• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Got a new book today that I've been searching for, for a long while :banana:

Hangman #7

I'm not sure if this is as scarce as it seems, but it took a very long time to find one, and there are only 4, that includes unrestored and restored, 4 total on the CGC census.

IMG_2585.jpg

Now I don't collect Hangman or MLJ comics, so why did I really want one of these you may ask.

This is why:

IMG_2581.jpg

Now it can be argued that Hangman was certainly a poor knock off of Batman. And this cover swipe certainly is interesting, right down to the bats in the background identical to the 31. Pretty neat.

(Btw isn't there a cover swipe knock off thread of covers some where? )

Very, very cool!

I added these three Speeds this week. Very nice PQ on them.

speedcomics36front.jpg

speedcomics37front.jpg

speedcomics38front.jpg

I have a couple Speed Comics, and plan to go after them more aggressively one day, due to Black Cat. But I've got to finish Dick Tracy first and the Black Cat run. Plus, the Speeds can be quite expensive

:(

Got a new book today that I've been searching for, for a long while :banana:

Hangman #7

I'm not sure if this is as scarce as it seems, but it took a very long time to find one, and there are only 4, that includes unrestored and restored, 4 total on the CGC census.

IMG_2585.jpg

Now I don't collect Hangman or MLJ comics, so why did I really want one of these you may ask.

This is why:

IMG_2581.jpg

Now it can be argued that Hangman was certainly a poor knock off of Batman. And this cover swipe certainly is interesting, right down to the bats in the background identical to the 31. Pretty neat.

(Btw isn't there a cover swipe knock off thread of covers some where? )

Very, very cool!

Sold my copy to Terry's Comics. Had it since 1965 but there were a few panel missing I think.

Some of my favorite Ec's

One of the Boardies used/does own the original art to this cover. It's a fantastic piece by Wood.

I just saw that piece listed on Mike Burkey's art site...already on hold....

That is awesome! 200k

Lower grade, but I always love when I get GA for my niche. Two of these I wasn't aware of until I saw them up for sale. (WorldWide comics came through with the Cosmo Cat and the other two were from eBay.)

Cosmo-Cat-7.jpg

Zip-23.jpg

National-Comics-69.jpg

Lower grade, but I always love when I get GA for my niche. Two of these I wasn't aware of until I saw them up for sale. (WorldWide comics came through with the Cosmo Cat and the other two were from eBay.)

Cosmo-Cat-7.jpg

Zip-23.jpg

National-Comics-69.jpg

Fun books, PK :applause:

The omnipresent figure in the background has been used forever, before the invention of comic books. Call it a motif. The two covers below are even closer in design ideas...but I wouldn't call them swipes.

IMG_2585.jpg

SA.jpg

Great cover and book! I want one!

I fully agree with the "motif." And I know Tec 31 was not the first of all. And I know it is "arguable" but I feel the Hangman #7 surely took some nods from Tec 31. The moon might make you wonder. But the Bats in the background on the 7 seal the wonderment to me.

lol OK, I see what you mean. The placement of the moon, the bat. There's actually some weak pretense of fog vapors in the interior of Hangman's cape. And the elongated corners of the cowl. The artist might have been inspired by Tec 31... hm

lol OK, I see what you mean. The placement of the moon, the bat. There's actually some weak pretense of fog vapors in the interior of Hangman's cape. And the elongated corners of the cowl. The artist might have been inspired by Tec 31... hm

Yeah! :grin:

We'll never be able to "prove it" but all signs point to yes!

I love the figure in background covers. Any other good ones off the top of your head?

Nice haul! This is really strange..in a good way!

strangefantasy13.jpg