• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2023 at 5:01 AM, Jaylam said:

Proud to announce the latest addition to my Flash collection.... love the purple cover and its overall visual aesthetic.

706253917_flash128_edited.jpg.dd620177ccb1f542f9949ed1f5ab316c.jpg

That is so hard to get in that grade. Can I ask how much, as these seldom make it to GPA (we don't normally talk money - but the AF15 thread is nothing but price comparison)

On 3/25/2023 at 1:21 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

That is so hard to get in that grade. Can I ask how much, as these seldom make it to GPA (we don't normally talk money - but the AF15 thread is nothing but price comparison)

This was an ebay purchase and it's actually showing up on GPA and GoCollect now. The last recorded sale of an 8.5 was back in 2018 and this book is showing as sold on Heritage in May of 2011 (It was graded in 2008). It looks very nice and I'm considering having it re-graded as pretty much all the wear is around the edges and corners. It was probably already pressed as I don't see see any kind of bends, dents, etc. It's a toss up on whether to pull the trigger on it or not. 

On 4/24/2023 at 4:22 AM, Math Teacher said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you stopping your run at #151?

When I got back into collecting in 2000, I chose arbitrary stop points for all of the runs I wanted to assemble to keep the cost of trying to complete my collection reasonable...in the example of my Flash run, I was originally going to stop at issue #160, but decided to pare back to #151 because I love the cover (otherwise I would have stopped at #150).

On 4/24/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jaylam said:

Flash 151, one of my favorites of the title. The 'shade" effect at the beginning of the story was just so simple and eerie, yet a cool and effective plot device.

flash151.jpg.d9dd82850aa8a77b922ce711d6092327.jpg

FLASH1511_edited.jpg.d0b106e67e502d27598e0d958286f4f2.jpg

FLASH1512_edited.jpg.2b7f9bbc77ae0cac922850a7d20a234d.jpg

Such a great story! Thanks for sharing those panels-I didn't have to go digging through my box :) even though I love doing that, it's part of the fun of the hobby, am I right? Everything is in order for my Flash collection but its even more fun if I'm looking for something else :roflmao:

On 4/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I had not bought a Flash comic for a while, but found issue #156 at the LCS this weekend.

Scan1168.JPG

On 4/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I had not bought a Flash comic for a while, but found issue #156 at the LCS this weekend.

Scan1168.JPG

That is one of my three favourite Flash comics. The Barry / Iris thing became a big part of the attraction for me (Born 1954)  and the reactions of Iris in this issue are a very strong part of what is canon for her. Also how when things are really going pair shape Barry is calm with her and very understanding. Great role model for a kid growing up

Just picked up a book that was on my want list for over 30 yrs. Flash 140, it is a 7.5 but fits my needs. I tried with dealers for a long time in late 80s + 90s and got all the other Rogues books upgraded well, but this one eluded me, and after the internet, well I kept putting it off. At this time I had acquired by various means 4 copes all graded 4.0 -5.0 and for a total cost of $17. As I laid in bed that night I thought, all done now and went over all "my key" books, all in grades I am happy with .. and then thought about my 112 bought nearly 40 years ago, a 3.5, and thought nahh, mid grade copies are not worth it, be happy with what you have got ...and then thought how I loved Sue Dibny as a kid .. Oh well.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:20 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Just picked up a book that was on my want list for over 30 yrs. Flash 140, it is a 7.5 but fits my needs. I tried with dealers for a long time in late 80s + 90s and got all the other Rogues books upgraded well, but this one eluded me, and after the internet, well I kept putting it off. At this time I had acquired by various means 4 copes all graded 4.0 -5.0 and for a total cost of $17. As I laid in bed that night I thought, all done now and went over all "my key" books, all in grades I am happy with .. and then thought about my 112 bought nearly 40 years ago, a 3.5, and thought nahh, mid grade copies are not worth it, be happy with what you have got ...and then thought how I loved Sue Dibny as a kid .. Oh well.

So you got a 140 and a 112??? That's great! You must share some photos when you get them!

I know none of us Flash collectors closely follow the comic market (otherwise we would be Marvel collectors instead -) but I know that the hottest Flash book during that boom was SC4, which in mid grade has come off maybe 25% of its absolute dizzy peak. Other major Flash keys did not go up much and the ones that did have partially come back down. 110 being the most noticeable. I wondered if the Flash movie would give anything a boost. I thought it would be the more affordable 105, but it appears that the book bouncing from the movie is 123. Been a steady climber over the years but an 8.5 has just hit under $10K ($9,899). Anything over 7.0 in this book is rare, so 8.5 comes along very infrequently. Other copies apparently are still slowly but surely chugging up the hill and I am guessing a nice 4.0 will hit over $1K soon, maybe by the movie release time. To all Flash fans who have a copy, maybe give it a little hug.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 5/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I know none of us Flash collectors closely follow the comic market (otherwise we would be Marvel collectors instead -) but I know that the hottest Flash book during that boom was SC4, which in mid grade has come off maybe 25% of its absolute dizzy peak. Other major Flash keys did not go up much and the ones that did have partially come back down. 110 being the most noticeable. I wondered if the Flash movie would give anything a boost. I thought it would be the more affordable 105, but it appears that the book bouncing from the movie is 123. Been a steady climber over the years but an 8.5 has just hit under $10K ($9,899). Anything over 7.0 in this book is rare, so 8.5 comes along very infrequently. Other copies apparently are still slowly but surely chugging up the hill and I am guessing a nice 4.0 will hit over $1K soon, maybe by the movie release time. To all Flash fans who have a copy, maybe give it a little hug.

Well, if you or anyone have any under-copies you are willing to donate to a huggable home (like mine), I'd be happy to help out! 

There was such a long run up and so many delays for this movie. At one point I believed it would never be released. I've never seen anything like it. This my be the reason there was no big rush or run on Flash books yet? What do you think? Normally the hint of a movie will send prices up and up. But with this botched release (2-3 year delay)?

Edited by flashlites

On 5/19/2023 at 11:32 AM, flashlites said:

There was such a long run up and so many delays for this movie. At one point I believed it would never be released. I've never seen anything like it. This my be the reason there was no big rush or run on Flash books yet? What do you think? Normally the hint of a movie will send prices up and up. But with this botched release (2-3 year delay)?

Actually you are absolutely right. SC4 had slipped behind Marvel keys around a decade ago, still the highest DC, but it had slipped until a strong rumour of the Flash movie became more than a rumour when a director and -script writer got attached to the project. That however was LONG ago, and the book started to jump with many Marvel centred fans getting on board. A review of the now old SC4 thread here shows it. The book climbed massively over several years, even though directors changed but when Famuyiwa  left due to "creative differences" in  2016 the book had peaked and then slowly slid back. A 4.5 went from @$26K to $17K. It sat like that for a around a year or two then bounced when the Covid super Key surge hit us and has now levelled back at around @$25K.

For the movie I started to get very worried when I heard that Famuyiwa (think second director) was screen testing for not only Captain Cold but "Harrison Wells". At that point I was "Oh great he has never read a book and is turning series 1# of the TV show, into a movie". Luckily he was fired. The synopsis of his -script is online somewhere. Would have been modest budget, and would have had a box office probably less than "Birds of Prey".

But unlike so many of their DC properties, someone there did not want to do Flash half/a@#ed, and when DC asked Muschietti if he wanted to do a super hero movie which one did he want, he said Flash. Christina Hodson who wrote Bumblebee, and the less successful "Birds of Prey" (was not her fault to do  the casting and character design (Brunette Black Canary, Harley in Pink and Yellow - ))

Apart from Flash 123 the other books that have strengthened are the other three Showcases, 8,13,14 which have been solid under $2K and now in High grade. The 13 + 14 could have a 6.0 around $1k or below a little while ago and the 8 could,have a 3. for maybe less than $1k a few years ago. 105 however also boomed back on the early movie buzz and is actually quite common, and has not done too much.

Will be interesting if after the movie hits a few more high grade books change hands.

Damm I spend way too much time on this stuff ..