• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,037 posts in this topic

I entered the silver age at a little later date. These are a few of my first Justice League of Americas that I've put together over the past few years. #55 was the first issue of JLA that I bought on my own back in 1967; this copy is not it of course, but I am very happy to have acquired a nice, high grade copy finally. The rest represent some of my favorite covers from my early days of collecting :cool: .

mJgoI90.jpg

Very nice Jay!

Do you collect just those issues that you remember fondly, or are you attempting to put together a nice little run of the series?

It sounds like this is just a sample - but it is s strong sample!

Brad.

When I was a kid, my older brother bought mostly DC Superman comics. He also would buy other DC books on occasion. I would sneak into his stash of books and look at them, (I couldn't read yet, but as a kid, they were just too colorful and irresistible). I clearly remember he had these issues of Justice League of America: #43-47, 50, 53 and 54. At 6 years old, my father started giving me $1.00 a week allowance, which I promptly used to start buying comic books myself. I then picked up where my brother left off and started buying at issue #55 and bought every issue right up to #106 when I stopped. Unfortunately, most of my original collection is long gone, traded away to friends or sold off as I got older. So, I guess, I'm just trying to find high grade copies of some of my first collected books and then some more featuring my favorite covers. I just love the cover of #61, a simple, yet striking take on the floating head concept. I always thought the Royal Flush gang was a good foil for the Justice League too, so I hope to eventually find high grade copies of #43 and #54 since my brother had those at one time too. Well, there you have it, my beginnings into collecting the Justice League of America going all the back to the mid-late 60's. :grin:

When I was a kid, my older brother bought mostly DC Superman comics. He also would buy other DC books on occasion. I would sneak into his stash of books and look at them, (I couldn't read yet, but as a kid, they were just too colorful and irresistible). I clearly remember he had these issues of Justice League of America: #43-47, 50, 53 and 54. At 6 years old, my father started giving me $1.00 a week allowance, which I promptly used to start buying comic books myself. I then picked up where my brother left off and started buying at issue #55 and bought every issue right up to #106 when I stopped. Unfortunately, most of my original collection is long gone, traded away to friends or sold off as I got older. So, I guess, I'm just trying to find high grade copies of some of my first collected books and then some more featuring my favorite covers. I just love the cover of #61, a simple, yet striking take on the floating head concept. I always thought the Royal Flush gang was a good foil for the Justice League too, so I hope to eventually find high grade copies of #43 and #54 since my brother had those at one time too. Well, there you have it, my beginnings into collecting the Justice League of America going all the back to the mid-late 60's. :grin:

Of the later villains I always also thought that the Royal Flush gang along with Sandman were special appearances in the JLA universe. (thumbs u

Edited by AlexanderM

That's a good story Jay.

I was kind of the opposite in my JLA collecting at first. I started collecting them in the mid-late 70s, so my exposure would've started around issue 120 or so and continued on through issue 180ish. I never really thought about preserving the comics or even keeping them all that long. Usually, whenever I would accumulate a 100 comics or so, I would march down with my pile of comics to the used goods store and sell them for 10 cents a comic.

So when I got back into collecting a few years back, I was a little apprehensive about buying comics that I had originally paid 25-40 cents for. I got over it, of course, just seemed like the exact opposite of buy low, sell high - I buy for 30 cents, sell for 10 cents and buy back for $80. :grin:

On a curious side note, anyone ever notice that just 2 or 3 months after DC introduces their super-red faced android the Red Tornado in the Justice League, Marvel brings out their super red-faced android the Vision in the Avengers? :slapfight:

nfrcp9H.jpg

I honestly think Marvel have always been good at picking up ideas and doing well with them. Show Howard the duck to most Europeans and they will swear it is Donald. Kazar? who? Surely thst is Tarzan! But often they have managed to make their version more well-known than the inspiration. JLA is a TEAM of Super-heroes...shortly after we see Marvel's first team of Super-heroes. And a million other examples. But Marvel are imo. better at maximizing the potential of the characters they own. Many many more people around the world, for example, know Xmen than know JLA. And therefore it is no surprise at all that this year's global ps3 bestseller was Lego Marvel Super-heroes. The brand power that Marvel is building internationally is just outperforming DC by miles.