• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2022 at 4:00 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Although it has changed a bit. At one level my relatives hear about some of this stuff being worth money but can't imagine my stuff being worth anything. A few years ago my brother-in-law (it is always the brother-in-law isn't it) bought me a copy of Flash140 (VG-) as had seem me cosplaying Heatwave when I took him to a Con. He thought it would be nice to have the comic !!!! (thank you - now I have four copies -which I did not say). Later when he and his wife came into my office (I'm a small one man band suburban public accountant) I showed him some art and he talked about when he was a kid and buying comics, and the Fantastic Four.  So I pulled out a slabbed FF 1#. His wife looked at it and said, "but how can you read it" hmmmm, and my wife chipped in that I often buy a coverless reader. I told sister-in-law I had one, and  I paid $1,400 for it. "You paid $1,400 for an old comic !!!!" Thought I better not tell her what that slab was worth. They really have no idea. Which is why we must put a path for sale in our wills.

Exactly! They have no idea! At least with some sort of deal with MCS or whoever , our families will get decent money--but maybe just as importantly it will be sold to someone who loves the stuff as much as we do.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:32 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

The first Friday of February has finally fallen upon us. Happy Flash Friday fellow fans!

20220203_190842.jpg

Awesome group shot there!!! I would just about kill for that 175 at an 8.5??!! My copy has about 15 little tiny staples holding the front cover to the book. :roflmao:I guess if not for the staples I'd have a coverless book :roflmao:I gotta be grateful with what I got. :cloud9:---So what are your top 5 favorite Flash covers??

On 2/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

I think this group started with this photo that I saw of Geoff Johns and "The Flash" from 1990. Geoff is wearing the cover to issue #174 on his shirt, so I started with that one and worked my way back.

My top 5 would have to be #174 with the Rogues cover, then the cover with Capt. Cold #166, then the GL cover #168, then the Grodd cover #172, and then #170 & #171 are tied only because of the humor on the cover.

IMG_8479.JPG

Nice picks for your top 5's! Any more Flash fans want to chime in on your favorite Flash covers?

On 2/5/2022 at 9:24 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

I think this group started with this photo that I saw of Geoff Johns and "The Flash" from 1990. Geoff is wearing the cover to issue #174 on his shirt, so I started with that one and worked my way back.

My top 5 would have to be #174 with the Rogues cover, then the cover with Capt. Cold #166, then the GL cover #168, then the Grodd cover #172, and then #170 & #171 are tied only because of the humor on the cover.

IMG_8479.JPG

Was that taken at the Chiller Fest in Parsippany a few years back (thumbsu 

On 2/5/2022 at 6:24 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

174 ^^

Any Flash fans in the grading contest? I found the sign up on the last day, but sadly it was closed out. 350 was the limit and they already had hit that at some point prior to the last day of sign ups. So I am out but playing along anyway. Frustrating because about 100 of those that signed up never put in their grades for the first round and are out.:pullhair:  

Edited by flashlites

On 2/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, flashlites said:

Any Flash fans in the grading contest? I found the sign up on the last day, but sadly it was closed out. 350 was the limit and they already had hit that at some point prior to the last day of sign ups. So I am out but playing along anyway. Frustrating because about 100 of those that signed up never put in their grades for the first round and are out.:pullhair:  

Grading contest .. you mean there is a grading contest here ??

On 2/7/2022 at 7:19 PM, flashlites said:

What do you say Flash fans? Should we tally up the top 5 covers and see which one got the most votes? I'll give it just one more day for any last minute top 5's.

Polls are ok. We could also have everyone just agree with me.

123 was Tied with174 in five of our lists!

139 and 155 also tied in 4 of our top 5 lists!

125, 175 and 172 tied made into 3 of our lists!

133, 135 and 140 made it into 2 of our top 5 lists.

131, 153, 126, 132, 137, 130, 136, 114, 156, 145, 127, 166, 168, 170, 170 made honorable mentions!

On 2/8/2022 at 10:15 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I was putting this away and thought - well Cinf and a SA Flash reader .. what the hell, put it up

001.JPG

002.JPG

I need one of these!!! I will have to start looking for one. Are they hard to find? Expensive?

On 2/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Whether a fan of them or not they are probably the two most iconic Flash cover there are. So congrats to anyone with them on their list

I love 174 for its style and of course the Rouges! Iconic, and powerful, unique for its time. I would normally have it in my top 5. I choose 155 in its place this time as my favorite Rouges cover as it is such a great example of Carmine's action and fluidity, motion on display. Why couldn't I have 2 Rouges covers in my top five? Good question! Like I said my top five change from year to year. :cloud9:

On 2/9/2022 at 4:56 AM, flashlites said:

I love 174 for its style and of course the Rouges! Iconic, and powerful, unique for its time. I would normally have it in my top 5. I choose 155 in its place this time as my favorite Rouges cover as it is such a great example of Carmine's action and fluidity, motion on display. Why couldn't I have 2 Rouges covers in my top five? Good question! Like I said my top five change from year to year. :cloud9:

Before Carmine, there was the great Will Eisner who would incorporate typography into the cover. I think 174, in that style, in color, is a classic.