• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, Ernie72 said:

I have noticed, or at least it's my sensation, that Matt Baker/Kamen Rulah has too much in common with the actress Jane Russel. Does anybody know if Baker took her in count at the time to create Rulah's aethetic?

https://d3nvbf5pqk2vjh.cloudfront.net/cgccomics/monthly_2023_03/B3704230-E198-4981-B0D0-A195A1638913.jpeg.b0bbb807bcd930f4b0a6e7575f926a0e.jpeg

That cover is all Jack Kamen, as noted by several sources, including Grand Comics Database. And any stories inside that are attributed to Baker are followed by a question mark, because if it is his art, it's some of the most awkward looking art he ever drew. 

On 10/16/2023 at 5:45 AM, MBFan said:

That cover is all Jack Kamen, as noted by several sources, including Grand Comics Database. And any stories inside that are attributed to Baker are followed by a question mark, because if it is his art, it's some of the most awkward looking art he ever drew. 

I know that, but my question was if anybody have any reference about Matt Baker taking in count a famous actress or model at the time to design Rulah's face...

For example, this is a draw of 1946 from the book "The art fo Glamour". I find it similar to the actress Jane Russell, despita somebody could find it similar to Rita Hayworth

MATT BAKER The Art of Glamour – Buds Art Books

Edited by Ernie72

On 10/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, Ernie72 said:

I know that, but my question was if anybody have any reference about Matt Baker taking in count a famous actress or model at the time to design Rulah's face...

I think Jane Russell was so big in the culture at that point, particularly as a pin-up, that you can tie Russell to Rulah as dark haired, long legged and All-American cheesecake.  The face, as you point out, is tall and lean like Russell, too.  No doubt Baker liked working with that long curly and flowing hair with the flip in the front.

We were just talking about Russell in regards to glamour/pin-up artist Zoe Mozert on one of the pulp threads.  This one sold for 166,000 at Heritage and has some neat background

ZoeMozert-PublicityPosterforJaneRussellinTheOutlawOriginalArt.thumb.jpg.bce82ed5a57e9c64134721bfc68c2fed.jpg

On 10/16/2023 at 12:12 PM, Darwination said:

I think Jane Russell was so big in the culture at that point, particularly as a pin-up, that you can tie Russell to Rulah as dark haired, long legged and All-American cheesecake.  The face, as you point out, is tall and lean like Russell, too.  No doubt Baker liked working with that long curly and flowing hair with the flip in the front.

We were just talking about Russell in regards to glamour/pin-up artist Zoe Mozert on one of the pulp threads.  This one sold for 166,000 at Heritage and has some neat background

ZoeMozert-PublicityPosterforJaneRussellinTheOutlawOriginalArt.thumb.jpg.bce82ed5a57e9c64134721bfc68c2fed.jpg

In reality, the pick of Jane Russell that I posted was of her first movie in 1943 where she curiously, played the role of "Rio McDonald". It's obvious that "the comic "Señorita Rio" is a clear wink to that character of Russell. Just take a view. Fight Comics #46 (Fiction House, 1946)

The wonderful picture that you have posted here is an inspiration of that first movie of Russell too

image.jpeg.017da477e8640a67e025dd78d856183a.jpeg

In that movie Jane Russell was approximately 22 years old.

I'm sure Baker took inspiration from several female celebrities at the time. It would be strange if he didn't. He also sought out rather obscure material like a Greek magazine responsible for Cinderella Love 25. Baker kept an extensive reference file and culled ideas from photographs/clippings he had saved and got right to work. Other times things just popped in his head. They covered this in The Art of Glamour.

On 10/16/2023 at 12:54 PM, LadyDeath said:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I thought that the woman in the first paint was Dorothy Lamour but she had a different smile. That first woman is Beryl Wallace a singer and dancer from USA

Beryl Wallace, Earl Carroll's Vanities Pin-up (W423) | The Metropolitan  Museum of Art

Edited by Ernie72
A mystake

On 10/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, LadyDeath said:

He also sought out rather obscure material like a Greek magazine responsible for Cinderella Love 25.

The Greek magazine was a reprint from Liberty Magazine (USA).  The original artist is Ernie Chiriaka (sp?).  I recently found a Ken Bald swipe from an original Chiriaka image.  I'm really liking a lot of the Chiriaka work I've been seeing.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:09 PM, Yorick said:

The Greek magazine was a reprint from Liberty Magazine (USA).  The original artist is Ernie Chiriaka (sp?).  I recently found a Ken Bald swipe from an original Chiriaka image.  I'm really liking a lot of the Chiriaka work I've been seeing.

Oh ok, I was unaware of the reprint. Another theory is that Baker and the Greek artist used photos from the same source as inspirations for their artwork.

Possibly from The Loves of Carmen (1948) starring Rita Hayworth.

The-Loves-of-Carmen.jpg

Edited by LadyDeath

On 10/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, LadyDeath said:

Oh ok, I was unaware of the reprint. Another theory is that Baker and the Greek artist used photos from the same source as inspirations for their artwork.

Possibly from The Loves of Carmen (1948) starring Rita Hayworth.

The-Loves-of-Carmen.jpg

A lot of times, I'm finding something like this to be true.  I'll identify "swipes" or "inspirations" from other print sources for covers or illustrations, but it turns out all the artists were inspired by the same publicity shoot or scene from the movies which were more universal than any possible print source.

On 10/16/2023 at 3:09 PM, Yorick said:

A greek descendent artist who lived in NYC. He has a lot of interesting works of art.

On 10/17/2023 at 2:25 PM, Yorick said:

I don't think I wrote that clearly enough....

Liberty Magazine published the image in 1947 (you can clearly see the signature of the artist lower left):

liberty1.thumb.jpg.9a67ca2d7090a9b0da8037ec9cdcd3af.jpg

liberty2.thumb.jpg.afa4edfb9af29c98cc179be54cb8d885.jpg

The other uses came later:

89F791B2-81A6-476C-AA33-B4AD990B4EE2.jpeg.dce81215c56b76140f09105f94c4b086.thumb.jpeg.6812aa9410c56f1487e7ccc7ded0cee7.jpeg

That Greek magazine reused many terrific images, and likely more from that original artist.

IMG_20231017_013658006.thumb.jpg.e0e11d694bfc87d861b32069f1c4a9e4.jpg

Yes of course, you were clear in your post. The american version was first.

On 10/17/2023 at 11:49 PM, Darwination said:

heh heh, Just came across Jane Russell in the comics (plus Robert Mitchum), from an upcoming Heritage auction:
HeartThrobs091952-03.QualitycoverJaneRussellandRobertMitchum(HACGC6.0).thumb.jpg.f50f9fbc751f25c59ebd40b858b4de47.jpg

That's why I suspect that Matt Baker took in count her in some occasions at time to draw some characters. However other sources said that he was influenced by artist like Alex Raymond and Milton Caniff who were using models who looked like some of Matt Bakers female characters, in special the model who possed for the character of Miss Lace. Other sources just stablished that Baker came from the generation of those artists but he knew how to glow with his own style and I agree with this of course.

WW II Military and Aviation History Cartoonist: Milton Caniff - Flight  Journal

This is Milton Caniff drawing Miss Lace with his model