• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,100 posts in this topic

Artists Assemble Assignment #1 Link

Artists Assemble Vote #1 Link

Artists Assemble Assignment #2 Link

Artists Assemble Vote #2 Link

Artists Assemble Assignment #3 Link

Artists Assemble Vote #3 Link

Artists Assemble Assignment #4 Link

Artists Assemble Vote #4 Link

Those are great! Definitely in on that, and you give a few days to submit so I should be able to work it around my schedule. I love to draw on assignment, and it looks like everyone has fun doing it. Any idea on when you'll revive it? I'll make sure to not miss it!

I think we were giving almost 2 weeks to finish an assignment.

I'm thinking I'll start one around the second week of October. I'm pretty busy until then.

Thanks Vacant,been showing my stuff for years here.Where have you been,just kidding. :baiting:

I had a nice charcoal sketch of Bruce Lee i was going to put up... but your work puts it to SHAME!

Damn nice my man.

Dude show it off!

Those are great! Definitely in on that, and you give a few days to submit so I should be able to work it around my schedule. I love to draw on assignment, and it looks like everyone has fun doing it. Any idea on when you'll revive it? I'll make sure to not miss it!

I'm thinking I'll start one around the second week of October. I'm pretty busy until then.

Well since it's almost Halloween why not assign the boardies to do a Halloween themed cover. Maybe Flee could do a downloadable page with the title like CGC terror tales or some such and everybody could do their own B&W art.

Well since it's almost Halloween why not assign the boardies to do a Halloween themed cover. Maybe Flee could do a downloadable page with the title like CGC terror tales or some such and everybody could do their own B&W art.

Interesting. I think it will have to have some sort of Halloween theme. Good idea. (thumbs u

I posted the color image several months ago, but it must've dropped off of my photobucket account after trying to move and resize it awhile back (this was an oil painting requested for a convention program that recreated the look and feel of a vintage pulp/digest)...

FenconProgram1.jpg

Here are four of my older B&W pieces...

img_DemonicHead_127.jpg

img_DragonProgCover1_125.jpg

img_ItsMagic_133.jpg

img_Humanitarian_131.jpg

Thank you very much for all your advice.By the way your web site is awesome,really loved the Frankenstein and Vincent Price.Amazing stuff. (worship)

Thanks! My personal favorite is Bride of Frankenstein - I did it early on when I was developing my style. It came out looking great, but I could never recapture the nuances I put into it.

Look forward to seeing the cover recreation - be sure to post it here, and I'm looking forward to checking out your impending website! If you're not doing a website, you may look into deviantart.com - a fairly big community of artists with a great online gallery. I think there's others, but I've used that one for years.

Talk soon!

deviantart.com is definitely the ticket for "amateurs" like us. It's easy to sign up and all kinds of people get to see your stuff. It's always nice when someone adds a picture of mine to their favorites, at least then I know somebody liked it! lol.

As I have mentioned before, I recently picked up some DVD from the Gnomon Workshop website. I've tried books in the past, but I found that I learn much better if I watch somebody else apply the techniques, rather than just reading about it and then trying it on my own.

Anyway, the first DVD I am watching is titled Dynamic Figure Drawing Volume 1: The Head. David Finch is the instructor, yes that David Finch. There are three volumes of the Dynamic Figure Drawing that he does and each is 2 - 3 hours in length. The other two volumes encompass the body(volume 3) and then the hands and feet(volume 2). I'm only into the first few chapters because I am trying to treat it very much like homework or something similar...doing lots of repetition, watching the lecture more than once, etc.

One of the first thing he suggests is practicing the basic form of the head...just so you can repeat it in just about any position. Nothing fancy, just sketching. He then moves on to the other parts of the face and talks about each one individually.

I think the coolest thing about the DVD is how much it has already made me aware that all my preconceived fears(all the things holding me back all these years) were completely unfounded. I thought these guys just sat down at a table and whipped this stuff out without a second thought. But David Finch mentions it several times and you can see it in action, that certain head angles, etc. are more difficult for him and still give him problems. That knowledge in and of itself gave me loads of confidence, because it would be at that point, when I reached a spot in my artwork that was causing me problems and I couldn't do it like I wanted, I would get discouraged and say to myself I'll never be able to do what those guys do...what's the point. That lack of confidence has held me back for far too long.

Anyway, this is the very latest thing I have done. I haven't done a "finished" piece of work for some time. Life usually gets in the way, but I am trying to change that. I did this last night after watching the eye chapter again, eyes haven't ever really been that big of a problem for me, but I did learn something from his lecture. These two pages were quick sketches and took me less than a half hour...the head on the page with the eyeballs if wonky because I had the paper at such an angle and too far away, I didn't realize until I turned it upright how his face was off, but it was just practice anyway.

Sorry for the long post...I know everybody hates that...lol.

6166931692_7df8bbf5d7_z.jpg

Sketch 1 by dicjones, on Flickr]Sketch 1[/url]

6166933314_65041b5785_z.jpg

Sketch 2 by dicjones, on Flickr]Sketch 2[/url]

Edited by dicjones

deviantart.com is definitely the ticket for "amateurs" like us. It's easy to sign up and all kinds of people get to see your stuff. It's always nice when someone adds a picture of mine to their favorites, at least then I know somebody liked it! lol.

It doesn't have to necessarily be for amateurs. There are loads of professional artists on there, as it's a good way to reach your customer base, as well as helping you rank in the search engine. Deviantart.com has high value in the search engines, having your site linked there and reciprocally raises your relevancy in searches. There are other sites, I'm sure, that are just as popular. I used to participate on digitalart.org and a few others, but it just became too much to update - but, it was a good marketing move at a time before Facebook and MySpace stole website traffic because online user habits changed.

I'll have to look into the Dynamic Figure drawing. I'm an ol Burne Hogarth man, but I haven't heard about any new stuff until your post. Good stuff.

I have those books as well, but like I said, with books I don't gleam as much. I'd would venture that these DVD's are more geared towards Comic Book art training, but there are solid fundamentals in there as well. Gnomon has a ton of different DVD's though.

Also, I wasn't trying to suggest that deviantart is only for amateurs, I was just trying to say it is a nice way to get your work out there without being a professional and all the resources and contacts that professionals have.

I agree with you there - definitely gets your work out in front of people. There's a lot of *really* bad stuff on DA, but I think the more stuff you put there and the more you interact with their community, the more support you get I think. And if a guy doesn't want to start a website and do all that donkey flogging - it's a great replacement.