• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My White Mountain Quest

570 posts in this topic

Thats the thing, I remember reading some of Steve Filosa's ped data bases for various titles. And the WM's always seemed sporatic. And I asssumed it wasn't from the books not being in the collection in the first place.

I can only guess that as the collection has been spread with various initial sales, and re-sales, only certains ones have been slabbed.

I guess the big question is whether they are out there with cert's, or something distinguishing them, or have they fallen into the general pool of books anonymously (shrug)

I guess the big question is whether they are out there with cert's, or something distinguishing them, or have they fallen into the general pool of books anonymously (shrug)

The latter is highly unlikely. Nearly all WM SA Marvels are characterized not only by their outstanding appearance and page quality, but also by the smell of mothballs, the arrival year marked in pen on the cover, and a pen or stamped arrival date on the splash page.

I believe it is highly likely that a single collector purchased the entire DD run and TOS run when they were first offered for sale by Sotheby's (could be the same or two collectors), and kept them as raw beauties without a change of ownership. If memory serves me, Sotheby's often would sell runs of a particular title in large lots, thereby increasing the likelihood that a single collector might be in possession of the entire DD (or TOS) WM run.

The latter is highly unlikely. Nearly all WM SA Marvels are characterized not only by their outstanding appearance and page quality, but also by the smell of mothballs, the arrival year marked in pen on the cover, and a pen or stamped arrival date on the splash page.

I believe it is highly likely that a single collector purchased the entire DD run and TOS run when they were first offered for sale by Sotheby's (could be the same or two collectors), and kept them as raw beauties without a change of ownership. If memory serves me, Sotheby's often would sell runs of a particular title in large lots, thereby increasing the likelihood that a single collector might be in possession of the entire DD (or TOS) WM run.

Thanks! I knew about the writing, but I've also seen WM's without this. But on the whole there is a good chance we're looking at a mixed scenario, where some of the pedigree is still sitting intact in someone's collection as a run or two, and the remainder is scattered.

I did read previously, that CGC has picked up these ped's and noted them as such, even when the submitter had no idea of providence.

I did read previously, that CGC has picked up these ped's and noted them as such, even when the submitter had no idea of providence.

:grin: 'Tis not the hand of the Lord but merely the discretion of CGC, my son. :devil:

That, and knowing something of a books' provenance.

When CGC opens the book to grade it, you can smell a White Mountain a mile away, which helps :)

Speaking of which two more FF's arrived today coutesy of last months Comic Connect auction. Unfortunately I was only able to win 2 of the 7 that were available but it wasn't a complete shutout.

WMFF25.jpg

WMFF38.jpg

Jim

When CGC opens the book to grade it, you can smell a White Mountain a mile away, which helps :)

Speaking of which two more FF's arrived today coutesy of last months Comic Connect auction. Unfortunately I was only able to win 2 of the 7 that were available but it wasn't a complete shutout.

WMFF25.jpg

WMFF38.jpg

Jim

Nice :applause:

The 25 was graded at an 8.0 in the auction...what do you think it grades at?

WMFF25.jpg

WMFF38.jpg

Jim

Nice :applause:

The 25 was graded at an 8.0 in the auction...what do you think it grades at?

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know what the 16 went for? By the way,Jim,you're putting together a very nice batch of books :applause: .GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That #16 went for about $1600. I lost out on it on Ebay for $1275 on New Years Eve when it was still an old label 9.0 book. I guess the owner immediately cracked it open and sent it for auction. I didn't understand the reasoning and figured he would lose money but he proved me wrong.

The #25 is definitely an 8.0 if not better, it has one flaw (the scuff under the lower staple, hard to see by my pic). I wish the FF#31 which I bought from Metropolis as a 9.0 was graded as tight :(

Jim

Two more additions to the collection today. Although I don't collect Bronze stuff when this showed up courtesty of Bob Storms I had to pick up this bronze key.

WMDEF1.jpg

The next I hemmed and hawed over for a few weeks while it sat on an Ebay store but on the advice of the Mr. Korvac Saga I pulled the BIN trigger on.

WMJIM122.jpg

Jim

I meant to post on Roys advice, but it was Korvac Saga who told me that if I didn't hit the BIN on it, he was going to the very next day :)

Jim

A slight exaggeration, but yes I was very interested!

Korvac, as far as I can tell, there's never been anything slow about your BIN trigger finger ;)

:baiting:

I meant to post on Roys advice, but it was Korvac Saga who told me that if I didn't hit the BIN on it, he was going to the very next day :)

Jim

Korvac, as far as I can tell, there's never been anything slow about your BIN trigger finger ;)

I concur :baiting:

I never miss a chance to see some sweet WMs :cloud9:

Jim

I concur :baiting:

lol:takeit::hi: