• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

Yes, that's the Zap #2 in the ebay listing, but the true first prints have the "Head First" story on the page offset downward so that it is near or at the bottom of the page as in the pic and not near the center of the page. The story is 7 full pages past the center and 5 full pages before the last on the left side.

1776082-zap2cutoffa.jpg

1776082-zap2cutoffa.jpg.6aa11feb4f8bfc2001a46fa7495b2b03.jpg

There's a 75 cent G.I. Joe 21 variant on ebay right now. I've never seen one of those before.

Got to be a Canadian edition. Seller could easily verify by looking in the indicia or anyone elese with a regular copy.

There's a 75 cent G.I. Joe 21 variant on ebay right now. I've never seen one of those before.

Got to be a Canadian edition. Seller could easily verify by looking in the indicia or anyone elese with a regular copy.

Canadian newsstand. Got one as well. thumbsup2.gif

List your top 5 white whales.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif <bearing in mind my current considerations directly...>

HUMAN FLY #3 (Only one, 9.4 on the CGC census?! Though, I finally managed to score a strong prospect from W.A.C. -- we'll see!)

HUMAN FLY #15 (Seriously, another one w/ none in the census?! A tough one w/ a black cover, I've seen quite a few and all appear to be sub-par!)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #165 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG. Overpaid a bit for a 8.5 a while back, but it insulted everything my #101-#200 set was all about, so I had to dump it!)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #160 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG -- am I just missing 'em? Besides, who wouldn't want the 1st Spider-Moblie appearance?!)

EARLY MARVEL TARZAN '77 SERIES (Early, HG copies just don't come up that often, or is it just me?)

sleeping.gifpoke2.gif

Here's 9 of them these are by far the toughest bronze age books to find that I know of poke2.gif anyone know where I can find any more of them flowerred.gif.

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

I have that Scooby Doo #1. It was one of those "eBay MINT" books, that upon recieving it, had four 1/8" rips on the cover frustrated.gif Luckily I was only out about $13 for it.

Here's 9 of them these are by far the toughest bronze age books to find that I know of poke2.gif anyone know where I can find any more of them flowerred.gif.

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

I have that Scooby Doo #1. It was one of those "eBay MINT" books, that upon recieving it, had four 1/8" rips on the cover frustrated.gif Luckily I was only out about $13 for it.

I'm betting your Scooby is a 30 cent cover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but if it is a 35 cent cover and you scored it for $13 then hail.gif regardless of the false advertising

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

Is that a current hidden auction on ebay now? 893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

Terry, I have these and some of the harder 30s on my ebay daily searches and I'm still coming up with nada. Usually I get beaten to the few hiddens I come across, by the usual suspects 27_laughing.gif

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

I'm betting your Scooby is a 30 cent cover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but if it is a 35 cent cover and you scored it for $13 then hail.gif regardless of the false advertising

Troll

My "white whale" has been well discussed here before - the Miracleman 3D 2D edition... still not found one I can buy - but they're out there. I offered £400 for the known UK one but was turned down.

Here's the facts from my index...

100 copies produced; signed and numbered in red ink by Cat Yronwode at the bottom of a variant page which explains amblyopia (variant page replaces the full-page ad for Mr. Monster no.3). Purchased only by mail order. Cost 2.5 times cover price. Has slightly thicker paper & stiffer cover.

3 known copies - 1 owned by XXXXX XXXXXX, a UK collector, no.92 /100 (and where this info came from); 1 owned by Michagan State University; 1 sold on eBay US in 2002 for around $150 (from memory).

BTW, I keep finding Marvel WHITMAN variants in UK collections I buy (see pics below) - does anyone have the FINAL story on these? Are they rare? There's little interest on eBay from my experience. Funny they turn up in the UK too - I never recall 3 packs as a child.

edfd_1.jpg

ee97_1.jpg