• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,584 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2022 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

There's definitely a conversation to be had about why e.g. the couples on the covers of St. John titles like Teen-Age Romances and the above Going Steady look like their ages are skewing to late 20s (charitably) or 30s. 

My guess has long been that if teenagers to college students were buying romance comics, St. John/Baker tried to make the covers more 'aspirational' by making the characters slightly more mature and sophisticated. But that's just a guess. Thoughts?

Definitely possible. Baker also drew the majority of these covers while he was in his 30s and, for his own reasons, unmarried, so it may have felt more authentic to him to draw people closer to his own age.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

There's definitely a conversation to be had about why e.g. the couples on the covers of St. John titles like Teen-Age Romances and the above Going Steady look like their ages are skewing to late 20s (charitably) or 30s. 

My guess has long been that if teenagers to college students were buying romance comics, St. John/Baker tried to make the covers more 'aspirational' by making the characters slightly more mature and sophisticated. But that's just a guess. Thoughts?

editor was a dirty old man

On 12/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, Ryan. said:

Definitely possible. Baker also drew the majority of these covers while he was in his 30s and, for his own reasons, unmarried, so it may have felt more authentic to him to draw people closer to his own age.

Another good point. Firing up the pipe again…

All good thoughts, but I like Point Five’s best. When I was pre-teen and teenager, one of my greatest drivers was to be older. The perceived freedom, the things one would be able to own (eg. cars and motorcycles), and the fulfillment of new desires was strong. Seeing older guys with their cars, girlfriends and no parents involved was intoxicating. Baker’s older couples also fit with the perception I have of teen and twenties people in movies of the era as just looking older. Bacall was 16 in her first roll with Bogart, I believe. Did not look it. Just 2 cents. 

St. John Matt Baker covers with older looking characters are mostly, if not all, from the time when the Comics Code Authority was coming into play. The obvious examples are from late 1954 onward, after the Senate hearings in April and June of ’54.

Matt was a pro and delivered what his clients ordered. He probably wouldn’t begin to age cover characters on a whim. More likely, St. John was avoiding trouble by having Baker depict people in such a way that they couldn’t possibly be mistaken for young teen-agers.

Situations on Baker covers during that period are clearly college or young adult oriented. No more promiscuous, trash talking teens on the beach!

On 1/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, comicnoir said:

Wow. I'm feelin' good about the 4.0 that just came home from CGC. The one I paid $9 for.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, Changer said:
On 1/12/2023 at 2:01 PM, manetteska said:

image.thumb.png.e05f2ef19d8f889e2fcd89234300b514.png

Quite a difference compared to the 6.5 price...

Expand  

that might be softer also due to the color saturation 

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Amazing Ghost Stories #14 (St. John, 1954) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages.... 

I agree; if the settings are the same for each, it's night and day (and that's why I didn't bid on this copy). However, how much (what %) did the color play into the price difference? What other factors (comic market, $ market, specific notes, etc) played into it?

Ultimately, GPA is going to show two prices, two grades, and two dates, and that's it.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:02 PM, szav said:

Isn't there a blue label 1.8 being shopped around everywhere on social media?

Or is it this 1.8?

On 1/17/2023 at 7:30 PM, EdMann2 said:

Man...  I'm glad I bought mine when I did.  And I thought paying $250 for this was crazy at the time (maybe 8-10 years ago)...   1569763657_IMG_2556(2).jpg.aa4a263020bccb7addf5fbb3cad9fffe.jpg

I was just a dummy 8-10 years ago, buying X-Men #4 for $1 each.

I had to pay/trade way more for my copy, but I'm very glad I have it.