• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

Hey Jim,

Did you pick up that Strange Tales 136 9.4 WM in the Clink auction? I hope not as it went for way too much money. Are you even collecting the WM Dr. Strange/Nick Fury Strange Tales?

I pity the poor sucker that popped $700 for a 9.4 when the Boston copy sold about a year ago in 9.6 for $575.

Doc: No I didn't, I bid it up but kept getting outbid. It was until later that I learned that the person who won it is/was a big supporter of this thread and my goal and has posted in this thread many times. If he had just come to me before and expressed how badly he wanted it, I could have probably saved him $500. :sorry:

Jim

That was sort of a dickmove. Perhaps it was seen as an opportunity to make money off of you. I would hope not. I would hope we would at least have that much respect for one another here.

Well, at least it was a no nothing book, not even a minor key. Plus, you know what they paid for it if they try to flip it on you. You learn something new everyday. :foryou:

Hey Jim,

Did you pick up that Strange Tales 136 9.4 WM in the Clink auction? I hope not as it went for way too much money. Are you even collecting the WM Dr. Strange/Nick Fury Strange Tales?

I pity the poor sucker that popped $700 for a 9.4 when the Boston copy sold about a year ago in 9.6 for $575.

Doc: No I didn't, I bid it up but kept getting outbid. It was until later that I learned that the person who won it is/was a big supporter of this thread and my goal and has posted in this thread many times. If he had just come to me before and expressed how badly he wanted it, I could have probably saved him $500. :sorry:

Jim

That was sort of a dickmove. Perhaps it was seen as an opportunity to make money off of you. I would hope not. I would hope we would at least have that much respect for one another here.

Well, at least it was a no nothing book, not even a minor key. Plus, you know what they paid for it if they try to flip it on you. You learn something new everyday. :foryou:

Well, Jim wouldn't have saved the buyer quite as much as $500, since I placed a max bid of $400 on the book. Granted, it's not a key in any way, but it's got one of those cool Kirby red monotone covers and is surprisingly hard to find in top shape. I own the Mass copy, but it's only a lowly 9.0.

$700 seems like an awful lot to someone who thought $400 was an aggressive bid, but it's only one of many prices realized in that auction that seem downright insane to me. (shrug) I honestly think there's a group psychology at work on these auctions that drives some bidders to overpay massively for books. Case in point: the FF50 in 9.4 white. Since the book went for $12,750, that means there is an underbidder willing to pay 12 grand for the book. Yet, when I offered a 9.4 white paged pedigree copy on these boards for a mere 11 grand (what a steal! hm), the underbidder did not purchase it.

Call it the Comiclink Crazy!

Saving up for the X-Mens...better to let one book go now than lose forty in a couple of months, that up until Heritage acquired them, were presumed tied up in an unknown collection forever. Plus I'm working on a deal for a WM super key!!!

Jim

:popcorn:

Saving up for the X-Mens...better to let one book go now than lose forty in a couple of months, that up until Heritage acquired them, were presumed tied up in an unknown collection forever. Plus I'm working on a deal for a WM super key!!!

Jim

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Jim

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Jim

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hey Jim,

Jim

Collusion (tsk)

Well here comes another one, found in a very unexpected place, a local dealer/collectors inventory here in Toronto. Our own R1970D located it for me in August, but I haven't been able to hook with with said dealer, until yesterday here at a local show. ASM #16

WMASM16.jpg

The absolute nicest 7.5 on the planet. It's actually a 9.4 book but as you can see there is some type of distrubutors spray/ink stain at Daredevils right hand, and the book get's hammered...as it probably should have been.

Jim

Well here comes another one, found in a very unexpected place, a local dealer/collectors inventory here in Toronto. Our own R1970D located it for me in August, but I haven't been able to hook with with said dealer, until yesterday here at a local show. ASM #16

WMASM16.jpg

The absolute nicest 7.5 on the planet. It's actually a 9.4 book but as you can see there is some type of distributors spray/ink stain at Daredevils right hand, and the book get's hammered...as it probably should have been.

Jim

That looks like a ing blood stain. :eek:

:jokealert:

Actually, I don't know why CGC discounts for distribution stains. I don't really care for them, but I would view them more along the lines of a production defect.

Sweet book even if it is second hand news. :( Did it come from the same guy as the BG?

Jim

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Well it appears that I've kept everybody in suspense long enough....

I am proud to announce that a genuine, White Mountain super key has arrived safely in Canada. I was wondering which one would be first, and this is a book that appeared on EVERYBODIES top ten list of Silver Marvels thread from a few months ago. So without any further delay...

I present.....

WMAvengers4.jpg

Upon inspection it appears to be a 9.4-9.6 book that took a hit in grade from a rusted staple stain to the right of Thors left shoulder. I love 9.6 looking books at 9.2 prices.

:acclaim::cloud9::acclaim::cloud9:

Jim