• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,793 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2023 at 7:42 PM, Sqeggs said:

Per Chuck's catalog, all three issues of Canteen Kate were in the collection and he graded them all NM+.

I only know this because I just looked it up!

Just shows that you should never doubt @Dr. Love! Looking through Chuck's catalog--which, of course, I should have done before beginning to post about this--shows that there were a lot of Bakers in the Church collection. Looks like Chuck graded about two-thirds NM or so and the rest in the VG/FN range. The latter books Edgar presumably bought used. So, there may well be ungraded raw high-grade Church books or some of the high-grade slabbed Bakers may be unrecognized Church books or maybe some of both. Even more likely that some of the mid-grade books were slabbed without having the ped noted.

The WTR 7 I posted earlier was graded NM by Chuck. Of course, it may have knocked about a bit before it was graded. He graded the Hawk 11 as a FN.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:05 PM, comicnoir said:

Church copy graded out 9.0. On Ha.com archives.

Seven Seas 6 has a Church copy. 9.4.

Looks like Edgar had the whole SS run. I used to own the 1, CGC 9.8. Only the covers of the 4 and 6 appeal to me. I did eventually pick up a nice copy of the 5 (not the Church copy) but I think Baker struggles with profiles, and I don't much like that cover. 

On 1/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, comicnoir said:

First time posting this.

teen-age romances 45.jpeg

One of his best. The "Re-issue of originals" disclaimer is unusual. Presumably it refers to the fact that only the cover was new; the stories being all reprints. Is this the only book on which that disclaimer appears?

On 2/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, Sqeggs said:

One of his best. The "Re-issue of originals" disclaimer is unusual. Presumably it refers to the fact that only the cover was new; the stories being all reprints. Is this the only book on which that disclaimer appears?

Yes.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, comicnoir said:

The WTR 7 I posted earlier was graded NM by Chuck. Of course, it may have knocked about a bit before it was graded. He graded the Hawk 11 as a FN.

That's quite the miscut for a NM.

Yeah, I think that was another bad decision by CGC. Presumably it was ignored, or largely so, because it was a production defect.

This book doesn't have the eye appeal of a 7.0, imo. 

dia4.20a.jpeg

On 2/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I think that was another bad decision by CGC. Presumably it was ignored, or largely so, because it was a production defect.

This book doesn't have the eye appeal of a 7.0, imo. 

dia4.20a.jpeg

I have the 6.5 of this issue that looks way better because of no mis-cut.