• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

They are gone...I'm sorry I wasn't able to sell some off to people that I know were looking for particular issues. It would have been to difficult to watch them leave one by one, and this worked out best for me. I'll go into details tomorrow as I just got back from the show, but if somebody wanted something specific, they should give Bob Storms a shout for any particular issue they were looking for.

Jim

Good luck on your new pursuit, Jim. (thumbs u

:sorry: this was my favorite thread. can't wait to see your next goal.

Believe me, this is not exactly the way I planned for this to end but there are a number of reasons why I chose now to give up.

When I made a concious decision for this to be my focus, I never considered the possibility of discovering GA books. I was a Silver guy, always had been and I couldn't see that changing but I never thought that I would become involved in the pedigree book and become exposed to a whole new world . Nor when I started out buying WM's did I ever forsee the numerous problems I would run into. Sometimes books would show up for sale at inopportune times but I always felt like I had to make a serious run at the book/s or perhaps lose out forever. When there is only one of something and I didn't have another book to fall back on, sometimes I had to overpay to acquire a book and couldn't wait for the next copy to show up. Although many board members were very gracious and sold their copies to me and even watched out for me (I would get numerous PM's everytime a new WM showed up on CL, Pedigree, Ebay etc) many others held them hostage and demanded a kings ransom in return.

I also realized I was buying books (usually run books) that I really had no interest in owning other than the fact it was a WM. FF #24, the Infant Terrible book, was my epiphany book. It was made available and at an asking price of $3,700 I came to terms that perhaps this was the end of the line.

I've made many friends during my "quest" and I have no regrets. I have learned a lot about myself and the hobby, and although I will still chase pedigree books I will not limit myself to only one kind. Many people were in my corner and rooting for me and were genuinely excited everytime I posted a new book and got one step closer. For that I will always be grateful.

Jim

So show us what you bought with all the loot you got from the sale of these WMs !

Teddie: Because you asked, here is my haul from NYC, and I still have loot to spare :acclaim:

Cap36.jpg

LexiesPics002.jpg

PennMMC37.jpg

MMC48SF.jpg

Jim

Awesome!!! (worship)

Dear Jim,

For many months now, I've been avidly following your self assingned task of collecting every WM SA Marvel SuperHero ( including Nick Fury Agent of Sheild).

And I've watched, and applauded with everone else, with each new acquisition. Waiting with anticipation to see which SA WM gem would appear next.

So now upon learning that you've reconciled with your inner consciance to sell the collection as it stood. I am rendered mute with surprise :o

And reminded of the caption line for the movie Alien, and changed it for this moment ...'No one can hear you scream on an internet chat board'.

Yes, I'm stunned and dismayed...dismayed I say.

BUT, seeing your new purchases, I have to say they are impressive. And from a SA grade queen's perspective, even the 9.0's are gorgeous!

So with mixed emotions Jim, I say well done, congrats... and goodbye from from the SA section :cry:

Brass

:sorry: this was my favorite thread. can't wait to see your next goal.

Believe me, this is not exactly the way I planned for this to end but there are a number of reasons why I chose now to give up.

When I made a concious decision for this to be my focus, I never considered the possibility of discovering GA books. I was a Silver guy, always had been and I couldn't see that changing but I never thought that I would become involved in the pedigree book and become exposed to a whole new world . Nor when I started out buying WM's did I ever forsee the numerous problems I would run into. Sometimes books would show up for sale at inopportune times but I always felt like I had to make a serious run at the book/s or perhaps lose out forever. When there is only one of something and I didn't have another book to fall back on, sometimes I had to overpay to acquire a book and couldn't wait for the next copy to show up. Although many board members were very gracious and sold their copies to me and even watched out for me (I would get numerous PM's everytime a new WM showed up on CL, Pedigree, Ebay etc) many others held them hostage and demanded a kings ransom in return.

I also realized I was buying books (usually run books) that I really had no interest in owning other than the fact it was a WM. FF #24, the Infant Terrible book, was my epiphany book. It was made available and at an asking price of $3,700 I came to terms that perhaps this was the end of the line.

I've made many friends during my "quest" and I have no regrets. I have learned a lot about myself and the hobby, and although I will still chase pedigree books I will not limit myself to only one kind. Many people were in my corner and rooting for me and were genuinely excited everytime I posted a new book and got one step closer. For that I will always be grateful.

Jim

Flipper.

What's the next addition to the fall collection...pulps?

:makepoint:

I can relate...when I was reading and buying silver and bronze then gold was merely a historical fact. I love the fact that I am now chasing books that started it all. One day I would love to own every comic ever made as I love them all but I'm quite content to collect early Timely books for now...artifacts that will forever be considered the best of the best at the start of our hobby.

This is a great thread and I have had great fun following Jim's finds. I can't wait for him to start a new thread in the Gold section.

So now, "My White Mountain Quest" is vacant and open to new ownership. Who out there is bold enough to take on the challenge. With Jim's collection and the stuff on Heritage, you could get a good start on the deal and make your claim to the thread really quick.