• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

WOW...you sold the whole collection ??

Hey, what were some of your favorite White Mountain acquisitions ?

And,

when you sold all of them to Bob Storms, how many of them had you acquired ?

I was just curious. I had been reading your thread from the start and thought those were appropriate questions (shrug)

It goes back to at least 1948. I own a 1952 issue, not sure if I have or have had any earlier ones.

Thanks for the great info, and also for posting a very few of your splendid WM books.

You're welcome. There were quite a few lots of WM books in the first few Sotheby's auctions. I assume there will be a more comprehensive overview provided by Jim when the SA pedigree is book produced.

It's now the "N'yah, n'yah, Jim" thread.

Who would be so crass? :juggle:

AmazFantRunsm.jpg

Man those are frickin' sweet!!!!!! :luhv:

WOW...you sold the whole collection ??

Hey, what were some of your favorite White Mountain acquisitions ?

And,

when you sold all of them to Bob Storms, how many of them had you acquired ?

I was just curious. I had been reading your thread from the start and thought those were appropriate questions (shrug)

I'm sorry, I wasn't avoiding the question.

My favourite was the Avengers #4 9.2 book. I had worked on tracking the book down for over a year and then all of a sudden it pops up on Ebay...a very pleasant surprise to say the least. About a year ago now, Comic Connect had about 10 FF White Mountain for auction, and even with double and triple GPA high bids, I got blown out of the water on all except 2. A few days later I got a PM from Harry (Burntboy) for an FF #27 he had. He charged a better than fair price and it really helped get over my losses from the previous weekend.

In Chicago 07, my first Con I had ever travelled for (haven't stopped since :) ) I passed by Joe Verenaults booth and asked if he had any WM's for sale. He said to look in his TTA section as he thought he had one in there. Well he had six and I was on cloud nine. At $25-$30 bucks each I thought this was going to be a piece of cake. Since then I have A:) never found a raw WM for sale in anybodies bins and B:) Paid $25 for a WM again :)

I was pushing around 70 Marvel WM's at the time of sale and the reason I never held any back was A:) when I found something great in GA the WM would be the first to go to finance it and B:) I didn't want to be reminded of what once was

Jim

Wow Jim... really surprised to see you sold of the WM collection, but I'm glad you were able to transition it into something else you will continue to enjoy. I think it's safe to say that when boardies hear White Mountain, they think CGCWorld! ;)

2 to 3 years ago i had the chance to get the Avengers 4 WM copy for $2800 via Pedigree. :makepoint: Also the curator for a whopping $3600. Both have the same grade although the PQ for the Curator is a winner (ow/w) vs. (cr/ow) for the WM copy. The WM copy has a better cover though. oh well. Now i have a well centered 7.5 copy, still had i known. :cry: i think that book is $6k to $8k easy.

Ever since Jim (CGCWorld) sold his WM pedigrees this thread has not been the same. I always felt this was Jim's thread and we were all watching his WM collection expand, one book at a time, one trade at a time, it was good reading. He wheeled and dealed like no one else to get those books into Canada.....Now that he bailed out, the WM collecting world is not the same.....I feel like we lost our WM leader. Jim, please come back,, we need you, this thread needs you!

Who amongst you will take the helm and assume the new WM acquistition lead? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Who shall rise up and be our new White Mountain leader?

rantrant

Ever since Jim (CGCWorld) sold his WM pedigrees this thread has not been the same. I always felt this was Jim's thread and we were all watching his WM collection expand, one book at a time, one trade at a time, it was good reading. He wheeled and dealed like no one else to get those books into Canada.....Now that he bailed out, the WM collecting world is not the same.....I feel like we lost our WM leader. Jim, please come back,, we need you, this thread needs you!

Who amongst you will take the helm and assume the new WM acquistition lead? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

rantrant

Jim will always be the WM King, like Aaron will always be the home run king. Here's to you, Jim!

IH2small.jpg

rantrant

Stuart: I appreciate the sentiments, and I love this thread and the people who have supported me. I love the pedigree, and I know I will sort of be associated with the pedigree like MacMan posted earlier. I'm in a happy place, and have no regrets. If I hadn't of sold already I sure as heck would have when the WM X-Men #1 went for $10k+ in total frustration. I have notes on what I was willing to pay for each book, and would have one most of them in the auction (according to their closing prices). The #1 I would have finished about $6,000 short on.

Jim

rantrant

Perhaps if you had sold him the copies you had he wouldn't have lost heart. :baiting:

rantrant

Perhaps if you had sold him the copies you had he wouldn't have lost heart. :baiting:

Looks like Stuart wanted them more than Jim. :baiting: