• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,497 posts in this topic

happy new year everyone!

the holiday break allowed me some time to find a few more images.

new york is very rich in newsstand imagery.

lower east side of manhattan may 15 1948. israeli flag is next to us flag. wacky duck 1 in the box.

manhattan5-14-48.jpgwackyduck1.jpg

a kid reading a comic on madison ave in 1933 or 1934. is that a baseball mitt under him? looks like a comics rack on the door.

madisonav1933-34.jpg

these next few pics are from the ny daily news.

new york lawyer & politician newbold morris reading paper in soda fountain in feb 3 1952. i see bugs bunny four color 376 & dagwood 16 on the left.

newboldmorris2-3-52.jpgfc376.jpgdagwood16.jpg

at lexington & 51st, a blind newsdealer is showing his license on aug 26 1946. i can see A-1 #6, camera #9, coo coo 29, jo-jo #2, young king cole v2#2 & comedy #34 (introduction of margie).

i hope someone can identify the other comics.

lexington51stny8-26-46.jpg

a-16.jpgcamera9.jpgcoocoo29.jpgjo-jo2.jpgykc2-2.jpgcomedy34.jpg

i think this is a fascinating june 6 1944 pic of servicemen reading about the d-day invasion on wall street & broadway. the only issue of sure shot comics #1 is at the lower right.

wallst6-6-44.jpgsureshot1.jpg

happy new year everyone!

the holiday break allowed me some time to find a few more images.

new york is very rich in newsstand imagery.

lower east side of manhattan may 15 1948. israeli flag is next to us flag. wacky duck 1 in the box.

manhattan5-14-48.jpgwackyduck1.jpgMDA4.jpg

Mr District Attorney #4 to the right.

first, let me apologize for showing this picture again, but i wanted some of you to see the details from a large hi-res scan. this photo was taken at the southwestern corner of 32nd st & 3rd ave of manhattan on november 19, 1935 by berenice abbott. there is one comic partially hidden amongst all those magazines, hence the large hi-res scan. can you spot it?

newsstand32nd3rd11-19-35.jpg

a closer look at this 1936 new york photo reveals king comics #8 and the 10/24/36 issue of argosy magazine.

40snewsstand.jpgking8.jpgth_argosy_19361024.jpg

in grand central station new york, the headlines from 11-30-50 scream "considering of a-bomb!' refers to president truman's statement that he will consider the use of the atomic bomb if necessary. what comics was on the stand that day? at the bottom is little audrey #16 and pancho villa. what's next to little audrey?

grandctrlstationny11-30-50.jpglittleaudrey16.jpgpanchovilla.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's Action #21

It likely is, but I can't figure out why Supes isn't visible on the cover. Also the large red circle on the cover of #21 appears smaller on the comic in the pic.

It really is hard to tell, although through process of elimination I don't see any other issue it could be other than #21. I think Mike is correct that glare on the original photo and the boy's hand have obscured some of the cover features.

Action-Comics-21-photo.jpg

in grand central station new york, the headlines from 11-30-50 scream "considering of a-bomb!' refers to president truman's statement that he will consider the use of the atomic bomb if necessary. what comics was on the stand that day? at the bottom is little audrey #16 and pancho villa. what's next to little audrey?

grandctrlstationny11-30-50.jpglittleaudrey16.jpgpanchovilla.jpg

I believe that's Romantic Marriage # 5 -

108554.jpg.bf4a34df769df3ef7dd5e46a1c5d82b9.jpg

how about a visit to the city of brotherly love, philadelphia?

it's interesting to see the variety and numerous crime, horror and romance titles available on the stands in this period and a few of these genres would almost disappear a few years later after adoption of the comics code.

these pictures are from the site phillyhistory.org

north broad & west lehigh on 2/18/53

some books i see are: haunt of fear, combat casey, boy loves girl, combat kelly, crime does not pay, first love 27, journey into mystery, pogo, junior, hopalong cassidy, jungle, t-man, red ryder and tarzan 42?

philly2-18-53.jpg

17th & market 7/25/52

some comics: boy 81, atom age combat 2, weird thrillers 4, weird horrors 1, crime does not pay, love confessions 23, donald duck four color 408, lone ranger 51, nevada four color 412, cisco kid 10, complete love and looney tunes 129?

special thanks goes to scrooge for his help in identifying many of the books. (thumbs u

philly7-25-52.jpg

11th & market 7/25/52

i can only identify a millie and police comic

phil11thmarket.jpg

these next few pictures contain comics but they are hard to identify.

south 15th 7/25/52

comics on the farther stand

s15th7-25-52.jpg

16th & market 7/25/52

16thmarket7-25-52.jpg

unknown location 12/17/53

phila12-17-53.jpg

this pic is for the early golden age fans and is also from philadelphia 9/8/40.

notice all those clothespins!

phila9-8-40.jpg

magic15.jpgsuperman7.jpgrexdexter1.jpgwonderworld18.jpgmysterymen15.jpgchamp11.jpg

top row (l-r): magic comics 15, superman 7, rex dexter 1, wonderworld 18, mystery men 15, champ 11

i'm not sure what is to left of magic 15.

this pic is for the early golden age fans and is also from philadelphia 9/8/40.

notice all those clothespins!

phila9-8-40.jpg

magic15.jpgsuperman7.jpgrexdexter1.jpgwonderworld18.jpgmysterymen15.jpgchamp11.jpg

top row (l-r): magic comics 15, superman 7, rex dexter 1, wonderworld 18, mystery men 15, champ 11

i'm not sure what is to left of magic 15.

Very cool photos, thank for sharing!

To the left of Magic Comics #15 is another copy of the "Football" magazine that is to the right of the man's head. (Another copy of which is visible in the foreground at the lower right of the photo.)

how about a visit to the city of brotherly love, philadelphia?

it's interesting to see the variety and numerous crime, horror and romance titles available on the stands in this period and a few of these genres would almost disappear a few years later after adoption of the comics code.

these pictures are from the site phillyhistory.org

north broad & west lehigh on 2/18/53

some books i see are: haunt of fear, combat casey, boy loves girl, combat kelly, crime does not pay, first love 27, journey into mystery, pogo, junior, hopalong cassidy, jungle, t-man, red ryder and tarzan 42?

philly2-18-53.jpg

As a native Philadelphian, it's especially nice for me to see these. Thanks for posting!

The 1st photo at the corner of N. Broad and W. Lehigh is where the old Baker Bowl used to be. It was home to the Phillies from 1887 to 1938. Babe Ruth played his last game there in 1935. The stadium was razed in 1950, 3 years before this photo was taken.

how comic-crazy are you?

have you ever found yourself, like in this picture, where you were so focused on a comic that you weren't paying attention to or didn't care about (ahem) what your significant other was doing? this was taken at rockaway beach new york in july 1946. that ibis 4 must really be fascinating! :D

rockawaybeachny7-46.jpgibis4.jpg

here is an interesting article about comic obsession from aug 16, 1951 in the eugene register-guard.

eugeneregister-guard8-16-51.jpg

Edited by jpepx78

how comic-crazy are you?

have you ever found yourself, like in this picture, where you were so focused on a comic that you weren't paying attention to or didn't care about (ahem) what your significant other was doing? this was taken at rockaway beach new york in july 1946. that ibis 4 must really be fascinating! :D

rockawaybeachny7-46.jpgibis4.jpg

here is an interesting article about comic obsession from aug 16, 1951 in the eugene register-guard.

eugeneregister-guard8-16-51.jpg

I need an Ibis #4