• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

hello all...

I always thought the idea of "the arrow", shooting folks w/ b & a, was "fun for the whole family"...great stuff, as usually, BZ

gator

oops. late as usual.

Bangzoom, anybody else,

If I might ask an OT question-

Are there trades/hardcovers of these wonderful Science Fiction GA books? I know the EC books have been reprinted, but what about these Planet and other sci-fi books?

thanks in advance.

Do you have a Startling 45? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have # 44.

Isn't that close enough?? kngt.gif

Well, OK, I suppose another fabulous Ingels bondage cover will have to do. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I might post them as part of a group photo, but I doubt I'll be posting scans. I already have seen that lots of images are being used around the Internet. All-American 16, Adventure 40, and a bunch more, for example, are up over at the GCD site.

I think, at least at this time, I'd like to keep some of the more special comics a bit more private. cool.gif

Maybe I'll change my mind at a later date.

Bangzoom,

Sorry you are unhappy about the posts to the GCD. As you know, the GCD is a volunteer group, and nodody makes a buck off of it. If your images have been uploaded it's because they were upgrading existing covers others have contributed.

The listers appreciate your continued kindness to us, and I personally would hope that you could extend that to anybody who uses the GCD.

Would getting credit for the contributions change your mind?

It might be a good addition to the database.

Regards,

Greg Theakston

Pure Imagination Publishing

P.S. I coughed-up a $100 contribution last fall because I think it's an important resource.

P.P.S. More Eisner and/or Fine, please.

Blackhawk was obviously a popular character. It began life in 1944 and continued until 1984 when the series finally died. That's a 40 year run! Not many comic books have had such a long life.

The odd thing is I've never met anyone who collected the title.

Blackhawk9GA.jpg

Sorry you are unhappy about the posts to the GCD...

I didn't express an opinion, one way or the other, about my scans being used by GCD. I was just pointing out that it's the nature of the Internet for images/information to migrate around the web to different sites. I don't think that's always a bad thing, it's often beneficial to the public. However, I don't necessarily want to exhibit everything I own, so I've chosen to hold back on some images. That's all.

I'd be happy to post more Eisner or Fine covers. Is there a checklist I can refer to that lists their work? I could especially use help in identifying examples from early in their careers.

Blackhawk was obviously a popular character. It began life in 1944 and continued until 1984 when the series finally died. That's a 40 year run! Not many comic books have had such a long life.

Blackhawk9GA.jpg

I'm a big fan of Quality Comics and have owned a few Military and Modern and Blackhawk. Their stories and art seemed to be of a very consistant and high quality. The Blackhawk Archives are a great read.

The Blackhawk Archives are a great read.

My guess is that the first and only voume did horribly and it's going to be a loooong time before we see a volume 2 unfortunately sorry.gif

PrinceValiantFB26GA.jpg

Outstanding! Am I right in remembering that this illo is the only work Foster ever did for comics? 893applaud-thumb.gif

you are.

bz - if you need someone to put watermarks on your images, i would be happy to do that for you...

You need to get out more there, BZ - there are a LOT of Quality Comics collectors i have encountered - and especially Blackhawk, Military, Modern Comics enthusiasts

i have sold most all BH books i ever get my hands on

Do you have a Military #15? It has a cool Crandall BH story with (3) witches telling stories - and is the precursor to EC's (3) Witches - a cool classic

PrinceValiantFB26GA.jpg

Outstanding! Am I right in remembering that this illo is the only work Foster ever did for comics? 893applaud-thumb.gif

you are.

bz - if you need someone to put watermarks on your images, i would be happy to do that for you...

These days the title would read:

Prince Variant!

Or

Price Variant

crazy.gif

Sorry you are unhappy about the posts to the GCD...

I didn't express an opinion, one way or the other, about my scans being used by GCD. I was just pointing out that it's the nature of the Internet for images/information to migrate around the web to different sites. I don't think that's always a bad thing, it's often beneficial to the public. However, I don't necessarily want to exhibit everything I own, so I've chosen to hold back on some images. That's all.

I'd be happy to post more Eisner or Fine covers. Is there a checklist I can refer to that lists their work? I could especially use help in identifying examples from early in their careers.

Eisner checklist:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=penciller&query=eisner&sort=alpha&Submit=Search

Lou Fine checklist:

http://www.comics.org/search.lasso?type=...p;Submit=Search

In case you're going to post some Spirit sections 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, here's a checklist with artist information:

http://www.luckymojo.com/spiritchecklist.html

Angelo

PrinceValiantFB26GA.jpg

Technically yes - it's the only work Foster did for modern comic books. But he also did the cover of the 1929 Illustrated Tarzan Book, which is a hardcover Platinum Age comic. I'll bet BZ has one of those too, probably with the super rare dust jacket. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is a gorgeous FB 26! On a related note does anyone know if the covers of the two Rip Kirby Feature Books are the only original works that Raymond did for comic books? confused.gif

PrinceValiantFB26GA.jpg

Technically yes - it's the only work Foster did for modern comic books. But he also did the cover of the 1929 Illustrated Tarzan Book, which is a hardcover Platinum Age comic. I'll bet BZ has one of those too, probably with the super rare dust jacket. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, I do.

Maybe I can get a scan of it posted tonight. hi.gif

Spent the last two days going through the entire 107 pages to date. it's been a real treat to see so many different and lovely books. your story is a wonderful one and the inclusion of the backstories, pictures of stores and houses add to the enjoyment.

just an AMAZING collection that you've so intelligently put together.

I, too, am stunned by the fact that these books all look like they are in old Robert Bell poly bags, but are so remarkably colorful..........all Kudos to you........ hail.gif

BZ I understand your not wanting to scan all of your books, at least not right now. But do you have an inventory you could post?

Trust me I do not have one either insane.gif, just hoping I GUESS..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif