• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What trade are you reading right now

1,271 posts in this topic

Next on the block: Scalped. I read the first few issues online and enjoyed them. I won a full run on eBay last night and can't wait to sit down and read 1 through 17. :D

Scalped, IMO, is one of the best books on the market. Read #18 this weekend and it blew me away. I'm talking award-winning style. If this book goes away, I'm going to be really bummed.

Pat

So I spent the weekend reading Scalped from 1 through 17. I have 19 and need to get 18 somewhere.

Reading the series is hand (instead of online) made me appreciate Guera's work even more. The fluidity of the blacks is simply awesome and his eye for panel composition creates tension in each page. I am glad we finally get to see his work in the US. In many ways, his work reminded me of William Vance on XIII. The intricate plot(s) of Aaron are to die for. Each new arc had been adding a layer of "complexity" to the story that keeps the reader coming back and wonder where this will all lead and what the proportion of any resolutions will be. What's even more of a feat is that each revelation feel natural. Aaron has planned all these events and relationships well in advance and his pacing at peeling the covers off new dark secrets in and around the reservations is excellent. I found the Dead Mothers arc to be the best yet and I think issue # 13 (or 14?) was my favorite to date.

I also took a break in the middle to read New York 4 by Wood and Kelly released by Minx. It was allright. Nothing earth-shattering but a nice package at the discount price I got it at from DCBS. I wouldn't pay full cover for this.

When my lady and I went to see The Dark Knight, she commented that The Watchmen trailer seemed "Fantastic"?! :o

Granted, she appreciates the comics genre and tolerates my collecting habits, but I certainly did not expect that reaction from her. ;)

As such, and as she's a voracious reader, I passed my Watchmen HC off on her to study. (thumbs u

I'm hopeful that she'll give it rave reviews! :wishluck:

Just started and finished Tardi's 120 Rue de la Gare, a Nestor Burma mystery. For those unfamiliar, Tardi adapted several of the original Burma novels by Leo Malet into comics. Burma is a P.I. in the line of Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe whose adventures take place in France. The story from 120 Rue de la Garde takes place circa 1940 - 1941 in occupied France and was written originally in 1942 I believe. Tardi adapted it to comic format in the 1980's.

It's a great book for anyone that loves detective stories, not quite à la Criminal by Brubaker since this is more of a Sandman Mystery Theatre type of adventure, Burma is involved with most of the events while the story enfolds. In many ways, it reminded me a The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon. At 190 pages, the story has time to unfold. The novel and -script are great a leaving sudden clues in the story but not so overt that I knew for sure who did it but the picture is filled in progressively during the reading. In all a very enjoyable read (even though the story temporarily drags at mid-point) that people ought to try and track down. No worries, the book is translated into English and was put out by IBooks in 2003. I read my public library's copy. If you care to ILL it, it's worth the wait. (thumbs u

Just finished reading the Chronicles of Conan vol. 5 (reprinting Conan 27 - 34). It's always fun to jump back into John Buscema's work. Man, he could do action like nobody else. It's also a great period for Roy Thomas who was able to curtail his tendency to be over-verbose with captions and dialog. While my favorite story was probably The Hand of Nergal (# 30), my favorite issue art-wise was clearly # 28: Moon of Zimbabwei. I'll always have a sweet spot for Conan as, growing up, it was one of the series I looked forward the most every month. (thumbs u

Word of warning: This trade is riddled with typos and it irritated me constantly throughout. I don't know if Dark Horse is responsible or if the mistakes were there in the Marvel run but they were hard to bear :pullhair:

I'll always have a sweet spot for Conan as, growing up, it was one of the series I looked forward the most every month. (thumbs u

Plus, you're surrounded by sullen northlanders now so it must feel very comfortable. (thumbs u

hm They do go for hunting and fishing in a big way around here ;)

:hi:

Ever read any Tardi?

I read Demo by Wood and Cloonan published by AIT Planetar this morning. The trade / book is a compilation of 12 separate short stories about youth (some with nascent supernatural abilities) who have to make or made life changing decisions. As another reviewer put it, it's a modern X-Men secret files type of book. As is likely to happen, not all stories resonated with this reader and I suspect it has to do with one's life experiences and what story comes closer to one's heart (so I don't doubt anyone would find different stories more or less interesting). In the end, few were great, some were good and others quite disappointing (but could have been better if they had been allowed more time / space to develop).

It was a quick read and I would rate it only a 2½ out of 5.

I read Demo by Wood and Cloonan published by AIT Planetar this morning. The trade / book is a compilation of 12 separate short stories about youth (some with nascent supernatural abilities) who have to make or made life changing decisions. As another reviewer put it, it's a modern X-Men secret files type of book. As is likely to happen, not all stories resonated with this reader and I suspect it has to do with one's life experiences and what story comes closer to one's heart (so I don't doubt anyone would find different stories more or less interesting). In the end, few were great, some were good and others quite disappointing (but could have been better if they had been allowed more time / space to develop).

It was a quick read and I would rate it only a 2½ out of 5.

I'll be picking it up to read soon. I love Brian Wood's work.

Did you like Local?

Pat

I read the Avengers/Defenders War VC on a flight home the other day.

Wow, that was not good. I probably hadn't read it since it was first released. And I generally like Englehart.

I know BA books were written more for kids than books today, but the complete lack of any sophistication or any assumption of intelligence of the reader was glaring. I was embarrassed to be reading it.

I read the Avengers/Defenders War VC on a flight home the other day.

Wow, that was not good. I probably hadn't read it since it was first released. And I generally like Englehart.

I know BA books were written more for kids than books today, but the complete lack of any sophistication or any assumption of intelligence of the reader was glaring. I was embarrassed to be reading it.

Next up: Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I heard that wasn't very good either. I'll probably reread DKR first.

not comic but related, started reading the first dresden files novel as I loved the short tv series. Pretty good so far. Don't know the last time i read something without pictures.

not comic but related, started reading the first dresden files novel as I loved the short tv series. Pretty good so far. Don't know the last time i read something without pictures.

Do you know if the TV series was based on the books, or vice versa? That was a good show....typical SciFi channel that they cancel it and go with the same old krap that they choose to put on the air.