• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

RADA073F20141120_144033_zpsd90080e5.jpg

The Art of Glamour checklist disagrees, though, crediting Baker with the art in the Kid Kane story but not with the cover art.

Outstanding color on that copy Tony. Baker, Kamen, Feldstein? I don't care. I love it either way and am an equal fan of all 3. That and Flying Jenny #2 are two of my favorites. 

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

What did you think, Tony ? The "headlights" and many other elements just look a lot like Feldstein..... either way, it's a cool cover .....that static cling generator appears designed to disrobe the gals..... seems like a lot of trouble to go to, when a box of chocolates and a bottle of Sherry might work just as well.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... nice copy by the way.....

The horizontal fabric fold across the 'headlights" is a signature Feldstein touch, as is the thick inking, paricularly on the grass line creating a shadow effect. The slightly awkward tilt of the head in relation to the body also seems like Feldstein, but the face does look a little more like Baker than Feldstein, which is maybe why it is such attributed at times. 

Also, the tree doesn't say Baker to me, nor does the machine. In fact, I can't recall anything with a SciFi bent that Baker ever worked on..... but I may be forgetting something. GOD BLESS...

...... wow....my memory is getting bad..... Baker did work in Planet doh!

Edited by jimjum12

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

The horizontal fabric fold across the 'headlights" is a signature Feldstein touch, as is the thick inking, paricularly on the grass line creating a shadow effect. The slightly awkward tilt of the head in relation to the body also seems like Feldstein, but the face does look a little more like Baker than Feldstein, which is maybe why it is such attributed at times. 

Good call.  I see some Baker likeness in the girls face too, but nothing else looks Baker to me.

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Also, the tree doesn't say Baker to me, nor does the machine. In fact, I can't recall anything with a SciFi bent that Baker ever worked on..... but I may be forgetting something. GOD BLESS...

At the end of this career, he also did some sci-fi/fantasy/suspense stories for Atlas and Charlton.  I can't recall off the top of my head whether any contained sic-fi images like the machine on the Crown cover, but I'm thinking they didn't.

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

I often tend to overlook Baker's slim sci-fi output, too.  He did Mysta of the Moon in Planet Comics, but only for 7 or 8 issues. 

19 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

What's the consensus on this book? Baker cover? Either way it's in my top two or three of the run.

Ken

IMG_0374.JPG

The inset image of Phantom Lady looks like Baker.  For the rest of it, I see a collaborative effort.  One of my favorite PL's too!

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

The inset image of Phantom Lady looks like Baker.  For the rest of it, I see a collaborative effort.  One of my favorite PL's too!

Thanks for the info (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Inaflash said:
4 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Thanks for the info (thumbsu

That's the designation in The Art of Glamour checklist, and I think I agree.  The PLs are some of the more contested Baker attributions. 

On May 7, 2017 at 11:10 AM, comicnoir said:

The only part of the cover that really might be Baker for me is the guy on the left with the open mouth. Baker did mouths like that.

And yes, that is one weird cover.

I think I might have figured out that machine. Looks like a "girl magnet". The girl seems to be pulling back to it. She is obviously trying to run away from the thugs.

15 hours ago, Inaflash said:

What's the consensus on this book? Baker cover? Either way it's in my top two or three of the run.

Ken

IMG_0374.JPG

I think Baker. #17 is my favorite. This and #23 are tied for second. It sure has it all when it comes to GGA!

I picked up this issue a while back. Only copy I have ever seen for sale. Unfortunately, a printing defect of the front cover. But, a sharp crisp copy with nice colors.

5911fd500a233_CROWN7.thumb.jpg.ad6085e984ea856b96f59d7474236810.jpg

10 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

I picked up this issue a while back. Only copy I have ever seen for sale. Unfortunately, a printing defect of the front cover. But, a sharp crisp copy with nice colors.

Nice!  The later issues of Crown Comics seem to be very tough.

40 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Wow, nice one! Great color on your copy. Just added to the want list.

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
47 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Wow, nice one! Great color on your copy. Just added to the want list.

Me, too.  But I have a feeling we may be waiting a while before we locate one.

9 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Back from CGC. I had posted this with a group but didn't remember putting it here by itself. True Love Pictorial 11.

My memory is not great so if I already posted this after slabbing please just beat me down with nasty emoticons. :)

fc 4.0.jpg

Simply not possible to post copies of this book too often! :cloud9:

23 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Back from CGC. I had posted this with a group but didn't remember putting it here by itself. True Love Pictorial 11.

My memory is not great so if I already posted this after slabbing please just beat me down with nasty emoticons. :)

fc 4.0.jpg

What?! You don't remember that you would sell this to me for $100?  More than fair, right?