• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

Bone Releases This Year:

February

The Bone Handbook by Jeff Smith. Everything you wanted to know about Fone Bone but were afraid to ask. Includes profiles of the cast, a timeline, interviews with Smith and colorist Steve Hamaker and more. 96 pages, $9.99.

Bone: Tall Tales by Tom Sniegoski and Jeff Smith. As revealed at San Diego last year, here's a sorta-new collection of Bone material, featuring the Stupid, Stupid Rat Creatures story (in color) as well as some other tales. $21.99 hardcover, $10.99 paperback.

Fall

Bone: Quest for the Spark Book One by Tom Sniegoski and Jeff Smith. The other big Bone book of the year. Details on this one are sparse at the moment. All we know is that it's a prose book, illustrated by Smith and the first of a trilogy.

Here is my copy which I have not posted in awhile. This copy quite unique as I know the entire history of ownership of the book and had it documented when purchased.

The book was originally given to Jeff's boss Bob at the bookstore he worked at while attending college.

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

Here is my copy which I have not posted in awhile. This copy quite unique as I know the entire history of ownership of the book and had it documented when purchased.

The book was originally given to Jeff's boss Bob at the bookstore he worked at while attending college.

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

Awesome :applause: I wish I knew the history of my copy.

Those are really great copies of an extremely hard to find book. (worship)

I've always thought that Bone has the potential to be the next "Harry Potter." It started out on such a small scale, but it really is getting huge in the mainstream now. I work in education and you can find TPB of Bone in most school librarys now across the country. I know all the public libraries in my area have it as well as the school libraries in the school district.

I think there are a lot of kids who read at least some of this story who aren't comic book collectors. If they ever do get some sort of major motion picture made it could really surprise people.

If that ever happens, I can't even imagine how much those Thorn: Tales from the Lantern books will be worth.

I don't have a copy of Thorn: Tales from the Lantern yet. Hopefully, I'll find one someday...

By the way, here is my copy of Bone #1. I just bought this recently from another boardie in the sales forum so it may look familar. :cloud9:

2hrldn51.jpg

I don't have a copy of Thorn: Tales from the Lantern yet. Hopefully, I'll find one someday...

By the way, here is my copy of Bone #1. I just bought this recently from another boardie in the sales forum so it may look familar. :cloud9:

2hrldn51.jpg

Really nice copy. I was quite surprised to see it resold so quickly. Great buy :thumbsup:

As for Thorn, if you see a respectable copy grab it. Super, super hard book and the few around generally look a little beat. The copy that sold for $1000 I kind of regret not purchasing, as beat copies sell for $700+ and that one was really nice. But, at the time I was out of the country and it was hard to warrant buying a second copy or releasing my grasp on the copy of have with it's interesting and documented history.

2hrldn51.jpg

I'll need to pick up a Bone 1. How much does a CGC 9.8 cost?

I have never even heard of that Thorn book. Has it been reprinted?

I don't believe it has been reprinted.

F.Y.I. here is the history of the book: Jeff Smith used the characters to do a comic strip in his college newspaper called "The Lantern" at Ohio state. The strip was called "Thorn" not bone originally, hence the title Thorn: Tales from the Lantern. This book is a collection of those newspaper strips.

After he left Ohio State, he created the Bone comic book published by Cartoon Books.

So these strips are non-canon story wise to the Bone comic, but it's a really cool book.

I want to say the print run was a couple thousand but I'm not sure. Bear in mind though they were sold/given out on the Ohio State campus not sold to comic book collectors. So the majority of them were destroyed, thrown away, etc...

They are REALLY hard to find.

I've only seen 2 ever come up for sale. One was the really nice one mentioned previously that sold last summer. The other one had a big coffee ring stain on the cover. The person selling it was an Ohio State graduate who learned it was valuable and sold it on eBay (not a comic book collector).

I've never actually seen one in person.

I have never even heard of that Thorn book. Has it been reprinted?

I don't believe it has been reprinted.

F.Y.I. here is the : used the characters to do a comic strip in his college newspaper called "The Lantern" at state. The strip was called "Thorn" not bone originally, hence the title Thorn: Tales from the Lantern. This book is a collection of those newspaper strips.

After he left , he created the Bone comic book published by Cartoon Books.

So these strips are non-canon story wise to the Bone comic, but it's a really cool book.

I want to say the print run was a couple thousand but I'm not sure. Bear in mind though they were sold/given out on the Ohio State campus not sold to comic book collectors. So the majority of them were destroyed, thrown away, etc...

They are REALLY hard to find.

I've only seen 2 ever come up for sale. One was the really nice one mentioned previously that sold last summer. The other one had a big coffee ring stain on the cover. The person selling it was an Ohio State graduate who learned it was valuable and sold it on (not a comic book collector).

I've never actually seen one in person.

Couple comments:

1. No it was never reprinted and Jeff Smith has stated it will never be reprinted. However, *some* of the work was reprinted in a limited edition book put out in 2008.

2. The storyline is not the same or correlated to the comics but is extremely similar. The Bone comics are obviously heavily based on the newpaper strips collected in this book. This was not all, but some of the strips used in the paper school newspaper "The Lantern". Some of the panels look almost the same as those used in the comics. It's quite interesting for a collector to read.

3. 1000 where printed and supposedly out of those only 600 sold. 600 books sold 10 years or so before the comic caught on and at a college campus of all places. The book is over 25 years old now. Not many seem to have survived for obvious reasons.

2hrldn51.jpg

I'll need to pick up a Bone 1. How much does a CGC 9.8 cost?

Only two copies have been graded a 9.8. Last one sold for about 5 grand.