• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, Jayman said:

Reprints of stories. And I may be wrong but I seem to remember in the ad copy that the hard copies were supposedly signed by Gonzalaz.

You are correct.  The hardcovers are personally signed by Jose Gonzalez and numbered.  What I find interesting is that they printed 500 of these, yet only a few (like less than 5) have ever shown up thus far that I know about.  I wonder what happened to all the other copies? 

20211205_223011.jpg

Edited by Escaflown41

On 12/5/2021 at 9:52 PM, Artifiction said:

Oh, that's cool. Thanks for the answer.

I'm not sure if you know about this site, but I have used it quite often to reference and put together a checklist for my Vampi collection.  It's pretty quite detailed and kudos for the person who put this site together.  (thumbsu

http://www.vampilore.co.uk/

On 12/5/2021 at 11:02 PM, Escaflown41 said:

I'm not sure if you know about this site, but I have used it quite often to reference and put together a checklist for my Vampi collection.  It's pretty quite detailed and kudos for the person who put this site together.  (thumbsu

http://www.vampilore.co.uk/

I did not. Thank you for the link. (thumbsu

On 12/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, Escaflown41 said:

You are correct.  The hardcovers are personally signed by Jose Gonzalez and numbered.  What I find interesting is that they printed 500 of these, yet only a few (like less than 5) have ever shown up thus far that I know about.  I wonder what happened to all the other copies? 

I've seen probably a couple dozen copies sell over the years in a full spectrum of condition from poor to near perfect.  Many are just locked in collections.

I own the Spanish copy that @Jayman was referring to.  And that's the only one in Spanish I've ever seen.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've seen probably a couple dozen copies sell over the years in a full spectrum of condition from poor to near perfect.  Many are just locked in collections.

I own the Spanish copy that @Jayman was referring to.  And that's the only one in Spanish I've ever seen.

That's awesome!  So now the burning question is the Spanish edition part of the 500 print run?  Does your copy have a number on the signature page?  Can you post some pics up when you get the chance?

On 12/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, Escaflown41 said:

That's awesome!  So now the burning question is the Spanish edition part of the 500 print run?  Does your copy have a number on the signature page?  Can you post some pics up when you get the chance?

It's neither signed or numbered.  If I have a moment, I'll pull it and post some pictures.  It's pretty much exactly the same, except it's in Spanish.  

FTR, I'm sure there are many Spanish copies out there (in Spain and Europe).  Just not in the US.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:39 AM, Joshua33 said:

Is not the hard copy in English, the difficult one.  Correct and school me if I'm wrong?

The Vampirella Special HC is the most difficult Warren Vampirella.  My copy in Spanish is more of a curiosity as most don't include foreign magazines in their consideration.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Randall Dowling said:

On the link to that Vampirella site listed above it mentions that the hard copy originally came with a dust jacket. I’ve never seen one with, has anyone? I’m assuming it’s the same as the cover but don’t know.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, Jayman said:

On the link to that Vampirella site listed above it mentions that the hard copy originally came with a dust jacket. I’ve never seen one with, has anyone? I’m assuming it’s the same as the cover but don’t know.

If anyone would have it, it's @Stevemmg since he still has the original shipping mailer with his.  I've never seen a dust jacket on a copy before.

I have a signed HC with a dust jacket.  When I got it, I thought the seller had it made for his own use but now I guess it could be that it was original.  I did not know about it being issued with a dust jacket.  I also have a regular Spanish HC copy and a misprinted Spanish HC copy.  Neither Spanish copies have a dust jacket.

The misprint has the same cover as the US version.  It says "A Warren Publication" under the printed "Jose Gonzales" signature on the cover when it should not.  Only the US HC  will have it.

I got the 3 as a set from a collector in Australia (?) a few years back off of ebay.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, chevalmeow said:

I have a signed HC with a dust jacket.  When I got it, I thought the seller had it made for his own use but now I guess it could be that it was original.  I did not know about it being issued with a dust jacket.  I also have a regular Spanish HC copy and a misprinted Spanish HC copy.  Neither Spanish copies have a dust jacket.

The misprint has the same cover as the US version.  It says "A Warren Publication" under the printed "Jose Gonzales" signature on the cover when it should not.  Only the US HC  will have it.

I got the 3 as a set from a collector in Australia (?) a few years back off of ebay.

Can u post a pic of the dust jacket? :wishluck:

On 12/7/2021 at 11:48 AM, chevalmeow said:

I found a notation on the seller's sale listing that the HC had a dust jacket that was "done professionally", so maybe it was not part of the original shipping.  I failed to save the seller information so I can't contact for further questions.  doh!

According to David Horne, author of "A Gathering Horror", the regular Spanish HC had a printing of 1000 copies.  The misprinted copies are more scarce.

The dust jacket is heavy stock paper and very nicely done.  The second scan is the regular Spanish HC and the last scan is the Spanish HC with the misprint on cover.

162492174_VampirellaSpecialHCDJside.thumb.jpg.78310cccd60e78ac0ae2396acfa9f827.jpg1896628553_VampirellaSpecialSpanish.thumb.jpg.133d9e665ad355cd21e3bdad46aa89f3.jpg166697503_VampirellaSpecialSpanisherror.thumb.jpg.d763c19fad8e82974d12fd717f3561f0.jpg

Wow!  Thanks for sharing this.  Very helpful to see the dust jacket.  Here's my Spanish copy.

IMG_6610.thumb.JPG.0bd6d60fd2356245771fa35452dae0ba.JPG

IMG_6611.thumb.JPG.45dafa9a8e6a4dfd7ad38b2b2f53cc4b.JPG

IMG_6612.thumb.JPG.6ff010ab9d417e72d310ecce0ad880b9.JPG

On 12/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'll add for those that don't have one of the Vampirella Specials (HC or SC), the bindings on these are notoriously poorly made and prone to breaking, glue failure, and other problems making them pretty touchy just opening and looking at.  2c

I’m pretty sure this is the main cause for scarcity. Maybe recalled and/or destroyed?

On 12/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Escaflown41 said:

Just got back from a small local show today and was shocked that one of the vendors had this book which I had been looking for quite some time.  I think this is the rarest and most hard to find Warren Vampirella book since I rarely ever see this get posted for sale anywhere else.  Even though it's a mid grade copy and quite pricey, I had to pull the trigger on it since I don't know when I would ever get the chance to find another copy.  I'm finally glad to add this Vampirella Special Hardcover Edition to my Vampi collection.  :cloud9:

If anyone else have a copy, please post yours as I like to see them as well.  :bigsmile:

20211205_182419.jpg

20211205_182530.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, Escaflown41 said:

I also never knew the hardcover existed until someone on these boards found one on eBay years ago which also had the original mailer.  Since then, I was on a mission to find one.

Damn this sucks. I saw one of you guys post a picture of the softcover a while back. I read about the hardcover probably here or on MyComicShop and put it on my list thinking it would be an easy pickup later on. 500 is usually a good number of copies for a hardcover comic related book. I've seen lower runs that are easy to get.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I'll add for those that don't have one of the Vampirella Specials (HC or SC), the bindings on these are notoriously poorly made and prone to breaking, glue failure, and other problems making them pretty touchy just opening and looking at.  2c

Well you can find a book restorer to fix the binding. I had a few fixed in the past.

On 12/7/2021 at 10:34 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Exactly like the mail in Dracula book 1. The binding is horrible. 

Also, a question for the Warren experts:  I'm trying to figure out exactly what Warren issues Vampirella appeared in outside of her main title.  This is what I've got:

Creepy 50 (Cover only?)

Comix International 4, 5 (Reprinting stories from Vampirella 46 and 55, respectively.)

Eerie 94, 95, 130

Vampirella Annual 1972

Vampirella Special (SC and HC versions exist)

Anybody know of anything I'm missing from the list?  (I'm currently running 50/50 on the actual books.)