• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

Is an elephant hard to kill? Does not seem like they would pose much of a challenge?

Elephants are arguably the most dangerous of the "Big 5". From what I've read, you would be very surprised how fast and smart they are; and how well something that big can hide.

Very lovely home. Thanks for sharing knowing that some people would be offended. When you have the time, what is the piece your most proud of, hunting wise?

Thank-you (thumbs u

By no means was it my intention to offend anyone with the pics. Quite the opposite really, I actually shuttered when I clicked submit the first time with my first six pics. But I had enough responses pm wise and I truly felt Boardies are respectful all in all and I myself knew I could not be too offended by any plauisble replies. (Something I need to keep working on when a political thread rears its ugly head)

The outdoors and its hunting and fishing in it and of it - is so steeped in my heritage, that I'm so accustomed to it. It is in my blood and farthest reaching memories that it is just a way of life and a passion that calling it a hobby conjures up negative thoughts imho.

Therefore...I know it can always be so brutally easy for me to bias on the matter.....but I truly try to put the shoe on the other foot for those who are not, well like me when it comes to hunting and fishing and being an outdoorsmen. And I can wholeheartedly understand the other side of the fence's thoughts and feelings. Its not for everyone.

Anyways, to answer your question, which is a TOUGHY. Thats like asking the Top 5 guys in the Registry their most proud to own funny book!!

It would probably be the first gobbler (male mature turkey) that I called in by myself. Off the roost (out of his tree) a little after daybreak he flew down and came in to my calls from about 150 yards. He was gobbling, spitting and drumming (the sound a gobbler makes when he puffs his feathers out) and strutting the whole way into me. It was text book. I'll never forget that morning.

Granted catching my first 5lb bass or my first 20+ inch rainbow and 22+ inch brown trout on a dry (using a dry fly, a fly that floats on top of the water, on a fly-rod) are right up there. Along with a certain couple whitetails with a bow and one particular cape buffalo and one of my sitatungas were all memorable in a certain special way that I'll never forget.

Is an elephant hard to kill? Does not seem like they would pose much of a challenge?

Elephants are arguably the most dangerous of the "Big 5". From what I've read, you would be very surprised how fast and smart they are; and how well something that big can hide.

Elephants are definitely up there, cause they are programmed more than most animals over there to charge, even when not provoked. (protecting their young) As in causing human deaths they are top four last I knew. Hippos #1 and than its elephants, snakes and crocs fall in after.

The problem with recording causes of deaths over there is like that of Australia. In the "bush," or remote areas....there are not delegated officials if you wil,l to record every time a bushman, aborigine, villager, poacher what have you gets killed by an animal or reptile. From what I have seen, heard first hand or just know from being over there quite a bit is: a woman washing her clothes in a pond, a boy picking up gill nets in river or a man coming back from gathering bird eggs can get stomped, drowned, chomped, gored or bit by a hippo, croc or snake like all of us can get in a fender bender. It is common place, a way of life and goes unrecorded most of the time.

(Many people don't believe or don't understand that hippos kill the most people over there and are hands down the most dangerous animal over there. They are territorial, the mothers are uber protective of anything near their calves and the males are full of testosterone. Hippos are skilled and silent in water if need be and FAST as mess on land!! Just in recent years (finally) the Discovery, Nat Geo and Animal Planet are finally stating and depicting the real truths of Africa by depicting hippos, snakes crocs, elephants and cape buffalos as they truly are)

Back to your comment though, the cape buffalo is actually considered the most dangerous of the Big 5. Cape Buffalos are quite simply the bad assez of Africa. They are just ornery SOBs just cause its in their blood.

Almost like an elephant, they like to charge. And like an elephant, they do numerous false charges...but also a lot of real ones.

Especially when provoked or wounded - look out.

By "wounded," I'm not implying a bad inhumane poor shot here. I'm saying a perfect humane and lethal shot(s) into the vitals {lung, heart, liver} they will charge and chase and gore if they can til their infamous "death bellow," they do prior to dying.

(Many people don't realize a deer {whitetail, mule, sitka, black or coues} or an elk or bear, moose - what have you. ALL can run on their feet for at least 100 yards with a bullet or arrow humanely perfectly place in and or through a vital or vitals. Its called running "dead on their feet." An animals' adrenaline is a powerful thing! In Africa many animals, zebras, cape buffalos, many of their antelopes or other bovines can run or charge copious amounts of yardage!! Zebras are one of the toughest!!)

As for shooting an elephant, they indeed are incredibly smart and have one helleva memory. (as many of you I am sure have seen on TV when a family member dies. .....but in the same breath, they seem to not forget if it was a lion, hyenas, human, croc that was the cause of that death) They do have poor eyesight but their hearing and like most animals their sense of smell, is quite the opposite. They do indeed vanish or hide quite well for being an elephant. Mother Nature's camouflage is remarkable on many foreign animals.

It all depends if you are shooting a lone old bull, or a mature bull in a herd 10-20 other elephants mainly all cows and their calves with a few other competing bulls.

A lone bull is easier if the wind is right, you have cover and you make a lethal shot. (back into the charging, dead on their feet or a poor shot and they smell human and now want to kill human)

Whereas taking one from a herd of "helicopter mothers," calves and one or a handful of horny territorial bulls..........its a lot of eyes, ears and trunks working against you. Than after you shoot (even if you "brain" the bull (do a proper brain shot where they drop) or a lethal vital shot........all of those eyes, ears and trunks either run, stand and look around, or hunt.

IMG_2916.jpg

Are those megladon teeth? Although most of them I've seen are black.

Those are Great whites ( No bourlette, and not fossilized). This is a Meg

IMG_2514.jpg

Tortoise is correct. (Is that your megladon tooth? That is a sweet one!!)

The one by itself is a Lower Principle and the other three are 2 3/8 - 2 5/8 inch Upper Principles.

IMG_2916.jpg

Are those megladon teeth? Although most of them I've seen are black.

Those are Great whites ( No bourlette, and not fossilized). This is a Meg

IMG_2514.jpg

Tortoise is correct. (Is that your megladon tooth? That is a sweet one!!)

The one by itself is a lower principle and the other three are 2 3/8 - 2 5/8 inch Upper Principles .

yep, that's one of mine. (thumbs u

Great shape, nice serrations on the left side and not a nick or chip!

She is indeed a bute!!

(worship)

Thanks,I have it up next to a 2.34" Transitional Great White.. The size difference is incredible. I'm hoping to find a nice 6"+ this year.

Maybe this hunting stuff should find a home of its own over in the Water Cooler. Personally, I'm with the offended crowd and would prefer to see this thread get back on track.

I really don't understand why so many people seem offended. Icculus didn't post pics of the hunt itself, or of him posing with his kill, he just invited us into his world, his home... you don't have to like it, but being offended by his choice of decoration.. imo that's just wrong. I've seen pics of mounted fish here, and no-one was offended (shrug)

I really don't understand why so many people seem offended. Icculus didn't post pics of the hunt itself, or of him posing with his kill, he just invited us into his world, his home... you don't have to like it, but being offended by his choice of decoration.. imo that's just wrong. I've seen pics of mounted fish here, and no-one was offended (shrug)

That's different, and you know it.

It's wrong to be offended by this? (shrug) I'm offended and saddened.

It's his home and his world, I totally respect that. This just isn't the thread to showcase this.

Tortoise I hear you. But hunting can be a touchy subject. And taxidermy can follow suit with that. Fish a lot of times appear more pc, in people's eyes. My Granfather called it the, "brown eye and eyelash syndrome," with animal mounts. More emotions come forth with them than that of fish. And I have spoken of the acts of harvesting animals, which some might not find palatable - I understand that.

Everyone has been really cool with it in their replies or PMs. I don't want to have this have it turn it a politicalesque scene. I truly did not want to offend or force hunting down people's throats. I have definitely eatn up some pages and the thread has strayed away from comic rooms into animals - fact.

So Tortoise I thank-you for your kind post but I'll honor Rickl's wishes and end posting here.

(Hey at least I left out my gun room, to avoid a possible debate. lol!!)

Thanks everyone - as Tortoise said so eloquently, "for stepping into my home."