• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

I'm selling my other copy of issue 174 on feebay but for anyone in this group I'll do $105 and include free shipping to the CONUS. Message me if you're interested.

CGC 7.0 OW pages and it presents very well in the newer case.

Screenshot_20220209-231124_eBay.jpg

Edited by MultiSig Mike

On 2/9/2022 at 11:15 PM, flashlites said:

I need one of these!!! I will have to start looking for one. Are they hard to find? Expensive?

Not really, fanzines are not as coveted as "Keys", maybe check Mycomic shop or just ebay and play the waiting game. It is actually better than Carmine's issue, he did not appear to enjoy talking about his career, whereas Julie was always an extrovert. The stuff on Julie is only bettered by his book "man of Two World", which of course has way more Sci-fi but maybe less comic

On 2/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, Jaylam said:

How about that time Flash met Julius Schwartz in Flash #179....it's an underrated classic.

916769207_flash179page15.thumb.JPG.2a6a74ff92bbf0ff841a2001c27c9786.JPG

1415141390_flash179page16.thumb.JPG.f3173c63984f0cc9979c0dc25c65754a.JPG

I wonder if the DC archives still has those "bound volumes" of the Flash? Can you imagine how much those would go for if they ever went up for auction!?

On 2/11/2022 at 11:20 PM, innocuous said:

I have the Amazing World of Carmine Infantino, where he is credited as co-author. Not sure of any others.

I got Carmine to sign my copy if i ever find it after we moved :ohnoez:

Speaking of bound volumes...Maybe its about time for us Flash fans to put together a bibliography of Flash related reading material. We've been mentioning it here and there recently. And since my collection is essentially complete I am finding my self more and more turning to books about the creators of my favorite character and related material. I am putting together a library of sorts. We should compare reading lists.

I'll start off with this great book. There seems to be more stuff in here about John Broome than in any other source I've found so far. It is an in-depth look at all things Flash and how the character was created and those that created him from 1940 to 2008. A must have for any Flash collector IMHO.

image.png.131991ed3b2e16fff23a0da5189863a8.png

On 2/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, flashlites said:

I will also have to get Julie's book for my Flash library. Did Carmine ever write a book?

No, but a good friend of his wrote it for him. I don't think I have ever read anything, in any interview or feature article not in the book. Will dig out the name tomorrow.

On 2/13/2022 at 5:58 AM, flashlites said:

Speaking of bound volumes...Maybe its about time for us Flash fans to put together a bibliography of Flash related reading material. We've been mentioning it here and there recently. And since my collection is essentially complete I am finding my self more and more turning to books about the creators of my favorite character and related material. I am putting together a library of sorts. We should compare reading lists.

Great idea, and yes the Flash companion is really great. Some really great original art as well.

Totally new to the boards, longtime reader.  I too am a long-time Flash fan, having sadly sold my collection 15 years ago pre-marriage and then got back into things once the pandemic and some personal challenges (divorce, health) hit my life.  Discovered this thread a few days back and getting a real kick out of it.  Long story short, my favorite 5 covers from the classic era are 113, 123, 139, 174, and 323 (have all those issues).  Just acquired a CGC-graded copy of 139, very exciting!

On 2/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, PDS74 said:

Totally new to the boards, longtime reader.  I too am a long-time Flash fan, having sadly sold my collection 15 years ago pre-marriage and then got back into things once the pandemic and some personal challenges (divorce, health) hit my life.  Discovered this thread a few days back and getting a real kick out of it.  Long story short, my favorite 5 covers from the classic era are 113, 123, 139, 174, and 323 (have all those issues).  Just acquired a CGC-graded copy of 139, very exciting!

Welcome to the Boards! And most of all welcome to the Flash thread! It's always great to get another true Flash fan. You will find, as I did 4 years ago that within this thread the greatest Flash fans in the world are here, sharing their knowledge, experience and love of this great character. Welcome home! And thanks for your top 5! Congratulations on your 139! That's definitely worth the legendary triple dancing bananas! Share a photo when you get a chance. We'd love to see it.

:banana::banana::banana:

Edited by flashlites

I have always been under the belief that DC covers had much better coloring than Marvel's in the Silver Age. Marvel pretty much stuck to the primary colors, but it seems like the DC colorists really experimented to make their covers pop. Don't get me wrong, there are some good Marvel examples like the black cover of ASM #28 and cool pink shading on TOS #49, but those are rare for Marvel's in those years. 

On 2/17/2022 at 12:41 PM, silverseeker said:

Last up is Flash #151...the final book in the mini-run (#105-151) I'm trying to put together.

The black outline on the Shade and the Flash really pops against the gray background...

Flash151.thumb.jpg.93b7ca686527327d6264d00087e1c4ed.jpg

Great group of 5 there! Any cover with Golden Age Flash on it was a great cover IMHO! Nice selections all around! And thanks for chiming in!