• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

You get the comic at the end of the run at the "quarantine" area. I thought I would have to do the run while carrying it, I would just tap out and go home

lol

I'm running with a group of 4 survivors on Friday. We're in the 1:00 group. Looking forward to it, hope it's fun and not a let-down.

I'm in a group of 3. I think that 1:00 is the first run since they rescheduled everyone from earlier.

What's up with the fact the Andrea hasn't run out of ammo for her gun? She always seems to have the endless magic bag of ammo she keeps drawing from, and never once even says "I'm running out of ammo"?

I believe they have addressed this with Eugene needing to find a way to make new ammunition. That's why he and Abe went out that day. They were going to get supplies so he could work on making their own ammo.

Also-- I know that it's not THAT important, but there are A LOT of other members of Alexandria - which means that there are a lot of hungry people in that town. Rick mentioned they were running out of food issues ago - and then it's just dropped and never discussed again?

I thought when the group went to the hilltop they received enough food to hold them over.

Someone might be able to say I'm wrong. I don't feel like getting the issues out and reading right now.

You are correct on the food situation.

But Andrea's gun... I know they were going to look for a new way to make ammo - but she's been firing that gun a lot since she got it to have never once run out of ammo in a situation.

not sure about any of those things but i have to say that i think this issue every 3 weeks has taken a toll on charlie adlard. his art usually created a mood for the comic but issue 99 just seemed lazy and sloppier than usual. for instance completely black faced glen on page 4

i have heard many complain about his art and i could agree with what they were saying but wouldnt go as far as to back it up. but issue 99 really looked a notch below the usual quality...

One thing I've wondered, is because the series is in black and white, does that create more, the same, or less work for Adlard? I could see each scenario as a viable answer:

More work because maybe he has to do more complete shading since there is no colorist to follow up on the art.

The same because every artist does the same amount of shading and other normal touch ups, etc.

And less work, because he has Rathburn who can help him out with the art.

Regardless, issue 99 wasn't his best work, but that may be a factor of requiring more time to do issue 100 which will be more of a key issue for the series, requiring more attention to detail. Or perhaps, he ran short on time because of the two issues last month?

:shrug:

Jerome

Okay - I've thought about this for a while now.. but never asked anyone..

What's up with the fact the Andrea hasn't run out of ammo for her gun? She always seems to have the endless magic bag of ammo she keeps drawing from, and never once even says "I'm running out of ammo"?

I understand Michonne's sword - a blade sharpener would do the trick to get her rolling again... but are we seriously to believe that Andrea's working with the unlimited ammo cheat?

Also-- I know that it's not THAT important, but there are A LOT of other members of Alexandria - which means that there are a lot of hungry people in that town. Rick mentioned they were running out of food issues ago - and then it's just dropped and never discussed again?

I know that there's the problem at hand with the Saviors, but that doesn't mean that all the other problems can be put on hold until there's a convenient time for the main characters to handle it. - right?

They received enough food from the hill top place to last them through the winter.

For all those attending the Petco event, please leave your valuables behind before you go through the experience and please be careful.

I'm sure there will be some knuckleheads who will take the opportunity to steal from others during the chaos, as well as those who will be over zealous in their zombie portrayals and or be too physical with those playing zombies.

And most importantly have fun!

For all those attending the Petco event, please leave your valuables behind before you go through the experience and please be careful.

I'm sure there will be some knuckleheads who will take the opportunity to steal from others during the chaos, as well as those who will be over zealous in their zombie portrayals and or be too physical with those playing zombies.

And most importantly have fun!

Good advice. I'm bringing a bat with nails in it just in case ;)

You get the comic at the end of the run at the "quarantine" area. I thought I would have to do the run while carrying it, I would just tap out and go home

lol

I'm running with a group of 4 survivors on Friday. We're in the 1:00 group. Looking forward to it, hope it's fun and not a let-down.

I'm in a group of 3. I think that 1:00 is the first run since they rescheduled everyone from earlier.

Yeah, was 11:00 am originally and got rescheduled to 1:00.

not sure about any of those things but i have to say that i think this issue every 3 weeks has taken a toll on charlie adlard. his art usually created a mood for the comic but issue 99 just seemed lazy and sloppier than usual. for instance completely black faced glen on page 4

i have heard many complain about his art and i could agree with what they were saying but wouldnt go as far as to back it up. but issue 99 really looked a notch below the usual quality...

One thing I've wondered, is because the series is in black and white, does that create more, the same, or less work for Adlard? I could see each scenario as a viable answer:

More work because maybe he has to do more complete shading since there is no colorist to follow up on the art.

The same because every artist does the same amount of shading and other normal touch ups, etc.

And less work, because he has Rathburn who can help him out with the art.

Regardless, issue 99 wasn't his best work, but that may be a factor of requiring more time to do issue 100 which will be more of a key issue for the series, requiring more attention to detail. Or perhaps, he ran short on time because of the two issues last month?

:shrug:

Jerome

Because the series is in black and white it doesn't necessarily mean its more work for adlard, but it does make it easier to notice when he rushes the art. I remember talking to Rathburn at the Boston comiccon last year and he said that he can only do so much graytones for an area that is crudely drawn...

The fact is, we've all seen adlard work, and we know how well he can draw. It's like.. Handing in the first essay in a class when you did the best work you can, then writing papers of lesser quality later on.. The teacher will know you're not reaching your full potential. Adlards art was consistently great for the first 60 issues or so he drew.. But there is a very noticeable difference in the way he drew starting in the 70s. His style actually morphed into a different one, and in my opinions it's not nearly as detailed. I don't buy the "he's saving up all his good drawing skills for issue 100" because he's been drawing the same way now for over two years.

Those three panels of Carl's face after he saw Rick and Andrea cuddling on the couch? Yeah, I have no idea what those expressions were supposed to convey. Is he pissed? Was that a smirk in the final panel? Is he happy for them? I really have no idea.

If Charlie keeps this up, Kirkman's going to need to bring back the thought bubble.

Those three panels of Carl's face after he saw Rick and Andrea cuddling on the couch? Yeah, I have no idea what those expressions were supposed to convey. Is he pissed? Was that a smirk in the final panel? Is he happy for them? I really have no idea.

If Charlie keeps this up, Kirkman's going to need to bring back the thought bubble.

I didn't even notice this because I kept thinking about how stupid rick looks lying on the bed. A lot of funny looking things going on... expressions, proportions, ect..

Also - do you guys remember Axel's "ya hear me?" tic he had? I feel like for the longest time, when I read the comic I could hear these characters voices in my head because they each had their own --- uniqueness.. Now it seems like every character has the same voice. Does this make any sense to anyone else?

wow, what a terrible issue :( Once TV gets through the governor, the show is dead.

I liked the issue, it was the calm before the storm and the Maggie/Glen subplot was pretty well conveyed. They want the hell out of dodge, and willing to leave their only friends they have in the world to do so.

It would be boring if someone got their junk bitten or cut off in every issue.

The art does suck azz though. I've never written into a comic before but perhaps it's time. Take your damn time, or give the artists chores to someone who can handle it.

Jim

It's pretty obvious that certain characters are choosing their fate in this issue. Carl, Glenn and Maggie specifically request to join the van crew. In fact, we have all the main characters conveniently in the van, with the exception of Andrea, who's staying behind with a bunch of scrubs. It definitely makes things look very bad for the Alexandria crew.

IMO, It would be amazing if the van crew got wiped out and we got a near fresh start.

I enjoyed the interactions between Maggie/Glen too. The art was definitely bland at points,

I don't believe Rick would be this careless. Im thinking glen/Maggie go to hilltop and explain what's happening, while Rick/Michonne get out and wait....?

I think that we are lead to believe all of those people in the van are safe, but from reading everything about issue 100 I'm going to say something else happens. Kirkman has impressed before and I'm confident he will do it again in issue 100.