• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

3. Will you dump some lower grade GA knowning that you have an opportunity a year or so from now to buy a better condition copy or an upgrade from Bang?

If I were you (or anyone else), I wouldn't be planning what to buy based on what you think I will be doing in the future. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I thought somewhere on this thread you wanted to sell them eventually but I must of misread the thread. No harm intended.

killer display. but Bang, its time to get you some mylars and acid free backing boards dude!

Nahhhh.

After 30-40 years, I'd say he's got a pretty good idea of how to keep and store his books.

Stacked up and in the dark - look at those piles behind the table.

Wish he had moved that More Fun #73 over to ontop of the Jumbo though.

I just meant that many look all floppy in just bags with no support. Until he took them out this week yeah, they were untouched and safe. But, mylars and boards give good support and protection, more than bags. ahhh, maybe Im just projecting my love of placing comics into mylars. Not trying to criticize at all.

Can we just keep the thread on track without giving advice to a guy who is obviously way ahead of the curve when it comes to being a collector? Pretty please? It isn't hard. Just wait quietly, and post "WOW" every few hours. poke2.gif

killer display. but Bang, its time to get you some mylars and acid free backing boards dude!

That might not be a bad idea, but don't forget Edgar Church wasn't using mylars and acid free backing boards and his collection seems to have survived.

I'm with you BZ,

keep storing them just how you are - it's working great so far.

On a related collecting note - do you collect horror movie posters at all?

I do save movie posters. Film Noir, Hitchcock, etc

Actually, I meant this photo! ComicsTable1.jpg

Bangzoom;

Congrats on having the forsight to compile such an absolutely amazing and goreous collection of books. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Just wondering if your collection would have any Timely books since this is about the only major publisher which we have not seen so far?

Thanks again for sharing your one-of-a-kind collection visually with us here. thumbsup2.gif

Just wondering if your collection would have any Timely books since this is about the only major publisher which we have not seen so far?

Yes.

Sweet Jesus, thank you. I have been praying for Timely's and there are! I just had to take my blood pres. meds. yay.gif (Insert jiggy dancing graemlins here) yay.gif I will be waiting for your postings with great anticipation. Amazing collection of books, I am really amazed you were able to drop 7500.00 back in '73, you must have gotten a fair amount of *spoon* for that at the time. I can imagine what your family and friends thought, well I am sure by now they have swallowed their pride and realized what a savy investor you were. Obviously you did it more for the love of the books, than the investment or you would have sold many years ago, but still wise move and very good for us. That photo alone is worth a million bucks! Thank you for sharing it, most of us could not imagine having a collection like this. Maily because times have changed and the cost would be more than most make in 10 yrs. So it is very special to see this as it in my opinion is a once and a lifetime chance, to see high grade rare books in on swoop. So once again thank you for taking the time to share with us. Humbly waiting on your next post. thumbsup2.gif

Paul

Just a note, my wife had to hit me with 220 after seeing that pic and after a good 10 min. in which she thought I had gone vegitative, I finally recovered enough to breeth again on my own. smile.gif

Hey Bangzoom, it would be cool to hear some of what fandom was like when you first started. There aren't too many people here who can talk about what fandom was like during the early and mid-1960s. My own experiences with comics started in the late 1970s and early 1980s, but it would be great to hear what it was like to be a collector before comic conventions existed. I imagine it was a lot tougher to get books back then. Also, what drew you to collect comics? I know that for me, I was reading comics as a young child as soon as I first saw them, but I didn't become an actual "collector" until 1982 when I read a special "Guide to Collecting Comics" insert in an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. When did you become a collector (i.e., seeking out back issues and golden age books), as opposed to just a reader of new issues?

Bang,

This is truly remarkable..........99.9% of us will never have a collection even close to this...no matter how long we collect. ( Jon Berk would be the other .01% )

A very humbling and inspirational image....... thumbsup2.gif

Steve Meyer

So if the most you ever paid for a comic was $55 as a 13 year old, you must have acquired this collection as quite a young man... at what age did you stop actively collecting? Did your parents help you out with the costs back then or how else did you come up with the money as a young man?

Congrats!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very, very nice collection. It's amazing, how what we collect when we are young can be such a wonder when we are older. Didn't see any Captain Marvel goodness in that group, though the wonderous variety of books, more than make up for that. I keep kicking myself, for not buying books in the 80's that are near astronomical in price now. If you ever do want mylars and backing boards, I have a set of 50, that I would send gratis, Bang. You just have to use them on Captain Marvel Adventures and Whiz Comics 27_laughing.gif. Nah, there are other more important books in that pile than those. I am serious about the offer. PM me, if you do want those.

"...SUCH STUFF AS DREAMS ARE MADE ON" 893whatthe.gifcloud9.gif Shakespeare's The Tempest

Amazing story and outstanding books, Bangzoom! hail.gifhail.gif Thanks for sharing...

GE

You are so right Gino! Bang Zoom's books will be filling my dreams for the next few nights to be sure.

I got excited just looking at that picture, and began imagining the lovely smell that must permeate that room and how much fun it would be to go through those stacks.

I had a similar feeling with a couple of the collections I found years ago, but none of them were of this apparent magnitude.

But I thought Bang Zoom might like to see a picture of some of those books anyway..

Scan0002.jpg

Scan0001.jpg

Scan0003.jpg

Scan0004.jpg

Scan0032.jpg