• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man Movie Discussion Thread

112 posts in this topic

Also noticed the lack of attention given to Terrence Howard (Rhodes)...

Personally, he's a great actor fitted well for dramas, but...

My interpretation of the Rhodes character -from the comic- is visually stronger/muscular, and audibly deeper/richer in tone.

My opinion, the only weak link in the casting. Though Gwyneth's recognition was distracting at times.

Thoughts?

Rick

My interpretation of the Rhodes character -from the comic- is visually stronger/muscular, and audibly deeper/richer in tone.

My opinion, the only weak link in the casting. Though Gwyneth's recognition was distracting at times.

Thoughts?

Rick

I just can't get over him in Hustle and Flow...think will smith would have been better for rhodey.

I didn't find Howard to be weak at all in the part. In fact, given the limited screen time for him, I still found him able to layer his part, giving it some complexity. I thought Paltrow, also was quite good. I haven't seen the film a second time, though as I will probably wait for it to come out on DVD. Right now I'm looking forward to Indiana Jones and the next crop of films this summer.

Thoughts?

Rick

I just can't get over him in Hustle and Flow...think will smith would have been better for rhodey.

Will Smith..... Absolutely not. Terrence Howard did a good job, but I agree upon the voice, always thought it would be deeper.

Slightly OT but still an Iron Man question:

I was a fan back in the day, but stopped collecting at about issue 100. I'd like to catch up on his story and have noticed there are several volumes of collected story arcs available.

My question is, which of these volumes ("Armor Wars" etc) are the best in terms of story & art quality, and also which are the most significant in terms of importance to the character?

I've apparently missed a lot. For example, I thought it was an unusual move to cast Samual Jackson as Nick Fury, but apparently Fury's been black for quite some time and I had no idea. (not sure how they pulled that one off, but with Marvel's penchant for using radiation as a character catalyst perhaps Fury had a bad day at the tanning salon?)

The first time I saw a Black Nick Fury was in the Avengers animated movie that came out last year. But, hey, there was a Black King Pin too.

I saw the movie Saturday night and was blown away. There was humor, snappy one liners..."He also pays me to take out the trash in the morning.", action, and a good story.

The sequences are off though - Nick Fury asks Iron Man to join the Avengers Initiative? Hold on, it was Tony Stark that recruited Nick Fury to SHIELD in the first place! I guess not everything will jive with us comic colelctors but it works for the audience.

Bravo.

My question is, which of these volumes ("Armor Wars" etc) are the best in terms of story & art quality, and also which are the most significant in terms of importance to the character?

IMO, Iron Man #115-#128 is the best story arc(demon in a bottle), issues #120-#128 are contained in the TPB "The Power Of Iron Man". The writing and especially the art is the best it has ever been, to me.

i just saw the movie last friday night, i liked the movie, my only dissapointment was the end battle scene...yawn. zzz but the movie is most definitely in the top 3 bests marvel movies of all time. i do agree with a previous posts, the new hulk will probably be a stinker. (shrug)

Saw the movie, loved it. IMO, it jumps to the top of the list of superhero-related movies. According to boxoffice mojo, worldwide gross is fast approaching $350 million.

I loved it and so did my non-comic-collecting wife. I thought Gwyneth Paltrow did a great understated role and RDJ was a great Tony Stark. I really liked that they stayed relatively close to the original story but with real world updates of Middle East instead of Vietnam and updated technology.

I enjoyed the surprise after the credits but it was pretty pointless to the wife, and I'm sure to any non-comic people.

Absolutely a fun movie experience for nearly anybody.

Saw the movie, loved it. IMO, it jumps to the top of the list of superhero-related movies. According to boxoffice mojo, worldwide gross is fast approaching $350 million.

Just saw it today and absolutely loved it!! A knockout performance from the whole cast, but especially from Robert Downey Jr. Definitely at the very top of the superhero movie genre. Just a perfect flick and the little "suprise" at the end(someone had already blown it for me, but it still made me clap and yell) was just the icing on the cake. (worship):headbang::acclaim::banana:^^

Saw it yesterday with my 10-year old daughter and we both loved it. Wish I would have read this thread before I went because we didn't stay and watch the after-credits bonus...but you gotta love the internet...found a bootleg clip of it online! Very cool... (thumbs u

It would be nice if hollywood could get a clue and figure out that movies like IM

where there was real effort in casting, acting, directing, writing and production

are the money makers and start making better movies like this one.

I watched FF2 last night and thought WTF I could of wrote something better than this

and I suck at writing.

Anyone that is a fan of FF comicbooks must of been hugging the porcelain pretty hard

with these two craap fests...

I am glad I read the reviews and stayed far away from these at the theaters...

Here's to praying they get a clue and have a hard gutwrenching final trilogy movie

that includes the submariner - to me that is the only thing that would save this franchise

(Jessica Alba can only carry the series so far with the dreaming drooling fanboys that follow her)

:P

I finally went to see Iron Man at the Drive-in this past weekend. Two thumbs up from me an my wife(who hates the super-hero movies I bring her to)

I also agree the end fight seen was kind of blah, especially since it took Tony awhile to learn how to use the armor and Obladi-Obadiah is an ace the first time he puts the costume on.

Had to get to the bathroom as the credits rolled to beat the crowd and I missed Fury! :tonofbricks: But I've seen the clip on-line so that's okay.

The movie was paired up with Speed Racer. Wow that is a bomb!

I agree with Toro.....the climax was pretty lame and didn't make a lot of sense. Although it did feel like a Bronze Iron Man comic in that he usually got his azz kicked before devising some nonsensicle way to win the day.

But up til then it was a very good movie, mostly due to very good actors.

I've seen it twice now, once with my wife who wants to go see it again! (thumbs u The cast held that whole movie together without question and the digital FX were just phenomenal!

The movie has done nearly $450mil worldwide :applause: Why am I applauding? I don't own any Marvel stock :(

I've seen it twice now, once with my wife who wants to go see it again! (thumbs u The cast held that whole movie together without question and the digital FX were just phenomenal!

The movie has done nearly $450mil worldwide :applause: Why am I applauding? I don't own any Marvel stock :(

It's on pace to be the 4th most successful super-hero movie, behind the 3 Spideys. That ain't bad.

It's on pace to be the 4th most successful super-hero movie, behind the 3 Spideys. That ain't bad.

Not bad is right...especially considering Spidey enjoys a huge "brand-name" advantage over Iron Man. I bet 90% of the moviegoers have never heard of Iron Man before (aside from the movie hype and promotion).

Case in point...a 24-year old co-worker was telling me she planned on seeing it soon, and when I told her it was awesome and that it was my favorite of all the recent comic-book hero movies, she said "oh, I didn't realize Iron Man was a comic book character"

One other comment on the movie itself...one thing I wished they would have done (and I imagined it this way) was playing IRON MAN by Black Sabbath not at the end of the movie, but when Iron Man made his first appearance, either in the original costume or the final version... (shrug)