• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2023 at 11:15 PM, LadyDeath said:

Any owners of Cinderella Love 26? Charming cover I hope to acquire one day. What is fascinating about Baker's covers is their ability to invoke a sense of nostalgia or poignancy. Even for something you never experienced. I haven't encountered that with any other comic book artist. Hard to explain but I'm sure some people here get it.

RADE66B62017131_17423.jpg

Totally, love this one. (I have a CGC 3.0... nice but not this nice!) Such an intimate scene, with so many small-but-rich, lovely details.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:27 PM, Point Five said:

Totally, love this one. (I have a CGC 3.0... nice but not this nice!) Such an intimate scene, with so many small-but-rich, lovely details.

Bored soda jerk, upturned chairs, smoldering cigarette, two full cups of coffee. All tell the story so well.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:30 PM, PassDaMike said:

Here is my copy, I agree how he is able to capture a moment so well as if it’s part of your distant past experience. 

I mean look at the guy in the back, he just wants to close shop and go home from work but these two just can’t go  get another room.

228081AF-1C41-4A53-ACBA-193DD36DCD54.jpeg

That guy always gets me when I look at this. It's 3am, dude is like come on.

Did you buy this on ebay recently? I remember seeing it but couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Was hoping it would sit there for a little while longer.

Edited by LadyDeath

On 9/29/2023 at 11:15 PM, LadyDeath said:

Any owners of Cinderella Love 26? Charming cover I hope to acquire one day. What is fascinating about Baker's covers is their ability to invoke a sense of nostalgia or poignancy. Even for something you never experienced. I haven't encountered that with any other comic book artist. Hard to explain but I'm sure some people here get it.

RADE66B62017131_17423.jpg

Looks like my copy.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:30 PM, PassDaMike said:

Here is my copy, I agree how he is able to capture a moment so well as if it’s part of your distant past experience. 

I mean look at the guy in the back, he just wants to close shop and go home from work but these two just can’t go  get another room.

228081AF-1C41-4A53-ACBA-193DD36DCD54.jpeg

Can't blame the cook. It's 3 a.m.!

On 9/30/2023 at 9:24 PM, Point Five said:

Thanks to Bob Storms / highgradecomics for this new Diary Secrets.

Whew, this red-headed gal in front is a real piece of work. "When the police came, I-I gave YOUR name, Hope! Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing...."

diarysecrets15.thumb.jpg.bd233ee73769cfbee48de836acb69206.jpg

Really nice copy. I think there's a 9.0 coming on Heritage next month. Should be a doozy.

On 9/30/2023 at 9:24 PM, Point Five said:

Thanks to Bob Storms / highgradecomics for this new Diary Secrets.

Whew, this red-headed gal in front is a real piece of work. "When the police came, I-I gave YOUR name, Hope! Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing...."

diarysecrets15.thumb.jpg.bd233ee73769cfbee48de836acb69206.jpg

One of my favorite Bakers. Usually flies under the radar

On 10/2/2023 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

A great short little run. Baker cover to cover. At 3.5, you really ought to crack it and totally enjoy it…(shrug)

I like displaying my slabs. Looks a lot better than 3.5 as well.

The hardcover Canteen Kate is on Amazon for 12 bucks, can always read it that way. (thumbsu

On 10/2/2023 at 11:42 AM, Robot Man said:

That makes sense I guess. I'm just at a point where storage space is at a premium and I can have all 3 in the same space...

By the way, it would sure be cool if someone would reprint all the Sky Girl stories in Jumbo comics. Great, fun stories with some of the best Baker art. 

comcanteenkate1.jpg

comcanteenkate2.jpg

comcanteenkate3.jpg

Certainly know what you mean. I'd love to have all three originals ready to read. This is my only CK as my Baker collection is just getting started.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:03 AM, LadyDeath said:

And right here as well! But this one has all three stories. That lowly slab has merely one.

1_2be2c0cdb4b7a7f2b0c1a2a332cb4895.jpg

I don't have any issues of my own, so you've sold me on this nice looking (and cheap) hardcover.

Don't get me started, but I'll have to see the treatment of the art before making any final judgement.  Reprints of golden age comics vary greatly with their faithfulness to the original and eye appeal.