• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

No, I mean, why is it a pep 76 for auction when it's clearly a pep 74. And why has no one made mention of it in the auction?

Not to mention it's kind of embarrassing for CGC.

I looked at that book and didn't even notice that. That's disappointing. I would hope they either pull the auction or have the book reholdered for the buyer.

So this happened last night. It was at $280 and I was in need of an upgrade. Getting it for $290 ($356 with BP and shipping) was a pleasant surprise. I'll be eBaying my under copy.

BR5_zps1c43a2af.jpeg

On a related note, I was scanning around HA last night as auctions were ending to see if there was anything else I wanted and I never realized before how little information they really provide on a comic. If it's slabbed I suppose you have what you need, but for their raw stuff it's a cover and an approx. grade. No page quality, no reference to any work done (pro or amateur). I've bought many books from them over the years, but cannot recall if it's always been this bad.

Edited by GoldenPRGuy

So this happened last night. It was at $280 and I was in need of an upgrade. Getting it for $290 ($356 with BP and shipping) was a pleasant surprise. I'll be eBaying my under copy.

BR5_zps1c43a2af.jpeg

On a related note, I was scanning around HA last night as auctions were ending to see if there was anything else I wanted and I never realized before how little information they really provide on a comic. If it's slabbed I suppose you have what you need, but for their raw stuff it's a cover and an approx. grade. No page quality, no reference to any work done (pro or amateur). I've bought many books from them over the years, but cannot recall if it's always been this bad.

Is Corporal Collins really tall or is he firing really small machine guns? hm

HA can be a little brief with the descriptions. They do occasionally provide details on raw books -- noting a tear or water damage. They seem to let the (large) scans tell the story on the slabs.

Gotta love this … here is the issue with starting an auction at .99 cents on eBay. There are actually people out there who bid NINETY-NINE CENTS!

While I haven't sold more than a handful of comics in my life, I have purchased thousands, and am well versed in the ways of the Bay. I know that a token first bid and then a bunch of watchers till the end is common -- and I'm cool with that. One can only hope that, when the book is worth it, it reaches an acceptable price. But it does make me laugh to see that a second bid has been placed revealing the commitment of bidder #1.

Blue Ribbon #5

Gotta love this … here is the issue with starting an auction at .99 cents on eBay. There are actually people out there who bid NINETY-NINE CENTS!

While I haven't sold more than a handful of comics in my life, I have purchased thousands, and am well versed in the ways of the Bay. I know that a token first bid and then a bunch of watchers till the end is common -- and I'm cool with that. One can only hope that, when the book is worth it, it reaches an acceptable price. But it does make me laugh to see that a second bid has been placed revealing the commitment of bidder #1.

Blue Ribbon #5

I frequently place a minimal bid just to generate the eBay e-mail reminder the day the auction closes. Sometimes I end up sniping, sometimes not.

I got a few of my books back from CGC today, finally!

Here are my Archies from the batch:

Archie #49 CGC 7.0 OW

**Out of the 7 I sent in, this was 1 of 2 that I felt the book was a little undergraded. A really sharp copy. My wife bought this for me as gift raw and I think this is the first time someone bought me a comic book as a gift that I was genuinely impressed by.

archie4970_zpsb0403b96.jpg

This is an upgrade for me. This came from the raw collection that just recently came out on the boards a few months back. A near complete run of Top-Notch and I was lucky enough to snag a few books that I really needed/wanted. This is one of my favorite Suzie covers - I love the want ads on all of the Newspapers.

topnotch4465_zpsebe68084.jpg

Edited by Comixcroz

I'd been looking for a decent copy for years so I was giddy with excitement when I found out this was available. I'm still looking for a high grade copy but I can be patient and enjoy this one for now. I got a 47 as well but unfortunately it's pretty beat. It was still worth buying but not worth grading.

laughcomix4850_zps0124323a.jpg

I've had this book for a while but decided to send it in because of its grade. You don't see these very often in the NM or better range. The 9.6 grade makes this the single highest graded copy now.

bettyandme596_zpsa0b5fe0b.jpg

I just adore this cover, one of the under appreciated Archie "GGA" covers in my opinion. I mean - Archie dressed as Santa with Betty and Veronica on his lap. Very difficult to find in high grade (as far as I can tell). This is the best on the CGC census so far. I felt CGC was a little tough on the pq. I thought this book would get White pages all day long.

archiegiantseries1592_zps3927d161.jpg

Edited by Comixcroz

This is an upgrade for me. This came from the raw collection that just recently came out on the boards a few months back. A near complete run of Top-Notch and I was lucky enough to snag a few books that I really needed/wanted. This is one of my favorite Suzie covers - I love the want ads on all of the Newspapers.

topnotch4465_zpsebe68084.jpg

Incredible cover J! Congrats on the upgrade!

That's a pretty tough issue to find in decent shape!

Yeah unfortunately decent would be a stretch for this copy lol Cover is pretty roughed up, split, and taped back together but once removed the pages read ok...Spine is more fragile than I would like at the staples and book is pretty rolled but hey it is copy for now right :) Neat splash on this one...

13758629553_a6bac5f279_c.jpg

Picked up this pretty recently...

13757239895_6e65eecb1c_c.jpg[

IMHO the Zip Comics covers can give the Timelys a run for their money any day, for sheer schlock value, bondage, torture, propaganda, patriotism, and suggested violence.