• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

How about Date with Danger #5 and #6 from 1954. These are the only produced comics with that title (they started with #5) and I have only seen one of each on ebay in the past 6 months (I bought the #5). Only 1 of each in the census too.

List your top 5 white whales.

Here's 9 of them these are by far the toughest bronze age books to find that I know of poke2.gif anyone know where I can find any more of them flowerred.gif.

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

I have that Scooby Doo #1. It was one of those "eBay MINT" books, that upon recieving it, had four 1/8" rips on the cover frustrated.gif Luckily I was only out about $13 for it.

I'm betting your Scooby is a 30 cent cover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but if it is a 35 cent cover and you scored it for $13 then hail.gif regardless of the false advertising

tonofbricks.gif Ha, I didn't even notice the price variant! No, mine's a 30 center sorry.gif

My hardest to track down comics have been......

VOODOO annual published by Ajax -Farrell

MONSTER CRIME and CRIME MUST STOP by Hillman

CATMAN 20, the classic Hitler cover

This Magazine is Haunted # 3, what is the story on this suckers rarity ?

Don't I know it! It's not only TMiH, try finding a copy of Master 126 that came out the same month and / or Mike Barnett # 2. I'm starting to wonder if the issue isn't isolated to TMiH # 3 but is made obvious because it's in higher demand than other Fawcett's released that month.

How about Date with Danger #5 and #6 from 1954. These are the only produced comics with that title (they started with #5) and I have only seen one of each on ebay in the past 6 months (I bought the #5). Only 1 of each in the census too.

1952 / 53. I sold a decent copy of one of these within the past year. Was it you?? :-)

VOODOO annual published by Ajax -Farrell ,1952

18184_2_001.jpg

MONSTER CRIME and CRIME MUST STOP by Hillman, both 1952

18648_2_001.jpg

13807_2_001.jpg

CATMAN 20, the classic Hitler cover, OCT 1943

255_2_20.jpg

This Magazine is Haunted # 3, FEB 1952, what is the story on this suckers rarity ?

12401_2_003.jpg

Don't I know it! It's not only TMiH, try finding a copy of Master 126 that came out the same month and / or Mike Barnett # 2. I'm starting to wonder if the issue isn't isolated to TMiH # 3 but is made obvious because it's in higher demand than other Fawcett's released that month.

How did you discover that those two other titles from the same month were scarce ? Fawcett collector ?

Are you collecting the whole run of Feb 1952 comics ? Like the guy who was trying to get all the comics from his B-DAY month and year ( I think there was an article in the old CBM (rest in peace) about this, ring a bell ?

Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1 and 2 .35 cent price variants.

Do you mean a .75 variant?

I have seen the .75 cover price. There is also a .35 price variant these books as well. I am rather certain that FlyingDonut has copies of them.

Stl Comics has a thread about it on their forums.

There is another issue similar to the Date with Danger publised by STANDARD. It was a 1950's Horror type ONE SHOT....but I can remember the title.......OH YEAH....it's titled WHO IS NEXT, 1953.

Even though it was a one shot it's NUMBER FIVE (weird numbering)....Anyway, that's a scarce one....ANYONE HAVE A SCAN of that comic ??

Here's 9 of them these are by far the toughest bronze age books to find that I know of poke2.gif anyone know where I can find any more of them flowerred.gif.

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

Nice books

How did you discover that those two other titles from the same month were scarce ? Fawcett collector ?

Are you collecting the whole run of Feb 1952 comics ? Like the guy who was trying to get all the comics from his B-DAY month and year ( I think there was an article in the old CBM (rest in peace) about this, ring a bell ?

Actually I'm collecting the whole run of March 1952 but if it's a bi-monthly I'll get the Feb-March 1952 issue. Yes, my inspiration was from that CBM article about the synchronic collection. Anyway, that's how I got tuned in the toughness of those Fawcett titles. You can add Bill Boyd # 21 on that list, also a Feb/March issue.

1251134-35%5C%27s.jpg

I have that Scooby Doo #1. It was one of those "eBay MINT" books, that upon recieving it, had four 1/8" rips on the cover frustrated.gif Luckily I was only out about $13 for it.

I'm betting your Scooby is a 30 cent cover 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but if it is a 35 cent cover and you scored it for $13 then hail.gif regardless of the false advertising

Troll
sleeping.gif

I have seen the .75 cover price. There is also a .35 price variant these books as well. I am rather certain that FlyingDonut has copies of them.

hi.gif

amethyst001.jpg

amethyst002.jpg

league of extraordinary gentlemen 5 the recalled one with the Marvel Ad. Have yet to find one.

Don't know how 'rare' it is.

Also the death issue of Miracleman (15). found one, but it is not in great shape. Also unsure how rare this is, although it is noted as a low distribution book.

Searched for a nice More Fun 73 for years...never bought it...(yeah, that sucks).

FYI I would buy the League or Miracleman if anyone has them

hi.gif

amethyst001.jpg

Hmph. If I had seen these elsewhere I would have sworn they were Photoshopped.

BTW, I think I have a couple of .75 variants laying around... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

league of extraordinary gentlemen 5 the recalled one with the Marvel Ad. Have yet to find one.

Don't know how 'rare' it is.

Also the death issue of Miracleman (15). found one, but it is not in great shape. Also unsure how rare this is, although it is noted as a low distribution book.

LOEG #5 Marvel Ad is very tough to find. I've never seen one.

MM #15 isn't really that rare. I've had a few. It is pretty difficult in HG though. I've got one that is 9.4, with a shot at 9.6. It's alot easier to find than #23 or 24 though.

As far as MM#15 goes, I think alot of people that have that book are keeping it as the only way to read the story is with the actual pamphlets as it was only reprinted once in TPB, and you'd spend more buying the trades than putting together a complete run. If they ever do get thru the legal BS and the books reprinted again, some HG copies will surface for sale.

1952 / 53. I sold a decent copy of one of these within the past year. Was it you?? :-)

I dunno, the #5 had some letters written on the cover. I think it spelled "lowell" or something like that. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I'll check tonight.