• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,299 posts in this topic

Comic book people seem to have cats and quite a few play guitar.

I have dogs & I play drums.

Maybe I'm weird.

Drums for me too, no pets at this time.

Tuba/Piano, but I'm retired from playing.

Miniature Schnauzer (Leemarvin), Cavalier KC Spaniel (Kirby).....not a shred of decency between the two of them.

Question: I got tired of looking at all the short boxes in my office and decided to make a comic cabinet / drawers. I've stained and varnished the outside but was thinking about finishing the inside as well. I stopped short because I was wondering that if I didn't keep the inside raw wood it would have an impact to the comics long term, maybe off gassing of the stain? Maybe I am overthinking this. All of the comics are in Mylar bags if that makes a difference. Thoughts?

If you're looking to minimize off-gassing, make sure you used a water-based sealer (instead of an oil-based one).

It's fun to build your own comic-book cabinets - this is a Sketchup drawing of the ones I'm currently working on:

Image%202015-08-06%20at%2012.02.55%20PM.png

What's going to be slightly less fun is building the 75 drawers that I need for this setup :lol:

Question: I got tired of looking at all the short boxes in my office and decided to make a comic cabinet / drawers. I've stained and varnished the outside but was thinking about finishing the inside as well. I stopped short because I was wondering that if I didn't keep the inside raw wood it would have an impact to the comics long term, maybe off gassing of the stain? Maybe I am overthinking this. All of the comics are in Mylar bags if that makes a difference. Thoughts?

If you're looking to minimize off-gassing, make sure you used a water-based sealer (instead of an oil-based one).

It's fun to build your own comic-book cabinets - this is a Sketchup drawing of the ones I'm currently working on:

Image%202015-08-06%20at%2012.02.55%20PM.png

What's going to be slightly less fun is building the 75 drawers that I need for this setup :lol:

Thats something i could see in my place... i need to start looking for shelves for my boxes... and i cant build worth a .

Comic book people seem to have cats and quite a few play guitar.

I have dogs & I play drums.

Maybe I'm weird.

Three English bulldogs and three drum sets - you're not alone!

Did a recent land / room grab and acquired another room for my comics, without relinquishing my old space!

Here is a tour of the new space:

Display wall (not sure if IKEA still makes this anymore but it is perfect - forgot the name too!)

WP_20150618_11_29_11_Pro_zpsqmvhxo5y.jpg

Nice and clean, I like!

Does anyone know what stands are being used to hold up the slabs?

Did a recent land / room grab and acquired another room for my comics, without relinquishing my old space!

Here is a tour of the new space:

Display wall (not sure if IKEA still makes this anymore but it is perfect - forgot the name too!)

WP_20150618_11_29_11_Pro_zpsqmvhxo5y.jpg

Nice and clean, I like!

Does anyone know what stands are being used to hold up the slabs?

Collectible Grading Authority Acrylic Cases. http://www.cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/Catalog.aspx?CategoryId=51

Anyone ever see that show hoarders?

2098AF5D-0DA5-4683-AC0B-3FD35AE3825D.jpg

407464F3-819C-49E8-A5C3-C24A6BFCEB18.jpg

Starting to get it organized a bit. I didn't really want to spend a ton of money but wanted stuff up off the floor (my stuff is in the basement). And I wanted to be able to organize it. I will post an all done picture in about 10 years when I have it done.

8DEB0D55-B79E-41EA-9FF1-9845B3B6F600.jpg