• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2022 at 3:26 PM, PDS74 said:

Totally new to the boards, longtime reader.  I too am a long-time Flash fan, having sadly sold my collection 15 years ago pre-marriage and then got back into things once the pandemic and some personal challenges (divorce, health) hit my life.  Discovered this thread a few days back and getting a real kick out of it.  Long story short, my favorite 5 covers from the classic era are 113, 123, 139, 174, and 323 (have all those issues).  Just acquired a CGC-graded copy of 139, very exciting!

Welcome, this  has to be one of the least combative forums groups I have ever been in. Just a nice group of DC fans. Yep that story sounds familiar to many of us. With the movie coming it looks like a great time to be a Flash fan

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 2/17/2022 at 4:33 PM, Jaylam said:

I have always been under the belief that DC covers had much better coloring than Marvel's in the Silver Age. Marvel pretty much stuck to the primary colors, but it seems like the DC colorists really experimented to make their covers pop. Don't get me wrong, there are some good Marvel examples like the black cover of ASM #28 and cool pink shading on TOS #49, but those are rare for Marvel's in those years. 

Agreed. Lots of early Silver Age Marvels had very bland grey backgrounds. As much as I love my Marvels, the covers can look drab when compared side-by-side with the slick, bright DC covers of the time.

On 2/16/2022 at 8:26 PM, PDS74 said:

Totally new to the boards, longtime reader.  I too am a long-time Flash fan, having sadly sold my collection 15 years ago pre-marriage and then got back into things once the pandemic and some personal challenges (divorce, health) hit my life.  Discovered this thread a few days back and getting a real kick out of it.  Long story short, my favorite 5 covers from the classic era are 113, 123, 139, 174, and 323 (have all those issues).  Just acquired a CGC-graded copy of 139, very exciting!

Welcome to the boards. Time to post some pictures.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, silverseeker said:

Next up is Flash #139...such a simple concept to create a villain with the same costume as the Flash, just with the colors reversed.

Always loved Professor Zoom, even before he showed up in the Flash TV show...

Flash139.thumb.jpg.46fdedc5862ce33946d1ab4d135a3cbc.jpg

Sharp looking copy.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, Dave2739 said:

Agreed. Lots of early Silver Age Marvels had very bland grey backgrounds. As much as I love my Marvels, the covers can look drab when compared side-by-side with the slick, bright DC covers of the time.

Flash had a little run of a lot of gray background covers in the mid 60's. #151, then #161, 164, 165, 168 and 171. Before that there was only #136 and after #171 you have to go clear to #204 to find any gray in the background on a cover and its pretty minimal. 

On 2/17/2022 at 9:10 PM, innocuous said:

Sharp looking copy.

Thanks! The #137 and #139 are probably the nicest copies of the five books I posted, although the #140 comes close...

I bought most of these books 10-20 years ago, and wonder if higher-grade copies just happened to be more available back then...it's been a lot harder to find nice copies of the books still on my want list these days.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, Jaylam said:

We've been doing our favorite Flash covers from the Flash comic book proper for a while now, but how about we also show our favorite Flash covers from non-Flash titles? For example, this Brave and the Bold #67 is one of my favorites.

brave-and-the-bold-67-small-2.jpg.8da75570e8827fcdf80126c81e4b0065.jpg 

Damm that's a nice copy

On 2/19/2022 at 4:19 AM, silverseeker said:

Thanks! The #137 and #139 are probably the nicest copies of the five books I posted, although the #140 comes close...

I bought most of these books 10-20 years ago, and wonder if higher-grade copies just happened to be more available back then...it's been a lot harder to find nice copies of the books still on my want list these days.

Back in around 1990 I had basically stopped collecting. Been stung by dealers too often, and the ones I did not have had gone out of reach. Instead I started to up grade some issues I has in Marvels TOS, Doom Patrol some GL from 30-50 and Flash issue with Rogues. I can tell you over the next 5-8 years I never saw a 140 as nice as yours.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 2/18/2022 at 5:04 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Back in around 1990 I had basically stopped collecting. Been stung by dealers too often, and the ones I did not have had gone out of reach. Instead I started to up grade some issues I has in Marvels TOS, Doom Patrol some GL from 30-50 and Flash issue with Rogues. I can tell you over the next 5-8 years I never saw a 140 as nice as yours.

Interestingly enough, Flash #140 was one of my more recent purchases, and I picked it up from Bob Storms at SDCC in 2019...man, I miss going to shows!

I totally agree with you on your assessment of this particular book, as it took me a very long time to find this nice of a copy.

Edited by silverseeker
Added to my post.

I have finally dug out some non Flash titles with Flash on the cover as well as some Flash book, books from the budding Flash library I'm trying to put together. Will share with you all soon. In the meantime lets see if we can keep this going. Lets see some more crossover covers! Some if these I have never seen before!