• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2023 at 3:04 AM, comicnoir said:

A copy of APC 23 in 6.5 sold for $942.00 on Ha this week. Finally some love for these great books.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/authentic-police-cases-23-st-john-1952-cgc-fn-65-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122319-13015.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

Wonder what mine would get?

authentic police cases 23.jpeg

Really like the color scheme on that book. I assume Baker was responsible. May have a gone a bit overboard with the shading in the Punch-Board Profit thumbnail. hm

On 5/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

A recent significant addition to the Matt Baker collection. Had to man up for this lone highest.  :foryou:

IMG_2595.jpeg

If you should ever--unaccountably!--have the urge to trade down to a very nice 7.0 + cash you can find me on the street corner under the lamppost.

On 5/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, Frisco Larson said:

New in the box.

Pictorial Romances 18.jpg

One of a number of Baker covers where he was drawing what he felt like drawing with zero consideration to how appealing the subject matter would be to the book's target audicence of preteen/teen girls. Recently married, stuck with a howling infant, and hubby is heading for greener pastures! What teen dreams are made of! :insane:

Contrast with the endless covers Colletta did for Atlas with variations on the boy and girl locked in a clinch. 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Karen’s hair turns black (or bluish) inside the comic book.

IMG_2260.thumb.jpeg.7affd08465e8a9253b17f8f4d5e4b1ca.jpeg

Red hair in the interior of a book was against the Comic Code. :sumo:

On 6/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, John Kimble said:

20230629_175537.jpg

Cool book and cool avatar!!

On 7/1/2023 at 8:08 AM, Robot Man said:

Isn’t this the last known Baker romance cover?

Last one published by date from St John.  Theory is that it's an older inventoried cover.

On 7/1/2023 at 12:24 AM, Changer said:

scan0102.jpg

Looks like CGC didn't need to grade this copy.  Someone already marked it a "6".  :kidaround:

Now that I think about it... this is the devils copy.  Issue 6, marked 6, and graded 6.  :devil:

Edited by Yorick
Hmmm....