• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,463 posts in this topic

I figured I would post in the "Bone Appreciation Thread" that I've finally started to really appreciate Bone! :banana:

Spent the weekend holed up in the apartment with a cold, so I took advantage of the down time and finally committed to read the whole series start to finish. I just finished the third book of the Scholastic color reprint volumes. I have to say.. the art is stunning. Smith is a master of comedic timing and the multitude of expressions on the Bones really shows his depth as a cartoonist. The color is absolutely phenomenal, too. I really find myself slowing down to soak in each panel before going to the next. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Love it! :luhv:

Did you ever read any of the B&W issues before reading the color edition?

I've briefly read a few, but not really. Looking at both versions, the color version is far more appealing to me. It's like the b/w art was MADE to be colored, it just adds so much depth. Cerebus, on the other hand, has so much gray tone and shading that the color isn't needed.

I figured I would post in the "Bone Appreciation Thread" that I've finally started to really appreciate Bone! :banana:

Spent the weekend holed up in the apartment with a cold, so I took advantage of the down time and finally committed to read the whole series start to finish. I just finished the third book of the Scholastic color reprint volumes. I have to say.. the art is stunning. Smith is a master of comedic timing and the multitude of expressions on the Bones really shows his depth as a cartoonist. The color is absolutely phenomenal, too. I really find myself slowing down to soak in each panel before going to the next. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Did you ever read any of the B&W issues before reading the color edition?

I've briefly read a few, but not really. Looking at both versions, the color version is far more appealing to me. It's like the b/w art was MADE to be colored, it just adds so much depth. Cerebus, on the other hand, has so much gray tone and shading that the color isn't needed.

I feel precisely the opposite. Enjoy the rest of the story! :)

w00t! Looks like your caught my sickness Michael :)

It's fascinating how the color issue affects some people. I know plenty of people who refuse to pick up Showcases or Essentials despite the GIl Kane or Steve Ditko art because of it. Kids seem to usually avoid them.

That being said, its a complete non-issue with Bone. Kids love it anyway, and for the most part, adults don't care either. I think it shows Smith's storytelling prowess.

It irritates me to no end when this book is displayed as a kid's book. As Booster mentioned, it works for all age groups. The only difference from Bone and other comics is the "simplistic" way in which the Bone characters are drawn (okay, Ted too). But the story isn't entirely written for a child.

Pat

I think it works excellently both ways. This is a wierd comparison, but I think its a little like the Quiet Man. It was marvelous in black and white originally, and there's a strong audience for that, but then when it was recolored, there was a great number of people who thought the recoloring added a lot to it. Either way, though, I think the Black and White encourages more imagination with it, like Herobear and the Kid, where as the color makes everything seem vibrant.

.. still reading. Up to the 7th volume. Although I've loved the story thus far, I have to say the 'ghost circles' kinda felt contrived and just not appropriate for the comic book medium.. a bunch of issues are devoted to them trying to out maneuver something that isn't even visible. :shrug: Everything else is :thumbsup:

.. still reading. Up to the 7th volume. Although I've loved the story thus far, I have to say the 'ghost circles' kinda felt contrived and just not appropriate for the comic book medium.. a bunch of issues are devoted to them trying to out maneuver something that isn't even visible. :shrug: Everything else is :thumbsup:

Personally, I rank Ghost Circles at #8 just above my least favorite chapter, Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border (too many cutesy talking animals in that one). Treasure Hunters and Crown of Horns are much better reads. :)

I'm almost done reading the series (then on to the prequel mini-series), and I'm curious -- why did he call it Bone? Why did he name the the race of little white guys with big noses Bones? Why do Fone Bone and Phoney Bone have such phonetically similar names?

I really thought this book would top $1600....hmm (shrug)

Too many 9.6s put up for sale earlier in the year is my guess. Collectors have been bidding low on all the series books for awhile now so I'm not surprised.

Too many 9.6s put up for sale earlier in the year is my guess. Collectors have been bidding low on all the series books for awhile now so I'm not surprised.

Still higher than the last $1300 sale back in June, though - which shows that there's still people willing to shell out a sizeable chunk of change for this book in this grade.

Still higher than the last $1300 sale back in June, though - which shows that there's still people willing to shell out a sizeable chunk of change for this book in this grade.

I concur, but it has taken a hit (considering the three sales before the $1300 were between $1900 & $2250). Three of the four that sold in April/May went to the same buyer so the pool hasn't drained that much. I think everyone's just bidding lower.