• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 2:04 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I just noticed there is an Ebay seller with a couple of the Australian "Hundred" comics. This auction has one with Flash on the cover. It is in poor condition with the back cover missing though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185306432058?hash=item2b251fc23a:g:HQIAAOSwZ5liE0kc

That is the third copy in last 5 years and they all grade 2.0 or less. With these square bound Australian books it is every rare to get anything  over 5.0. Think last one was maybe 2 1/2 years ago and went for maybe  A$70-80. Before that it was around 2016 and it went for A$19.99 also minus back cover but front in better shape. There is also a SC8 with a genuine Cinf cover for the other story here. Sold three times and I think most was around A$90 but book in a much better shape.

As a comparison the SC22 here has surfaced three times in last 5 years and gone for between $160 to $600+. All better than this one. SC22 is quite rare compared to other foreign reprints editions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224795612170?hash=item3456dcd40a:g:6T8AAOSwM5Fh4w3A

I have my doubts it will sell. About 5-3 years ago books were always turning up and usually at auction or at $20 - $40 BIN. Sometimes they were hot other times not. Since then they have kind of dried up.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:14 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have my doubts it will sell. About 5-3 years ago books were always turning up and usually at auction or at $20 - $40 BIN. Sometimes they were hot other times not. Since then they have kind of dried up.

and they did not. Now BIN. The condition is killing them.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:07 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Flashlites raised the point of other media items that referenced the Flash silver age. This was a Heritage cover a little while ago. Quite like it as it is roughly 20% larger in image than the actual book. Marvel dominates these covers as they have a much higher turnover in dollars, so nice to see Barry get some respect.

001.JPG

Love it!!! I bet they had one of those rare 105's at 9.0-9.4 for sale that year.

A quick who am I.

Had a strong interest in science growing up.

Sought excellence in an uncommon career

An Intellectual

Instead archived excellence in something different

Modest humble,

Highly regarded by his peers

Was faithful husband with loving wife

(and his name is not Barry Allen but it could be)

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 3/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A quick who am I.

An Intellectual

Modest humble,

My first guess would be Ralph Dibney?

On 3/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A quick who am I.

An Intellectual

Modest humble,

Ray Palmer aka the Atom.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A quick who am I.

Sought excellence in an uncommon career  - Wanted to be a science fiction writer and that is where his first career was and how he met Julie.

An Intellectual

Instead archived excellence in something different - Created most of the important parts of Flashes world (except Jay Garrick and Iris) and the Green Lantern Universe. These are the only two DC silver age characters who have managed to maintain sales runs almost unbroken since 1960 (GL had a modest break in the 70s) and stand only behind Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in importance as IP to DC.

Modest humble, - see his only SDCC appearance,

Highly regarded by his peers - had almost as many pros as fans in his only ever Con appearance.

Was faithful husband with loving wife - happily married until his eventual passing.

and that is John Broome. - or possibly the perfect description of Barry Allen

Art is from Detective 343. Will try for proper image later.

005.JPG

I have been looking into Fanzines and books in the Silver Age for a while. I think I may have started with the question of "was Stan Lee really responsible for all the Marvel characters. (of course if "True believers - the Rise and Fall of Stan Lee " had been published years ago I may have finished that quest and moved on). As it was I became intrigued first by Infantino, and although I never met him I have been lucky enough to come across some artists who can pass on their opinions (- Hint don't ask Adams). From there to Julie and then an exploration of Fox & Broome. Not sure if it was because of Flash of Two World'sand his Earth 2 stories but I had always associated Fox more with Flash. Only really in last decade did I understand how important Broome was. The Alter Ego pictured covers his appearance at SDCC. Not the transcript of the panel, but rather the personal side of the trip. The artist alley time, the dinners with Julie and his wife and the interaction with modern pros. When I finished it I realised where Barry Allen came from.

Several years ago I remember someone commenting that the model for Peter Parker's personality was the guy who wrote ASM 18 -38, Steve Ditko.

I have a feeling Jack Kirby's personality may have touched the "Thing" at some stage.

003.JPG

004.JPG

On 3/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

and that is John Broome. - or possibly the perfect description of Barry Allen

Art is from Detective 343. Will try for proper image later.

005.JPG

Love it! Thanks for sharing Terry!

On 3/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have been looking into Fanzines and books in the Silver Age for a while. I think I may have started with the question of "was Stan Lee really responsible for all the Marvel characters. (of course if "True believers - the Rise and Fall of Stan Lee " had been published years ago I may have finished that quest and moved on). As it was I became intrigued first by Infantino, and although I never met him I have been lucky enough to come across some artists who can pass on their opinions (- Hint don't ask Adams). From there to Julie and then an exploration of Fox & Broome. Not sure if it was because of Flash of Two World'sand his Earth 2 stories but I had always associated Fox more with Flash. Only really in last decade did I understand how important Broome was. The Alter Ego pictured covers his appearance at SDCC. Not the transcript of the panel, but rather the personal side of the trip. The artist alley time, the dinners with Julie and his wife and the interaction with modern pros. When I finished it I realised where Barry Allen came from.

Several years ago I remember someone commenting that the model for Peter Parker's personality was the guy who wrote ASM 18 -38, Steve Ditko.

I have a feeling Jack Kirby's personality may have touched the "Thing" at some stage.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Now I gotta track down a copy of AE 142!!!