• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,401 posts in this topic

300 dpi is generally considered a minimum for a good image and in a lot of ways optimal for viewing on a screen or sharing.   400 dpi is a nice combo of speed and quality.  600 dpi is considered minimum for "archival quality," and I've been told that 1200 dpi is the minimum necessary for print even though I've had luck with less.  My main scanner (a plustek edge style book scanner) designed for avoiding spine shadow on hardcovers will scan the whole bed in about 7 seconds.  400 to 600 dpi in about 30-40 seconds.   Every comic or mag that comes in gets a 600 dpi scan to a lossless format before I bag it so I know what I've got and have the image available for restoration, and I also take a scan when I sell a book just to remember it by (and because if I got a book 20 years ago, scanning it on newer technology before it's gone isn't a bad idea).  I'd guess people like to take a scan before they send in to grade, too, just so they have a nice image sans plastic - and so they can see the havoc wrought by grading gremlins j/k,n/k :ohnoez:

In translating an image to a computer screen, you can run into some issues when larger images get "squeezed down" to the width of our screens (1680,1920,etc.)  but the standards on screen widths go up over time just like our ability to handle and store large image files.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:21 PM, Darwination said:

300 dpi is generally considered a minimum for a good image and in a lot of ways optimal for viewing on a screen or sharing.   400 dpi is a nice combo of speed and quality.  600 dpi is considered minimum for "archival quality," and I've been told that 1200 dpi is the minimum necessary for print even though I've had luck with less.  My main scanner (a plustek edge style book scanner) designed for avoiding spine shadow on hardcovers will scan the whole bed in about 7 seconds.  400 to 600 dpi in about 30-40 seconds.   Every comic or mag that comes in gets a 600 dpi scan to a lossless format before I bag it so I know what I've got and have the image available for restoration, and I also take a scan when I sell a book just to remember it by (and because if I got a book 20 years ago, scanning it on newer technology before it's gone isn't a bad idea).  I'd guess people like to take a scan before they send in to grade, too, just so they have a nice image sans plastic - and so they can see the havoc wrought by grading gremlins j/k,n/k :ohnoez:

In translating an image to a computer screen, you can run into some issues when larger images get "squeezed down" to the width of our screens (1680,1920,etc.)  but the standards on screen widths go up over time just like our ability to handle and store large image files.

My scanner is over 15 years old.  I don't know if it has lost any ability over time or not.  It has a professional mode, but I don't know how to use a lot of it and I'm too lazy to look up the instructions on line.  In the beginning I scanned at only 72dpi, so I'm re-scanning a lot of books.  At 300 dpi it seems to miss some of the color, translating it into grays.  So, (and this is for @MattTheDuck too) after scanning I put the image into Photoshop Elements to correct as much color as I can.  Sometimes I cannot match some colors perfectly (like DC candy apple red), but I get 90% of it right.  Then I put the image into photo files by publisher, title, or genre, and also into my Flickr albums, which anyone can look at if you click on any of my pics here.  it's a pain, but nice to have a record of what you have.  I'm thinking of just taking pics with my camera and see if that is more accurate.  I did it with magazines and they came out pretty good, but I still had to adjust a little in photoshop. 

Edited by Tri-Color Brian

I got you on my Flickr feed, the colors seem fantastic but then so do the books :D

I actually think photographs give better color (truer color), but the lighting is tricky and you need a good camera.  A scan gives you more detail and is perfectly to scale but doesn't always look like the book.   As far as scanner quality, lots of different brands have their good and bad points.  All-in-ones should be avoided, and Epson is what I usually recommend to fam and neophytes as a mix of durability, economy, and quality.  On the high end, there are some sweet, sweet machines.  Artists have their picks which aren't always the same as book scanners that need a workhorse that will last for tens and tens of thousands of pages. 

On 2/20/2024 at 12:05 AM, Darwination said:

On the high end, there are some sweet, sweet machines.

List :foryou:

On 2/19/2024 at 11:54 PM, adamstrange said:

List :foryou:

Most artists seem to favor the Epson Expression XL line (think the current model is the 13000).  The price is "extra" high and I don't have personal experience with the machine.  I've only ever owned lower end Epsons (and hold on to one as a backup) and have no complaints outside of the software and maybe the need for constant pre-scan color tweaking.

For a flatbed, I love the look of the raws off of the Plustek OpticPro A320L.  Awesome colors.  I still use a Plustek A4 edge scanner as my workhorse and have owned at least 3 Plusteks over the years.  Upsides - color, speed, software.  Downside - customer service, not quite as sharp with age.

For an autofeed, I love the raws from the Fujitsu fi-7180.  Great color and sharpness.

My most recent scanner purchase was a refurbished ScannX 6167 A3 machine.  It was so damn cheap, I was skeptical, but it's such a solid beasty and the most substantial machine I've owned in terms of build (most scanners feel totally plastic and rinky dink). Downside on that particular machine is the software and that its not compatible with newer operating systems and the colors aren't peak, upside is clarity and speed and narrow margin on the edge feature.  I'd definitely consider the newest model (which does run on new operating systems) a competitor to the Plustek in that price range.

The thing about high end scanners is the price versus the lifespan - you're always rolling the dice.

My Epson WF7520 just died a few months ago that I've had for many years.

I bought an Epson again because I loved the 7520 but the WorkForce WF-7840 I got as a replacement just doesn't feel the same and I'm not happy with it.

I think its made by another manufacturer ,Seiko, than my old WF7520 and we ain't fitting like a glove in the transition so far.

We were together for 1.5 Terabytes of comic index scans.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:30 PM, Darwination said:

Most artists seem to favor the Epson Expression XL line (think the current model is the 13000).  The price is "extra" high and I don't have personal experience with the machine.  I've only ever owned lower end Epsons (and hold on to one as a backup) and have no complaints outside of the software and maybe the need for constant pre-scan color tweaking.

For a flatbed, I love the look of the raws off of the Plustek OpticPro A320L.  Awesome colors.  I still use a Plustek A4 edge scanner as my workhorse and have owned at least 3 Plusteks over the years.  Upsides - color, speed, software.  Downside - customer service, not quite as sharp with age.

For an autofeed, I love the raws from the Fujitsu fi-7180.  Great color and sharpness.

My most recent scanner purchase was a refurbished ScannX 6167 A3 machine.  It was so damn cheap, I was skeptical, but it's such a solid beasty and the most substantial machine I've owned in terms of build (most scanners feel totally plastic and rinky dink). Downside on that particular machine is the software and that its not compatible with newer operating systems and the colors aren't peak, upside is clarity and speed and narrow margin on the edge feature.  I'd definitely consider the newest model (which does run on new operating systems) a competitor to the Plustek in that price range.

The thing about high end scanners is the price versus the lifespan - you're always rolling the dice.

What I care about most is color fidelity in the resulting scan, then reliability, and then price.  Any recommendation based on that?

Thanks!

On 2/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, Darwination said:

I got you on my Flickr feed, the colors seem fantastic but then so do the books :D

I actually think photographs give better color (truer color), but the lighting is tricky and you need a good camera.  A scan gives you more detail and is perfectly to scale but doesn't always look like the book.   As far as scanner quality, lots of different brands have their good and bad points.  All-in-ones should be avoided, and Epson is what I usually recommend to fam and neophytes as a mix of durability, economy, and quality.  On the high end, there are some sweet, sweet machines.  Artists have their picks which aren't always the same as book scanners that need a workhorse that will last for tens and tens of thousands of pages. 

Mine is an Epson V500 PHOTO model.  If the fantastic colors you refer to are on the latest Photostream pics, those are the re-scans and tweaked colors.  Some of them are still off, but close enough.  Great info BTW.  I appreciate your expertise.