• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

If you won any of these... well done. Whew.

---

Pep #2 CGC 3.0 -- $4320

Pep #3 CGC 2.5 -- $3360

Pep #5 CGC .5 -- $1320

Pep #9 CGC 3.0 -- $3000

Pep #10 CGC 3.0 -- $1200

Pep #11 CGC 1.5 -- $990

Pep #12 CGC 2.0 -- $1200

Pep #32 CGC 4.0 Q -- $4320

Pep #33 CGC 3.5 Q -- $1110

Pep #35 CGC 3.0 R -- $1800

Pep #40 CGC 5.0 -- $4080

Pep #44 CGC 4.0 -- $3465

and a couple more, but you get the idea.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, Point Five said:

Was anyone watching those early Pep Comics on Heritage? Dayum! I forgot that the live auctions were tonight, but it's just as well as the ones I was watching finished at many multiples of what I would have bid. doh! 

You and me both (I forgot). And I was the consignor! :bigsmile:  I swear if I had kept my eye on them, the would have gone for more...

Never fear, the remaining 49 books from the Pinnacle Hill collection are coming up in the Sunday auction starting on December 27th. For some reason there is a lone book (Pep #11) on Jan 17th. I have a list somewhere that I can provide. I'll post a few pictures of the upcoming books, sans CGC case, here in a day or two.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:02 PM, AlphaOmega said:

You and me both (I forgot). And I was the consignor! :bigsmile:  I swear if I had kept my eye on them, the would have gone for more...

Never fear, the remaining 49 books from the Pinnacle Hill collection are coming up in the Sunday auction starting on December 27th. For some reason there is a lone book (Pep #11) on Jan 17th. I have a list somewhere that I can provide. I'll post a few pictures of the upcoming books, sans CGC case, here in a day or two.

Congrats on the big sales! :applause:

Yep, I'm watching some of your 12/27 ones already. I didn't realize they were all from that collection but I see it now.

I did notice that a handful of them have Slightly Brittle or even Brittle page quality per CGC. Was that a surprise to you? And given that they're all from the same collection, any idea why the PQ seems to bob up and down from book to book? I guess they were collected from different sources?

On 12/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, Point Five said:

Congrats on the big sales! :applause:

Yep, I'm watching some of your 12/27 ones already. I didn't realize they were all from that collection but I see it now.

I did notice that a handful of them have Slightly Brittle or even Brittle page quality per CGC. Was that a surprise to you? And given that they're all from the same collection, any idea why the PQ seems to bob up and down from book to book? I guess they were collected from different sources?

Yeah, I noticed that.  If you go back several dozen posts, I provided a link to a YouTube video that I made with the LCS owner who found these books.  The owner bought most of these books second hand in the 60's and 70's. In talking to his nephew, he did say that some of these books were bought by his uncle off of the rack in the 40's but the vast majority were picked up at flea markets, early comic conventions as well as at the local comic shop.  Lon Allen and Ed Jaster had spoken with the owner before he passed away and also learned that a few sizeable portions came from original owners. For example, a large run of the Zip comics came from a retired police officer who sold them to the LCS in the 70's.

It's also worth noting that Ed & Lon sorted the collection and put the better books in the September signature auction. Approximately 80 books were sent to CGC in the Economy/Value tier which is why they missed the Sept. auction and are coming up now.  Ed & lon deemed many of these books "lower value" as they have a variety of issues from tape to minor restoration to lower page quality.

Just some God-awful MLJ books. Please, buy them all! :banana:

All good things...

214 comics later, the final MLJ books from the Pinnacle Hill collection are on the Heritage auction block this week.  It was quite the ride and hopefully several of you guys were able to snag some of these issues. Coming up this week are various issues of Blue Ribbon Comics, Black Hood, Shield-Wizard, Pep, Top Notch and Zip.  There is a lone Pep #11 in the January Signature auction, not sure why, but the final books are up for bid now.

Here are a few highlights of the upcoming 49 MLJ books:

IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.7b170ffeb3af451063784635047bf00d.JPG

Any MLJ winners tonight? Those Blue Ribbons were going crazy, even the ones with brittle pages, restored, qualified etc. I won the #16 strangely on the cheap  ??? :banana: but came in underbidder on a whole bunch of the pricier ones. 

On 1/2/2022 at 9:38 PM, Point Five said:

Any MLJ winners tonight? Those Blue Ribbons were going crazy, even the ones with brittle pages, restored, qualified etc. I won the #16 strangely on the cheap  ??? :banana: but came in underbidder on a whole bunch of the pricier ones. 

Congrats! 

Considered going after the #17, but ultimately passed. 

Great results for sure 👌 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:38 PM, Point Five said:

I was but a casual observer for those beauties.  I tried for the pair of DS's, without success.

On 1/2/2022 at 9:38 PM, Point Five said:

Congratulations.  I’m still licking my wounds after bidding $5k on a Laugh 32 … and losing. 

On 1/2/2022 at 6:38 PM, Point Five said:

Apparently, MLJ's super hero titles have become the new Fox SH books in terms of popularity.

I got into MLJs pretty late in my collecting journey so mine are all pretty low grade.

I really love Mr Justice in Blue Ribbon. I managed to put the run together other than his first and last appearance.

A lot of those beaters would have been good targets for me but not anymore.

Probably just going to be content with the ones I already have…:sorry:

On 1/3/2022 at 2:40 PM, Robot Man said:

I got into MLJs pretty late in my collecting journey so mine are all pretty low grade.

I really love Mr Justice in Blue Ribbon. I managed to put the run together other than his first and last appearance.

A lot of those beaters would have been good targets for me but not anymore.

Probably just going to be content with the ones I already have…:sorry:

Yeah, I really dig them too. But I'm even later to the party than you are! Strange that, at least currently, they seem harder to find than the other hero MLJs from the same era.