• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller offering me a Tec 27 and Batman 1.. What to do!?!?!?

96 posts in this topic

Brian---request that measurements be made and get the seller to send it to CGC on your dime---assuming you are committing to the book--regardless of the level of resto. The seller should have no problem with that since this is a large purchase---unless they are on a time crunch...and remember, at the end of the day, it's just some old, smelly paper with metal staples in it lol You have your health and family! :) (just keeping it real)

PT

PS...if you do it, I'm in line for ur Tec 29 :baiting:

Good luck!

I would also offer to broker a deal on the Batman #1 for a 10% commission. Tell him you know several people who are interested in it and then just sell it here on the boards. You should be able to raise a couple of grand to offset the Tec #27 purchase.

I have thought long and hard about your querry, and after hours of deliberation I have come the only fair and reasonable answer to this question of questions.

Buy both, and give them to Schommy! So I can sell them and buy a Marvel Comics #1 and a few other gems!

....Yup I think that is the right course of action.

Paul

I have thought long and hard about your querry, and after hours of deliberation I have come the only fair and reasonable answer to this question of questions.

Buy both, and give them to Schommy! So I can sell them and buy a Marvel Comics #1 and a few other gems!

Paul

lol lol

That’s very altruistic of you Paul!

Paul

lol lol

That’s very altruistic of you Paul!

:acclaim:

Paul

But if he has to sell off his collection to get them, he won't have any books :gossip:

Now maybe if you gave him a book as good faith, like a certain #1 of something....

Glad to hear you didn't get ripped off Dark Knight. I went through the same thing when a seemingly high grade copy of Phantom Lady #18 came up on ebay. The seller had 0 feedback, and I just couldn't trust spending over $1,000 on a mystery book.

Glad I didn't make a strong offer as both books were CGC'ed and came out to be trimmed and graded as having amateur restoration 3.0

With all that wear along the edge, it would be very easy to be fooled by that one.

Really makes you wonder even more about the PA copy from a couple months ago.

I was just reading this thread and it made for some great spectator reading. I'm glad you didn't spend the money and I'm glad we got to see the story unfold as this is one of those "adventures in collecting" that happens a couple of times in a collecting lifetime.

Kudos to gator. You really nailed that right away. Very, very impressive.

I was just reading this thread and it made for some great spectator reading. I'm glad you didn't spend the money and I'm glad we got to see the story unfold as this is one of those "adventures in collecting" that happens a couple of times in a collecting lifetime.

I love a happy ending almost as much as I love Tec 27's :)

It's good news that he didn't pay a slight R VG+ price for a slight R trimmed G/VG book , but I still feel horribly bad for DK that he is still without his Tec27 -- didn't the seller offer it to you once he got it back from CGC??? Are you going to pursue it via Heritage ?? Gator, now that your suspicion has been confirmed, does the trimming bring the price below 30K or does the theory of "No TEC27 below 30K " hold??

It's good news that he didn't pay a slight R VG+ price for a slight R trimmed G/VG book , but I still feel horribly bad for DK that he is still without his Tec27 -- didn't the seller offer it to you once he got it back from CGC??? Are you going to pursue it via Heritage ?? Gator, now that your suspicion has been confirmed, does the trimming bring the price below 30K or does the theory of "No TEC27 below 30K " hold??

Hey Fishbone.. To answer your question, a Tec 27 is my grail and will always be in my sight, but when reality sets in, I don't think I can afford it at the moment. The seller didn't want to sell the books to me after word got out that I was talking abou this book on the boards. I really don't know what the big deal was, but it was his decision. I was surprised to see that it was at Heritage. It hit my mind that the Tec 27 looked very familiar and as I saw the scans I saved from the seller, it matched perfectly together with the Bat 1. I will be tracking the Tec 27 on Heritage and see what kind of a price it will garner. I still doubt that it will be far from my price range. I'm selling my tec 31 in hopes that I can buy something else.. You know who you are ;).

I truly believe trimming definitely brings the value of the book down just like brittle pages and rusted staples. Those 3 factors are basically big No No's for me, but for a Tec 27, it may slide. I'm guessing the book will sell below $30k with all the premium books for sale on Heritage, C-Link, and CC. I feel that big collectors with deep pockets will be going for the Edgar CHurch Adventures, the early Tecs and Actions, and other SA and GA keys.

Glad to hear you didn't get ripped off Dark Knight. I went through the same thing when a seemingly high grade copy of Phantom Lady #18 came up on ebay. The seller had 0 feedback, and I just couldn't trust spending over $1,000 on a mystery book.

Very wise decision you made and I'm glad you didn't push through with it. Those are things that you call "too good to be true." I was offered recently a FF #48 CGC 9.8 unrestored for $3500, but the seller had no history of selling any comic books nor sold anything on ebay. His scans as well were very blurry, but the 9.8 label can still be made. I just wasn't sure if he actually had the book. He emailed me a few daysa go asking if I would want to see the book. Today I emailed him that I can find someone to take a look at it. He then emailed me back saying that the book was sold. It's either I got lucky again by not going through with the transaction or I made a bad decision and should've went for it.