one day.