• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wonder Woman all the Time thread
8 8

2,598 posts in this topic

Seems to me there are a lot of compelling reasons to think #98 is the first SA issue:

• DC has selected it as the beginning. Both the Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol 1 and Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess Archives Vol. 1 books begin with #98.
  • It's the first pairing of the classic SA team of Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru.
  • Original artist H.G. Peter's last issue was #97
  • It contains the origin of Wonder Woman. It's presented like it's a new story, like a re-boot. The origin has some changes to it. The story continues in #99, telling how she became Diana Prince.
  • Hippolyta's hair changed from brunette to blond.
  • GCD Notes: "Bob Kanigher launches a Silver Age revamping of the book, starting from square one with a new, blonde Queen Hippolyta officiating the contest that sends Princess Diana to Man's World. In the next few issues, Diana will assume a secret identity as secretary to Col. Steve Trevor in Military Intelligence, and many of the old Golden Age villains will be relaunched."

Edited by RedFury

Seems to me there are a lot of compelling reasons to think #98 is the first SA issue:

• DC has selected it as the beginning. Both the Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman Vol 1 and Wonder Woman: The Amazon Princess Archives Vol. 1 books begin with #98.
  • It's the first pairing of the classic SA team of Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru.
  • It contains the origin of Wonder Woman. It's presented like it's a new story, like a re-boot. The origin has some changes to it. The story continues in #99, telling how she became Diana Prince.
  • GCD Notes: "Bob Kanigher launches a Silver Age revamping of the book, starting from square one with a new, blonde Queen Hippolyta officiating the contest that sends Princess Diana to Man's World. In the next few issues, Diana will assume a secret identity as secretary to Col. Steve Trevor in Military Intelligence, and many of the old Golden Age villains will be relaunched."

I agree with RedFury. I'd go with #98. Moreover the Silver Age Wonder Woman art team of Ross Andru and Mike Esposito took over the interior artwork on the title with issue #98 - and it was a very dramatic change in style since H.G. Peter's artwork looks very old-fashioned. Andru and Esposito had already been doing the covers for some time though.

;)

But neither of those issues are ones that WW collectors seek out. You can't compare them to WW#1 or Sensation #1...

At least #105 has a "following"

That may make it easier for me to find copies of these!!! I will probably get an issue #105 as well, eventually.

This has been my view for quite some time. WW 105 has a very cool cover but its place in history is not as important as many portray it to be.

This has been my view for quite some time. WW 105 has a very cool cover but its place in history is not as important as many portray it to be.

Thanks for the reassurance my friend! (thumbs u

I have good idea of which way to go now.

Since I consider detective 225 the start of the sa (nov 1955)

There isn't a bright line delineating the start and end of any age. Even if you agree that GA starts with Action 1, that doesn't mean that all books from all publishers changed that same month. Nor is their agreement on when the GA ended and whether there is such a thing as an Atomic Age.

In order for a comic to start an age it has to inspire and have a noticeable success -- the world, in essence, must have changed because of its arrival. This excludes Tec 225. There's no evidence I'm aware of a creator being contemporaneously inspired by Martian Manhunter, much less comic fans declaring him "favorite hero" or handing out awards to the creative team. Nor was it very successful judging by the fact that it received top billing on a comic starting only in June 1964. Martian Manhunter didn't even make a cover appearance until B&B 28.

Flash, otoh, was a re-interpretation of the original GA Flash with a science fiction twist. That was the pattern for GL, Atom, Hawkman etc. B&B 28 was the natural evolution of the All Star/ Justice Society concept for the new heroes. Even the Marvel hero origins were science fiction based, though with the Kirby/Lee/Ditko spin loved by Marvel zombies and others. The creators and fans all noticed the difference in super-heros before Flash and after Flash, and gave awards to Schwartz/Infantino/Anderson. There were superheros created/revived throughout the 50s but the one that "stuck" was the Flash.

I misunderstood the question...the first "silver" age WW (I assumed comic) is issue 79 or 80something, depending on when you view the SA as starting... the first time WW 's character changed, appears to be the 98 issue

I misunderstood the question...the first "silver" age WW (I assumed comic) is issue 79 or 80something, depending on when you view the SA as starting... the first time WW 's character changed, appears to be the 98 issue

Okay thanks!

Some big WW keys were posted for sale and sold in a day on comiclink,

and some GPA's we're definitely shattered:

Sensation #1 ( 4.0 ) $5,400 Mar-2008

NOW $9000 on Comiclink.

Wonder woman #1 ( 4.0 ) $5,800 Mar-2013

NOW $6250 on Comiclink (WHITE pgs)

All Star #8 ( 5.5 ) $6,877 Oct 2010

NOW $15,000 on Comiclink

(but a 5.0 sold for 14,938 in August 2013)

:popcorn:

I can't come here anymore, or I won't get any work done. But, hmm I might have to join this party and start posting some pics.

Edited by Rip

The GA WW keys are still a good buy I think. The character is so important. I'm not surprised at the price increases, but they still pale when compared to the early 'man' keys.

Some big WW keys were posted for sale and sold in a day on comiclink,

and some GPA's we're definitely shattered:

Sensation #1 ( 4.0 ) $5,400 Mar-2008

NOW $9000 on Comiclink.

Wonder woman #1 ( 4.0 ) $5,800 Mar-2013

NOW $6250 on Comiclink (WHITE pgs)

All Star #8 ( 5.5 ) $6,877 Oct 2010

NOW $15,000 on Comiclink

(but a 5.0 sold for 14,938 in August 2013)

Hi Bob, :)

I bought the WW #1 today. I have been trying to put together the 'Trifecta' of her key 1st appearances. (thumbs u

Two down, now 1 to go with the SC #1. I could have bought that one off CL also, but I want at least OW pages.

I would like to get WW first SA appearances also, but those don't come up at all. (shrug)

That was a nice looking book and White pages no less! Congrats!

I know I've said this many times but I do think WW is going to make a mammoth correction on the day the character finally gets the respect she deserves.

I totally agree that she is a hugely important milestone in comics and someday the title will be up there with the big boys.

I thinks WW keys are already making a correction in price. I've been after an All-Star 8 for about 3 years now, and keep watching it slip out of my reach. Heck, I can't even find any for sale anymore regardless the price. Someone is hoarding...