• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

Jim,

We talked about this in B'More. And I asked you then, why buy books you dont like. If a book is purchased for the pedigree, not the love of the book. It is money wasted. I really hope you enjoy the Timelys, and look forward to seeing what you acquire. But at least now you are back to buying books you really want!

Jim,

We talked about this in B'More. And I asked you then, why buy books you dont like. If a book is purchased for the pedigree, not the love of the book. It is money wasted. I really hope you enjoy the Timelys, and look forward to seeing what you acquire. But at least now you are back to buying books you really want!

Pat: Some things take months to actually sink in.

Jim

Since the collection goes all the way back to 1954 from what I know, and contains Atlas, ECs, DCs, and Marvels, it seems quite possible.

It goes back to at least 1948. I own a 1952 issue, not sure if I have or have had any earlier ones.

SpaceAdv36.jpg

Astonishing39-4.jpg

BraveBold40-3.jpg

TOS28.jpg

It's now the "N'yah, n'yah, Jim" thread.

I wonder how many people are seriously dis-appointed that you don't collect them any more? They were hoping to cash in.

lol

It goes back to at least 1948. I own a 1952 issue, not sure if I have or have had any earlier ones.

Thanks for the great info, and also for posting a very few of your splendid WM books.

Thanks for the great info, and also for posting a very few of your splendid WM books.

You're welcome. There were quite a few lots of WM books in the first few Sotheby's auctions. I assume there will be a more comprehensive overview provided by Jim when the SA pedigree is book produced.

It's now the "N'yah, n'yah, Jim" thread.

Who would be so crass? :juggle:

AmazFantRunsm.jpg

I understood Jim's passion for WM. That unique collection will always be a major part in SA lore. It seems to me that the huge scale of it got him down and I think that a change of collecting focus can be very positive.

As a SA DC collector, I felt a little demoralized by the Toth collection - wanting so much yet knowing I could never even begin to acquire all I wanted. By sampling just a few favorites I at least have some great examples from it.

To go from wanting everything WM to wanting nothing must have been a tough mental readjustment. I would have advised a little "cold turkey" by keeping just a few favorites and so leaving the door open to acquire a few more WM wants if/when they become available.

This still would have left whole new collecting areas open, yet not have totally dismissed the possibility of nurturing a small yet beloved sample from that great WM!

Anyway, good luck, Jim, with your new collection!