• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,037 posts in this topic

Love the JLA, I'm a handful of issues away from completing my run (as long as you don't count the B&B issues, only have the middle one of those three). Here's my #1:

JLA001_zps76c2c434.jpg

Some cool Justice League of America #1's there.

Has anyone ever noticed that most (but not all) of the number 1 DC books from this era did not have an issue number on the cover. Anyone know why DC did this? Some number 1's that don't have a "No. 1" on the covers are of course this Justice League of America and then the Atom, Metal Men, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, Aquaman, Sea Devils and Lois Lane. Two books I found that are an exception to this and do have a "No. 1" on them are Hawkman and Metamorpho. Can anyone think of any others? Just curious about this. hm

DC was afraid comic readers wouldn't buy #1 comics because they weren't established titles.

Close.

I don't think the perceived problem lay with the punters i.e. buyers, but rather with the retailers and distributors.

Why take a chance on a "new" title?

This goes some way to explaining why some GA titles first issues were things like Marvel Mystery #2.

Well, that and the US Postal regulations at the time.

Kanjar Ro, my favorite JLA cover, #3 . Tough black cover.......

11890678326_ee69f37273_o.jpg

That's a beauty.

That is probably the toughest Justice League issue of them all to find in grade.

:(

Edited by Hepcat