• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2023 at 6:14 AM, Ernie72 said:

That's why I suspect that Matt Baker took in count her in some occasions at time to draw some characters. However other sources said that he was influenced by artist like Alex Raymond and Milton Caniff who were using models who looked like some of Matt Bakers female characters, in special the model who possed for the character of Miss Lace. Other sources just stablished that Baker came from the generation of those artists but he knew how to glow with his own style and I agree with this of course.

WW II Military and Aviation History Cartoonist: Milton Caniff - Flight  Journal

This is Milton Caniff drawing Miss Lace with his model

There's a fun French comic that came out in 1994 which has an English translation.  It's called "Pin-up" and is loosely based on Caniff and Ms Lace (and cameos of other GA artists).  I really enjoy Berthet's artwork.  I'm not sure how much of the series has been translated, but the third book ended nicely (it's the last English one I have, and I also have 4 and 5 in French).

On 10/20/2023 at 8:01 PM, LadyDeath said:

Baker's autumn covers are such a pleasant vibe.

1_c25bb63e6151abaf9b5866a12ca86c24.jpg

1_de3db940f7ab083d8c8a08ac5d6efcf4.jpg

Wow! That TAR 44 is a real gem. I still need that issue.

TAR 42 has long been one of my favorites. Such a rich sense of place and time. I look at this couple (dating? flirting?) and think yeah, their relationship probably doesn’t go the distance. They’re drawn so differently… she’s all curves and relaxed body language, while he’s tense and angular, kind of a Mike Love punk type. The falling leaves add to that feeling of wistfulness and suggest the passage of time, or the season coming to an end… another quiet Baker masterpiece.

On 10/23/2023 at 9:38 AM, Darwination said:

I'd love to have a copy of this one.

Copies are easy to find, it's the original that's tough...  :kidaround:

IMG_20231023_120143890.thumb.jpg.a75435aad9ab885ac3fe935e80dec9fa.jpg

This copy is the Dark Horse edition (2007).  Very nice reprint.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, Darwination said:

Baker must have liked that one, too, to give it the full page treatment.  I'd love to have a copy of this one.

Since It Rhymes With Lust was digest sized, the art was laid out differently than a regular comic book, allowing for oversized panels throughout. I believe the book contains 12 full page panels in all.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, Robot Man said:

Why do so many “teenage” girls look like older women on Baker covers? 

She has grey hairs in the top one (august issue) 😁😁😝

On 10/28/2023 at 3:36 PM, LadyDeath said:

So uh, how suspicious is this? Am I reading it wrong or was the price jacked up by one guy?

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/145394658857?item=145394658857&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m145235.l2565

I dunno, it might be fine. The ebay seller blissard does have a lot of loyal bidders, so this is not necessarily a shill. And I've sold GA books on ebay where I had a bidder that bids like this, like they have to be on top every waking moment for all 7 days. (God bless 'em!)