• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

This thread has been slowly sinking into the depths of the forum … but I'm pretty sure we're all still buying MLJs. How about some scans of recent acquisitions? I'll start …

Picked this up last Thursday on eBay for $125. Pages are cream with some light tanning on the edges, back cover has a weird tear at the bottom and some stain on the edge, but the cover is attached and the book presents really well. I'm pleased with the purchase!

SW6a_zpscfb0bf75.jpg

SW6b_zps823fbaea.jpg

If this thread needs a little more [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font] maybe this'll help. Not all recent, mind you, but here's my part of MLJ saga thus far. :whee:

Acquired last summer in San Diego, here's a real nice copy of [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font] #1 courtesy of my buddy Sir Richard of Bedrock (thank you, sir) ...

00be0d99-2e5f-42dd-b33e-abed95209381_zpse0f44ca9.jpg

My MLJ collection is pretty much all pre-[font:Comic Sans MS]Archie[/font]. Here are the rest of my [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font]s (pulled together over the past four or five years)...

c4914ae3-5a8e-4507-8f77-2ddbde4c83ed_zps10f4397f.jpg

Pep8-A_zps7bc1a67c.jpg

5dd38355-99e6-4fb5-a860-f5a9767a93b1_zps1ed40395.jpg

f167fdb4-48d8-4863-845e-f82abc54cade_zps6b6cd581.jpg

To top things off, a couple of sweet [font:Century Gothic]Church[/font] copies: [font:Comic Sans MS]SHIELD-WIZARD[/font] #7 (uncredited Kirby cover) & Zip1-4.jpg #27 (first Spidey, The Web)...

62674faa-89f4-47b8-8588-8393d131b30e_zps625ffad4.jpg

91c2825d-8fd0-435c-9239-437d90ad262c_zps935e193d.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Whew! >>> Budduh-buddah-buddah, That's All Folks![/font] :insane:

Well … I'm not sure I have a response to that other than excuse me while I go get a paper towel to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Amazing books! :applause:

All incredible, but that Pep 1 takes the cake!

This actually reminds me I need to get my Pep 7 and 10 slabbed. They're both awesome looking copies and I am dying to know what they'd grade.

What's with the added "collection stickers" on the slab?

This thread has been slowly sinking into the depths of the forum … but I'm pretty sure we're all still buying MLJs. How about some scans of recent acquisitions? I'll start …

Picked this up last Thursday on eBay for $125. Pages are cream with some light tanning on the edges, back cover has a weird tear at the bottom and some stain on the edge, but the cover is attached and the book presents really well. I'm pleased with the purchase!

SW6a_zpscfb0bf75.jpg

SW6b_zps823fbaea.jpg

Very nice!

SW6a_zpscfb0bf75.jpg

SW6b_zps823fbaea.jpg

That's funny. I just bought a copy of SW 6 on ebay also. Your copy is a tad nicer than mine lol I mostly wanted it for the Archie ad.

Scan-131220-0050_zpsa337a876.jpg

Scan-131220-0051_zpseb57a4c3.jpg

SW6a_zpscfb0bf75.jpg

SW6b_zps823fbaea.jpg

If this thread needs a little more [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font] maybe this'll help. Not all recent, mind you, but here's my part of MLJ saga thus far. :whee:

Acquired last summer in San Diego, here's a real nice copy of [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font] #1 courtesy of my buddy Sir Richard of Bedrock (thank you, sir) ...

00be0d99-2e5f-42dd-b33e-abed95209381_zpse0f44ca9.jpg

My MLJ collection is pretty much all pre-[font:Comic Sans MS]Archie[/font]. Here are the rest of my [font:Comic Sans MS]PEP[/font]s (pulled together over the past four or five years)...

c4914ae3-5a8e-4507-8f77-2ddbde4c83ed_zps10f4397f.jpg

Pep8-A_zps7bc1a67c.jpg

5dd38355-99e6-4fb5-a860-f5a9767a93b1_zps1ed40395.jpg

f167fdb4-48d8-4863-845e-f82abc54cade_zps6b6cd581.jpg

To top things off, a couple of sweet [font:Century Gothic]Church[/font] copies: [font:Comic Sans MS]SHIELD-WIZARD[/font] #7 (uncredited Kirby cover) & Zip1-4.jpg #27 (first Spidey, The Web)...

62674faa-89f4-47b8-8588-8393d131b30e_zps625ffad4.jpg

91c2825d-8fd0-435c-9239-437d90ad262c_zps935e193d.jpg

[font:Comic Sans MS]Whew! >>> Budduh-buddah-buddah, That's All Folks![/font] :insane:

Such beautiful pre Archie books!

Though I can't imagine having an Archieless MLJ collection. lol I never even thought that was possible! (I know it is, MLJ has a wide variety of non Archie titles.) ;)

Though I can't imagine having an Archieless MLJ collection. lol I never even thought that was possible! (I know it is, MLJ has a wide variety of non Archie titles.) ;)

Thanks, Lauren!

BTW, have you ever noticed that Archie and The Shield have exactly the same hair color? > hm

Have you ever wondered ...?! > ;)

Thanks, Lauren!

BTW, have you ever noticed that Archie and The Shield have exactly the same hair color? > hm

Maybe the Shield moonlights as America's typical teenager!

I just read through all 63 pages of this delightful thread and I gotta say i am blown away :applause: To be 100% honest I have never really looked too much into these MLJ books until about a few months ago...These books got some real classic Covers...just curious as to how the stories are? Especially the Hangman and Shield ones...also if anyone has a PEP #28 I didnt see one the entire thread...somebody post one already lol I want to see em!!

I just read through all 63 pages of this delightful thread and I gotta say i am blown away :applause: To be 100% honest I have never really looked too much into these MLJ books until about a few months ago...These books got some real classic Covers...just curious as to how the stories are? Especially the Hangman and Shield ones.

The stories vary, but are often quite good. There's some really good art by Montana, Lucey, Novick and, most of all, Fujitani :cloud9:

Thanks, Lauren!

It's far more likely that the Shield paid a visit to a young and desperate Mrs. Andrews about 9 months before little Archie squeezed out.

Thanks, Lauren!

It's far more likely that the Shield paid a visit to a young and desperate Mrs. Andrews about 9 months before little Archie squeezed out.

Eggs ackly! :devil:

I just read through all 63 pages of this delightful thread and I gotta say i am blown away :applause: To be 100% honest I have never really looked too much into these MLJ books until about a few months ago...These books got some real classic Covers...just curious as to how the stories are? Especially the Hangman and Shield ones.

The stories vary, but are often quite good. There's some really good art by Montana, Lucey, Novick and, most of all, Fujitani :cloud9:

thanks man that's awesome I will put some of these on my outrageously long TO BE READ list!!!! sweet 28 BTW...you my good sir have quite an impressive collection...BE PROUD :applause: thanks for sharing (thumbs u

Well Merry Christmas to me! At long last my Jackpot 4 has returned nearly a year after it left. Big thanks to Kenny and Matt for adding the missing edge to the back cover and taking it from a 3.5 S to a 7.0 M.

Here's the final graded product.

Here's the front … as beautiful as it always was.

J4a_zps7d6463be.jpeg

Here is the back with that beautiful new restored edge.

J4b_zps8c554d70.jpeg

Here is the label for anyone interested (also a closer look at the top of the book and it's rich colors)

J4c_zpsba980417.jpeg

And finally, here is the best part of the cover from the only angle that would allow me to use a flash and represent the actual colors of the book.

J4d_zpsc831901c.jpeg

Enjoy … and Happy Holidays to all!

P.S. There is a hay penny in it for anyone who can tell me how the F@$% to photograph or scan a slab. If you shoot no flash in the light it's washed out and on an angle so as not to create shadows with hands, camera and noggin; if you shoot flash you either get a flash on the case or have to come at it from some stupid angle; if you scan it, and I have a very nice scanner, you still get reflection on the case and the label is always blurred due to the angle of the Barex that contains it. Advice, that can be applied by the layman without having to construct a light box, is beyond welcome!

Well Merry Christmas to me! At long last my Jackpot 4 has returned nearly a year after it left. Big thanks to Kenny and Matt for adding the missing edge to the back cover and taking it from a 3.5 S to a 7.0 M.

Here's the final graded product.

Here's the front … as beautiful as it always was.

J4a_zps7d6463be.jpeg

Here is the back with that beautiful new restored edge.

J4b_zps8c554d70.jpeg

Here is the label for anyone interested (also a closer look at the top of the book and it's rich colors)

J4c_zpsba980417.jpeg

And finally, here is the best part of the cover from the only angle that would allow me to use a flash and represent the actual colors of the book.

J4d_zpsc831901c.jpeg

Enjoy … and Happy Holidays to all!

P.S. There is a hay penny in it for anyone who can tell me how the F@$% to photograph or scan a slab. If you shoot no flash in the light it's washed out and on an angle so as not to create shadows with hands, camera and noggin; if you shoot flash you either get a flash on the case or have to come at it from some stupid angle; if you scan it, and I have a very nice scanner, you still get reflection on the case and the label is always blurred due to the angle of the Barex that contains it. Advice, that can be applied by the layman without having to construct a light box, is beyond welcome!

:golfclap: Very nice! Congrats