• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

Damn dude, you just increased my reading list by 13 in one Conan Comics post :cry:

lol

The flagellation theme actually crops up in a number of REH's works. Among his papers was a list of books on the subject along with prices:

"A History of the Rod" by Cooper; illustrated; published in London: $7.50

"The Merry Order of St. Bridget" by Margaret Anson; illustrated, privately printed: $5.00

"Curiosa of Flagellants & History of Flagellation"; bound in one volume; illustrated; privately printed: $3.00

"Painful Pleasures" translated by W.J. Meusal; illustrated; privately printed: $5.00

"Nell in Bridewell" by W. Reinhard; (translation) illustrated; published in Paris by the Society of British Bibliophiles: $5.00

"The Misfortunes of Colette"; illustrated; privately printed: $3.00

"The Strap Returns"; illustrated; The Gargoyle Press: $2.00

"Tracts of Flagellation" by George Colman; paper bound; published in England. Henry Thomas Buckle: $6.00

"The Rodiad" by George Colman; paper bound; published in England: $1.50

"Tender Bottoms" by Guenoles; illustrated; published by American Ethnological Press, Inc.: $3.00

"Sadism and Masochism" by Eulenburg; illustrated; published by The New Era Press: $3.45

"Presented in Leather" by Claire Willows; illustrated; privately printed: $5.00

"Padlocks and Girdles of Chastity"; privately printed; illustrated: $1.50

TOTAL : $50.95

We know he ordered at least two of these and possibly three. He discusses the topic of flagellation with HPL in their correspondence and it seems he understood very well that sex sells and that throwing in a scene with a naked chick getting whipped by another naked chick was a sure-fire way to get that $50 cover bonus.

I noticed that there are quite a few nice REH Conan compilations out there. I was over at Smith Family Bookstore and saw some Conan books that had about 10 -12 stories in em. First one I pulled down had my fav story...... Beyond the Black River. Such a great tale .... (worship)

After years of very little REH available, we are now in the midst of a Howard boom much like the 70's. The best and most authoritative editions currently are the Del Rey volumes, three of which contain all of the Conan stories. (thumbs u

And I agree, BtBR is one of REH's best, no doubt.

Edited by Theagenes

Quick question: I'm thinking about reading some REH for my beach reading this summer (once my coursework's all finished). I'm thinking of going the Kindle route though. Does this one look good to you guys?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KSR2H2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02YMR478Y0MH83536HYM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Quick question: I'm thinking about reading some REH for my beach reading this summer (once my coursework's all finished). I'm thinking of going the Kindle route though. Does this one look good to you guys?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KSR2H2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02YMR478Y0MH83536HYM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

As long as the stories are original REH, then :headbang:

Scan makes the image appear faded -- but it isn't.

Image too large for my scanner. Gallery business days & hours were cut off at the bottom.

img039-2.jpg

So for you Conan and REH fans that don't visit the Gold section, I spent the last week taking a road trip to Cross Plains, TX for Robert E. Howard Days 2011. I posted a blog style account of my trip in BZ's thread for those who are interested:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=90179&Number=4856072#Post4856072

That compilation is weird... It is only $3! It must have somehow fallen into the public domain. I also saw a copy of one of the original Gnome press Books, Conan the Conqueror: The Hour of the Dragon for $1.09! I am wondering how they can sell these so cheaply! It has to be public domain stuff.

The books are more costly, but I would highly suggest the current Del Rey series. Over the years many editors have taken their hands to Howard's yarns, some with censorship & others with almost disastrous effect.

The Del Rey series adheres to the current growing movement of a return to the pure essence of Howard's stories as they were originally published in Weird Tales and other magazines. With editing spearheaded by Rusty Burke, a noted Howard Scholar, the stories have been re-edited and returned to a state of closer to how they were when Howard originally wrote them (due to research gathered from original manuscripts). It is a retro movement that in many aficionados eyes, comes closer to the true essence of Howard than the earlier Grant or Lancer editions. This work is being done with the knowledge that some of these folks have been collecting on Howard for the past 30 years or so.

They sure have been selling a lot of these paperback editions and im sure more might be sold after the movie drops, so you might be better off getting a used hard copy on ebay.

I think it is funny that the Kindle edition of these books costs MORE that a paperback copy on amazon.com doh!

So, in closing, I think the ebook for $3 would be worth it for starters, But you must get your hands on the Del Reys to get the best experience :preach:

That compilation is weird... It is only $3! It must have somehow fallen into the public domain. I also saw a copy of one of the original Gnome press Books, Conan the Conqueror: The Hour of the Dragon for $1.09! I am wondering how they can sell these so cheaply! It has to be public domain stuff.

The books are more costly, but I would highly suggest the current Del Rey series. Over the years many editors have taken their hands to Howard's yarns, some with censorship & others with almost disastrous effect.

The Del Rey series adheres to the current growing movement of a return to the pure essence of Howard's stories as they were originally published in Weird Tales and other magazines. With editing spearheaded by Rusty Burke, a noted Howard Scholar, the stories have been re-edited and returned to a state of closer to how they were when Howard originally wrote them (due to research gathered from original manuscripts). It is a retro movement that in many aficionados eyes, comes closer to the true essence of Howard than the earlier Grant or Lancer editions. This work is being done with the knowledge that some of these folks have been collecting on Howard for the past 30 years or so.

They sure have been selling a lot of these paperback editions and im sure more might be sold after the movie drops, so you might be better off getting a used hard copy on ebay.

I think it is funny that the Kindle edition of these books costs MORE that a paperback copy on amazon.com doh!

So, in closing, I think the ebook for $3 would be worth it for starters, But you must get your hands on the Del Reys to get the best experience :preach:

Forrest, let me second Neil on this. The Del Rey versions, while a little more expensive will be a much better reading experience. These cheap versions are bootleg OCR'd versions of the older edited versions, probably the de Camp edited Lancers. The Del Reys also have excellent essays by Rusty as well as Patrice Louinet.

However for a cheap quickie Kindle experience, I think there is $1.99 Howard e-collection with 99 stories. I do have that since it has so many non-Conan stories. Basically it's a ripoff of the REH stories from Project Gutenberg Australia, but easier to read on a phone with a Kindle app.

Lancers are sweet for the collection.

The Del Reys are sweet for reading. I went through them about 4 years ago.

Plus the Lancers have Frazetta covers :cloud9:

A Pencil page from Cary Nord's CONAN run with Dark Horse :golfclap:

I love Nord's work and yearn to own a page. :cloud9: Any word on whether or not he will be releasing more than just the one book?

I get that question about once a week. And once a week Cary tells me that is th eonly book he plans on selling right now. "Right Now" being the operative words. If/When he changes his mind, I won't keep it a secret :foryou:

A Pencil page from Cary Nord's CONAN run with Dark Horse :golfclap:

I love Nord's work and yearn to own a page. :cloud9: Any word on whether or not he will be releasing more than just the one book?

I get that question about once a week. And once a week Cary tells me that is th eonly book he plans on selling right now. "Right Now" being the operative words. If/When he changes his mind, I won't keep it a secret :foryou:

That's a really nice page. :applause:

There were several pages that I was sorely tempted on, but I decided to hold out for when he decides to sell one of the actual REH adaptations. He really is one of the best Conan artists to come along in while and that's some pretty elite company.