• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

A very short notice but notable pulp auction went up in a hurry this week at Heritage.  (Am I allowed to link stuff and mention sites here?)

There's a handful of issues in here I've never even seen and many, many beautiful covers and copies
2023 September 21 - 22 Pulp Spectacular Showcase Auction Featuring Pulps From The Collection of Dr. Dave Anderson

I point it out because I won't be bidding, especially if it is anything like the feeding frenzy that happened with the "spicy" Jack and Joanie Kump Collection earlier this year.

I'm afraid the news that CGC will be grading pulps has flooded the market with speculation and will do horrible things for prices - not to mention the locking of books in slabs.

I'd never seen an auction go up like this so fast and with such hurried fanfare, but then again that type of auction house tends to be out of my league.

Edited by Darwination

On 9/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Darwination said:

I'm afraid the news that CGC will be grading pulps has flooded the market with speculation and will do horrible things for prices - not to mention the locking of books in slabs.

I agree: it's already affected the hobby in negative ways. Not every collecting field needs to be tainted by this hyper-commodification. :preach:

On 9/10/2023 at 8:32 AM, Darwination said:

A very short notice but notable pulp auction went up in a hurry this week at Heritage.  (Am I allowed to link stuff and mention sites here?)

There's a handful of issues in here I've never even seen and many, many beautiful covers and copies
2023 September 21 - 22 Pulp Spectacular Showcase Auction Featuring Pulps From The Collection of Dr. Dave Anderson

I point it out because I won't be bidding, especially if it is anything like the feeding frenzy that happened with the "spicy" Jack and Joanie Kump Collection earlier this year.

I'd never seen an auction go up like this so fast and with such hurried fanfare, but then again that type of auction house tends to be out of my league.

Are the pulps in this current auction from the “Dentist”? 

On 9/14/2023 at 9:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Are the pulps in this current auction from the “Dentist”? 

Dr. Dave Anderson  

the sizzle reel, "action bound to be hot and heavy," so funny

https://comics.ha.com/c/auction-home.zx?saleNo=47160&ctrack=1289800&type=article6-1-www-icmag-sept-tem090523#sdCT6FpbESk

the article
https://intelligentcollector.com/who-knows-what-spicy-thrills-lurk-in-our-hearts-the-dentist-does/?ctrack=1289800&type=article1-1-www-icmag-sept-tem090523

On 9/14/2023 at 8:54 AM, Darwination said:

One and the same it appears. It also appears that he is divesting himself while the iron is hot. One wonders, will his comic collection be coming up?  hm
I guess as they say only “The Shadow knows”…

Edited by Robot Man

On 9/14/2023 at 11:18 AM, Robot Man said:

One and the same it appears. It also appears that he is divesting himself while the iron is hot. One wonders, will his comic collection be coming up?  hm

I'm happy anytime to see some books I haven't seen before but have seen enough at HA this year to know there will be zero deals in my price range.

These are a couple of my faves that are up (though they aren't super scarce or anything):

SpicyAdventureStories1942-08coverWard.thumb.jpg.d31300afa7175f85875c1ecc053adb07.jpgSpicyAdventureStories1938-11coverWardWANT.thumb.jpg.2c718897c9391e6c7f58cb56f25fb047.jpg

2 more recent pickups also from Rocky Mountain Book and paper show :

SuperSS-May1940.thumb.jpeg.d797bc1cc38bcf95b2b25ef3cbb422f6.jpegFantasticAdv-Feb1946.thumb.jpeg.d615f0bd107b4ecc14cfdad45ca17bdb.jpeg

----------------------  ---------------------- Super Science Stories #2 May 1940  ----------------------  ---------------------- ----------------------  ---------------------- Fantastic Adventures Feb 1946 ----------------------  ----------------------

On 9/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, Robot Man said:

Although this stuff is good, this is not Dave Anderson's best pulp mags.

Dave usually divest himself of some stuff if he's buying other things.

His comic collection is not coming up.

Edited by detective35

The electric skeletons are great, though my favorite of the three I put up is the bottom cover, imo a Finlay masterpiece.

My favorite of the four you posted is hands down the Paul Stahr cover on the Murder Mystery Monthly edition of The Metal Monster. I love her eyes and shimmering hair and the design. 

I can't find an artist ID for the Avon The Ship of Ishtar on the bottom which surprises me because the style seems familiar. Funny seeing it pointed to as BDSM.  My first thought was, gee, it's good to see the dude getting menaced for once instead of all the poor terrified girls on the pulp covers (:

Edited by Darwination